Government killing minors who are American citizens

I'm ambivalent about the targeted killing program in general. To me, the justification for killing someone in this way is that any method that left him or her alive would be sufficiently dangerous to other people. By this criterion, issues like age or citizenship don't really matter. Of course, legally they might very well matter, but I'm speaking morally.

By the same token, I'm absolutely opposed to government killings when nonlethal alternatives are readily available. Therefore, I oppose executions, of minors and non-minors.

But we know they targeted Anwar al-Awlaki. Didn't just kill him as collateral damage.
We targeted Al-Awlaki after Several Years of Attempting to Take him into Custody alive.

When they didn't seem to have enough evidence against him to place him in prison for longer than 15 years.
You have no idea how much evidence we have now, nor how long we could have put him in prison for.

Besides who cares, Like I said This is a very unique Case Anwar al-Awlaki Did not keep it secret that he was at war with the US. He was on Tape, He had chose to hide out in a country he knew we could not get to him any other way in, He was engaged in War against the US.

When a US citizen broadcasts on the Internet that they have joined our enemy, and are at war with the US. They should have no more rights as a Citizen, they are they enemy. We should be able to kill them with no more evidence than their own Statements.

I'm not saying these quotes you are responding to, why are you doing this?:confused:

We're supposed to be better than they are.

If he was "knee deep" we should have been able to prove it. If we didn't even know enough about him to have his age right, how can you trust anything else you've heard against him?

If he was innocent what was he doing in an Al Qaeda hide out? His age is really irrelevant to me if he was working with Al Qaeda to kill Americans. In Yemen 16 is a man anyways they don't do the whole ""minor" thing like we do here.

Probably because his father was. Do you think an adolescent or mother was going to tell a islamic fundamentalist how to raise his children?

This kid was essentially a prisoner he had about as much freedom over the course of his life. I'm not saying that gives him a pass, but if your dad was in a 3rd world country while you were in your teens I bet you would be there. So lets not over exaggerate the independence he had. Regardless I think it is dangerous just off the face of it, they should of just went through the trial. I don't understand how that's so hard. They wanna try 9/11 plotters in civilian court in NYC but they don't want to give citizens atleast some form of a trial before calling in a drone on them?

It makes no sense and its a joke. Screw OWS the people should be pissed about this, but their peanut brains and their representatives peanut brains doesn't allow for them to remember something more than two weeks that they can't see the effects of.

How the fuck are they supposed to put these people on trial when they were hiding out with Al Qaeda in Yemen?:cuckoo:

Any American who's hanging out with Al Qaeda is committing treason. They don't get my sympathies. They're glad that they killed 3,000 of our innocent people. And they'd do it tomorrow if they could. If they could bomb an orphanage-they would without hesitating. You think age has ever stopped them in the past? They'll strap bombs on their children to blow our soldiers up.

It's ridiculous how many people think being an American citizen means you're automatically more special than the next person-you're not. If he wasn't a US citizen this would be a non-issue.

Any American who's hanging out with Al Qaeda is committing treason. They don't get my sympathies. They're glad that they killed 3,000 of our innocent people. And they'd do it tomorrow if they could. If they could bomb an orphanage-they would without hesitating. You think age has ever stopped them in the past? They'll strap bombs on their children to blow our soldiers up.

It's ridiculous how many people think being an American citizen means you're automatically more special than the next person-you're not. If he wasn't a US citizen this would be a non-issue.

Bingo.

We don't know because our gov't won't tell us who they were targeting.

What we do know is that our gov't contentedly reported that they had killed Awlaki's 21-year-old son. So they were aware he was there and they didn't do enough due diligence to find that he was a child before they killed him.

Why does it matter? It was an Al Qeada Hide out, it's a legit Target no matter who is hiding in it.

The government is not obligated to "do due Diligence" to make sure no American Citizens are in side an Al Qeada Hide out before we bomb it.

