Government makes us poor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Some very good points in this article. I really need to start paying more attention to Stossell.

Government Makes Us Poor - Reason Magazine

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,194
    Ben Fraklin's tract "The way to wealth" involves a wise old man being asked by fellow shoppers what he thinks about the burdens that Government places on us.

The Wise man, Father Abraham, responds that while a government that taxed it's people of 10% of it's time would be incredibly burdensome, that we as a people burden ourselves in general even more than the government because of our idleness, our foolishness/carelessness, and because of our pride.

I think Mr Franklin was right. Our current government burdens us even far more than the 10% he mentioned. Yet despite the fact that we are burdened at least 33% of the year by our government, we burden ourselves more through our idleness, foolishness/carelessness, and becauses of our pride.

I think if we were to repent of our sins; if we were to cease to be idle, to become wise and careful with the stewardship God has given us, and become humble, like a little child, as God desires, that we be able to overcome the burdens the government places on us in regardless to wealth creation. Not only would we be blessed simply by applying these principles, but if we turned to God while doing so we can be blessed even more.

If we are a people who ceases to be idle, who is humble, and who is careful with that which we have, we will become a people who can make wealth easily if we choose it.

The only thing I would add is we need to seek to be an honest and trustworthy people. How many people lose opportunities for wealth because they sell their good name?