Government killing minors who are American citizens

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
I know that a large portion of this board favored killing Anwar al-Awlaki even though our gov't had not first filed charges against him much less obtained a conviction.

But are you in favor of killing minor children who are American citizens?

Do you trust a government which can't even get the ages correct of the young people it is killing? If they had to actually go through the motions of filing charges first they would have to do a little bit of investigation and maybe they would think better of killing children. At least I hope they would.

The killing of Awlaki’s 16-year-old son - Salon.com

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki's birth certificate - The Washington Post

Two weeks after the U.S. killed American citizen Anwar Awlaki with a drone strike in Yemen — far from any battlefield and with no due process — it did the same to his 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, ending the teenager’s life on Friday along with his 17-year-old cousin and seven other people. News reports, based on government sources, originally claimed that Awlaki’s son was 21 years old and an Al Qaeda fighter (needless to say, as Terrorist often means: “anyone killed by the U.S.”), but a birth certificate published by The Washington Post proved that he was born only 16 years ago in Denver. As The New Yorker‘s Amy Davidson wrote: “Looking at his birth certificate, one wonders what those assertions say either about the the quality of the government’s evidence — or the honesty of its claims — and about our own capacity for self-deception.” The boy’s grandfather said that he and his cousin were at a barbecue and preparing to eat when the U.S. attacked them by air and ended their lives.

I know that a large portion of this board favored killing Anwar al-Awlaki even though our gov't had not first filed charges against him much less obtained a conviction.

Do you trust a government which can't even get the ages correct of the young people it is killing? If they had to actually go through the motions of filing charges first they would have to do a little bit of investigation and maybe they would think better of killing children. At least I hope they would.

Two weeks after the U.S. killed American citizen Anwar Awlaki with a drone strike in Yemen — far from any battlefield and with no due process — it did the same to his 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, ending the teenager’s life on Friday along with his 17-year-old cousin and seven other people. News reports, based on government sources, originally claimed that Awlaki’s son was 21 years old and an Al Qaeda fighter (needless to say, as Terrorist often means: “anyone killed by the U.S.”), but a birth certificate published by The Washington Post proved that he was born only 16 years ago in Denver. As The New Yorker‘s Amy Davidson wrote: “Looking at his birth certificate, one wonders what those assertions say either about the the quality of the government’s evidence — or the honesty of its claims — and about our own capacity for self-deception.” The boy’s grandfather said that he and his cousin were at a barbecue and preparing to eat when the U.S. attacked them by air and ended their lives.

Kill :Boom2: ALL radical terrorists, their children, their grandchildren...and all who support them...no matter their age or citizenship in any one or more countries!

Last edited:

Works for me. :thup:

and if he has another one .... kill him too.

This makes what I believe a bad precedent Obama has set to a completely unacceptable one.

• Banned
His son was knee deep in the game, I don't remember Al Qaeda taking precautions to try and not kill American kids.

We're supposed to be better than they are.

If he was "knee deep" we should have been able to prove it. If we didn't even know enough about him to have his age right, how can you trust anything else you've heard against him?

• Banned
Our government killed a 16-year-old American citizen whose grandfather says he was just getting ready to eat.

Our government claimed he was 21 and involved in war-like activities.

Something is profoundly wrong with this picture.

His son was knee deep in the game, I don't remember Al Qaeda taking precautions to try and not kill American kids.

If he was "knee deep" we should have been able to prove it. If we didn't even know enough about him to have his age right, how can you trust anything else you've heard against him?

If he was innocent what was he doing in an Al Qaeda hide out? His age is really irrelevant to me if he was working with Al Qaeda to kill Americans. In Yemen 16 is a man anyways they don't do the whole ""minor" thing like we do here.

Our government killed a 16-year-old American citizen whose grandfather says he was just getting ready to eat.

I have zero issue with it. One less terrorist in the world.

How do you know we were not targeting one of the 17 other people he was with?

If he was innocent what was he doing in an Al Qaeda hide out? His age is really irrelevant to me if he was working with Al Qaeda to kill Americans. In Yemen 16 is a man anyways they don't do the whole ""minor" thing like we do here.

What was he doing in an Al Qaeda hideout? What teenagers do. Living with family.

If he was really innocent he shouldn't have been there surrounded by Al Qaeda affiliates.

We don't know because our gov't won't tell us who they were targeting.

What we do know is that our gov't contentedly reported that they had killed Awlaki's 21-year-old son. So they were aware he was there and they didn't do enough due diligence to find that he was a child before they killed him.

What was he doing in an Al Qaeda hideout? What teenagers do. Living with family.

No thats what American teenagers do, at 16 in Yemen you are old enough to go out and do your own thing.

No thats what American teenagers do, at 16 in Yemen you are old enough to go out and do your own thing.

In other countries, young people stay with their families longer than they do in America.

We don't know because our gov't won't tell us who they were targeting.

What we do know is that our gov't contentedly reported that they had killed Awlaki's 21-year-old son. So they were aware he was there and they didn't do enough due diligence to find that he was a child before they killed him.

So the government has to tell us everything on the people we are targetting?

In other countries, young people stay with their families longer than they do in America.

Maybe so but if this guy was really not involved with his father, shouldn't have been in a Al Qaeda hide out.

Anwar Awlaki was a very Unique Case. He was on Record stating his intentions to make war on the United States. He had fled the country and was hiding out in a place that taking him alive was not a real Option. he was actively engaged in attempting to kill Americans.

So in that one case I was willing to make an exception. Now, as far as his son, it depends. If he is also engaged in attempting to do us harm, while hiding in Another Country, and if he is publicly on record saying he was at war with us, then I would consider it, If not Absolutely not.

If that is the case

Then its the family's fault for putting a minor in harms way.

If that is the case

Then its the family's fault for putting a minor in harms way.

Exactly, plus in Yemen 16 is not really considered a "minor", they don't do things the same way we do here in the US, you can be 16 married with kids in some of those tribal provinces.

Forum List

Back