But we know they targeted Anwar al-Awlaki. Didn't just kill him as collateral damage. When they didn't seem to have enough evidence against him to place him in prison for longer than 15 years.

And we know they trumpeted that they killed the menacing 21-year-old son of Anwar al-Awlaki, proving that they didn't even have good enough intelligence to know that he was significantly less than 21.

They are seriously undermining their claim that we should be able to trust them to appropriately target American citizens without filing charges and seeking convictions first.

Good Lord! Go hug a tree somewhere until you get over it.

Why does it matter? It was an Al Qeada Hide out, it's a legit Target no matter who is hiding in it.

The government is not obligated to "do due Diligence" to make sure no American Citizens are in side an Al Qeada Hide out before we bomb it.

But we know they targeted Anwar al-Awlaki. Didn't just kill him as collateral damage. When they didn't seem to have enough evidence against him to place him in prison for longer than 15 years.

And we know they trumpeted that they killed the menacing 21-year-old son of Anwar al-Awlaki, proving that they didn't even have good enough intelligence to know that he was significantly less than 21.

They are seriously undermining their claim that we should be able to trust them to appropriately target American citizens without filing charges and seeking convictions first.

Until I get over my concern about the constitution and targeting Americans without filing charges against them ... or even doing even enough research to learn their age? Fat chance.

Just how sucky are our intelligence agencies that they would tout the killing of a child by declaring that they took out a 21-year-old?

Last edited:

Until I get over my concern about the constitution and targeting Americans without filing charges against them ... or even doing even enough research to learn their age? Fat chance.

Just how sucky are our intelligence agencies that they would tout the killing of a child by declaring that they took out a 21-year-old?

So they got his age wrong, who cares? nobody is perfect.

Again, how do you know it was not the other people in the terrorist cell that were the target? You don't. All you know is that this little terrorist got killed along with the rest of them.

boohoo... Allahu Akbar for that.

Again, how do you know it was not the other people in the terrorist cell that were the target? You don't. All you know is that this little terrorist got killed along with the rest of them.

Actually, upon further reading, it seems likely that the child was NOT the target.

However, that doesn't change the fact that our intelligence was so bad that we touted his killing as that of a 21-year-old. And we were so proud of it that we put it in news releases ahead of the man who may have been the actual target.

This kind of recklessness and ignorance is what comes of not holding our government accountable and only caring about the constitution when dealing with someone we are sympathetic to.

Last edited:

Actually, upon further reading, it seems likely that the child was NOT the target.

However, that doesn't change the fact that our intelligence was so bad that we touted his killing as that of a 21-year-old. And we were so proud of it that we put it in news releases ahead of the man who may have been the actual target.

This kind of recklessness and ignorance is what comes of not holding our government accountable and only caring about the constitution when dealing with someone we are sympathetic to.

Who cares? I am glad they went ahead with the strike.

This makes what I believe a bad precedent Obama has set to a completely unacceptable one.

Damn, I hate to say it, but Obama is setting bad precedent.

We stopped waterboarding and are just wasting them.... I mean WTF???

Think about it.... how much information died with them.

I say catch them, torture the FUCK out of them, and go get the rest of them to do the same thing to them.
A message will be heard loud and clear.

Instead, Obama decides who is killed and makes it happen. Kind of like a mobster has his enemies dispatched.

I dont like it... bad UNconstitutional things are going on in DC.

You are worried about the wrong thing.... age is irrelevant to me.

Im worried about the hitman in the White House.

You are worried about the wrong thing.... age is irrelevant to me.

Im worried about the hitman in the White House.

Me too. But this thread was about the child - and our scarily bad intelligence which didn't even know the ages of the most wanted man's American-born children.

I exhausted myself arguing about the hit being put out on the father in other threads.

On the subject of the father, I continue to hope that the ACLU and at least some diehard media members will keep the pressure on about it. I don't have the resources, and obviously it's a losing battle to fight on these boards where so many people right and left say, "too bad, so sad" in what seems to me to be a shortsighted manner.

Forum List

Back