Government Motors: As GM Shares Near Record Low, Taxpayer Loss Now $35 Billion...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Despite spending several $Millions on propaganda campaigns telling us how well GM is doing, this is the sad reality. It's time to close the book on Corporate Welfare once and for all.

General Motors(GM) shares fell to a fresh 2012 closing low of 19.57 on Monday. The stock hit 19 in mid-December, the lowest since the auto giant came public at $33 in November 2010 following its June 2009 bankruptcy.

Normally you might say, tough luck investors. But this is Government Motors. The Treasury still owns 26.5% of GM, or 500 million shares. Taxpayers are still out $26.4 billion in direct aid. Shares would have to hit $53 for the government to break even. Those shares were worth about $9.8 billion as of Monday. That would leave taxpayers with a loss of $16.6 billion.

But that's not the full tally. Obama let GM keep $45 billion in past losses to offset future profits. Those are usually wiped out or slashed, along with debts, in bankruptcy. But the administration essentially gifted $45 billion in write-offs (book value $18 billion) to GM. So when GM earned a $7.6 billion profit in 2011 (more on that below), it paid no taxes.

Include that $18 billion gift, and taxpayers' true loss climbs to nearly $35 billion.

Of course, there's no chance that the Obama administration will sell off its GM stake before Election Day. That would force Obama to recognize actual losses, which would remind voters that the bailout was a massive transfer from taxpayers to unions...

Read More:
General Motors Stock At 2012 Low, Lifting Loss Taxpayer Losses To Nearly $35 Billion by Andrew Malcolm - Investors.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

But Obama Saved the Auto Industry, Everything was suppose to be great now right?

When will liberals ever learn that throwing money at a problem does not fix the problem.

Now that the American Public have eaten the losses I guess it's time for GM to move the production lines over seas.

Oh wait, they're already doing that.

But Obama Saved the Auto Industry, Everything was suppose to be great now right?

When will liberals ever learn that throwing money at a problem does not fix the problem.

Oh, what b.s. I guarantee you if Gov't Motors offered buyers $75,000.00 rebates on the purchase of $40,000.00 Chevy Volts those babies would fly off the showroom floors. How they'd handle future recalls though is anyone's guess.

Oh, what b.s. I guarantee you if Gov't Motors offered buyers $75,000.00 rebates on the purchase of $40,000.00 Chevy Volts those babies would fly off the showroom floors. How they'd handle future recalls though is anyone's guess.

yeah sure they would fly off the problem, but how would that fix the problem? lol

I'd short GM but you never know when Obama will decide to throw another $30 Billion of our tax dollar to save the UAW.

70,000 current employees have to pay for 700,000 retirees. There's no way the company makes a profit, its an accounting fiction.

Their pension liability is equal to more than 100% of every cent the company ever made since inception.

Next time, let the fucking company go bankrupt for real

Now that the American Public have eaten the losses I guess it's time for GM to move the production lines over seas.

Oh wait, they're already doing that.

Yes, many of their new models will be built in foreign countries. The American Taxpayer gets screwed again. Par for the course these days i guess.

Not sure what these Fools thought.

The Problem we had was we had 3 Companies Competing over a Much smaller Share of the Market than before. The Markets Solution would most likely have been for 1 or more of them to enter Bankruptcy Protection, and Likely 1 of those failing completely.

Where Liberals fuck up in is thinking that's a horrible thing.

What we would likely have ended up with is 2 More Efficient Companies Sharing the Market Share of the 1 that didn't make it.

Instead we tried to toss money at it, and hope all 3 Could survive despite the Market Reality.

They can't even deliver the mail at cost now after burying GM sure give them healthcare (1/6 of our economy)
People are just stupid

:lol: OK I have a change of heart I'm going to get a $47,000 puddle jumper that goes 27.2 miles on overnight charge. Lmbo that'll sell (if gas is $9.99) was that the plan? As my favorite lady says "You betcha" lol @ greentards in DC and at GM .....

I'd short GM but you never know when Obama will decide to throw another $30 Billion of our tax dollar to save the UAW.

70,000 current employees have to pay for 700,000 retirees (:eek:). There's no way the company makes a profit, its an accounting fiction.

Their pension liability is equal to more than 100% of every cent the company ever made since inception.

Next time, let the fucking company go bankrupt for real
Just like Social Security and Leveraged Derivatives Ponzi Schemes.

In my life I owned various General Motors Products:

1958 Oldmobile
1961 Pontiac convertible
1962 Pontiac

Then for a short period I fell on hard times and owned

1952 Chevrolet

After recovery:

1966 Chevelle convertible
1968 Cutlass

Then I got married, had kids, had fuel efficient imports, until:

1990 Pontiac
1992 Pontiac Sunbird

By and large, I was happy with most, if not all of them.

But neither a GM or a Chrysler product EVER be part of my life again. Two reasons:

Bail-out and Union "labor".

Forum List

Back