Government does not create jobs

Think of all the advances we have today thanks to the Space Program. You can be sure as hell the private sector wouldn't have made that happen.
Utter, total debunked baloney.

Urban Legends of NASA: What They Did Not Invent

First of all, that's a bunch of BS. Thousands of innovations and technologies occurred as a result of the race for space. NASA didn't actually invent those technologies themselves for the most part, but the framework for the advances would never have existed if the Space Program didn't happen. You ever hear of "cause and effect"?

And how about the internet that the government funded the production of, or the inter-continental phone lines, or the railways, or the Hoover Dam, or all the other infrastructure projects that are used by thousands of industries and millions of people across America, and provide millions of JOBS to millions of Americans.

Do all those jobs just "not count" because they aren't "real jobs"? That's a giant line of horse-hockey.

The Government CREATED those jobs, and laid the way for the creation of millions of more jobs that would not have been possible without the pre-existing infrastructure that the government provided.

And if you think any private industry would have laid out the massive amounts of capital required for any of those things, you're out of you mind.

Oh, and to the OP, I guess you don't consider being a soldier to be a "job"?

I guess folks who have been in the military, like me, weren't really performing a worthwhile service, we were just living off the public dole and wasting the taxpayer's money, right?
Red herring.

A legitimate function of lawful de jure government is protecting the nation against military force from without....The natural collectivized extension of the individual right of self-defense, a "job" that already exists.

It's not a "red herring", it's a perfectly legitimate point.

If the military were not paid for by government, it would still be needed, and would still have to be paid for by private industry to protect their interests. Thus the military is a source of "Jobs" that are necessary for us all.

Last edited:
It's sad that public service is equated to the mafia. Not really surprising, considering the source, but sad.

When did that happen? When did a group of fucktards decide that serving the public was a bad thing?
At least a real crook will only rob me once, and not condescend to me about how not wanting to be robbed means I have no compassion.
Compassion has nothing to do with it. Most people in public service actually care about their fellow Americans.

But you go right on thinking they are all crooks.

Asshole.

It's sad that public service is equated to the mafia. Not really surprising, considering the source, but sad.

When did that happen? When did a group of fucktards decide that serving the public was a bad thing?
At least a real crook will only rob me once, and not condescend to me about how not wanting to be robbed means I have no compassion.
Compassion has nothing to do with it. Most people in public service actually care about their fellow Americans.

Asshole.
Most people in "public service" either aren't doing anything that couldn't be provided for via the free market, or are completely redundant and useless.

But you g'head and keep on worshiping Big Daddy Big Gubmint and the bureaucrat, foo. :lol:

Most people in "public service" either aren't doing anything that couldn't be provided for via the free market, or are completely redundant and useless.

But you g'head and keep on worshiping Big Daddy Big Gubmint and the bureaucrat, foo. :lol:

So, what firm would have built the Hoover Dam, the internet, the National Highway system, and the Intercontinental phone lines?

And if you can think of one, how long do you think it would have taken them to do so, in relation to how long it took the government to do it?

So, what firm would have built the Hoover Dam, the internet, the National Highway system, and the Intercontinental phone lines?

And if you can think of one, how long do you think it would have taken them to do so, in relation to how long it took the government to do it?
How about this for an example?

The Central Pacific and Union Pacific built the transcontinental railroad with no power tools outside a single steam shovel used in the Weber canyon and their own locomotives. Only hand tools, animals and explosives.

This feat has never been equalled since, due to the reliance on power machinery to do the job.

Of course, I'm very familiar with Credit Mobilier and the CP Construction Companies and the shenanigans they pulled back then to skim profits. Today, most of those tricks are illegal, and could not happen again. Not to mention the massive land incentives that I think were well used in which to draw people westward and connect the nation. This experience helped shape our nation and create a lot of necessary law to help society run smoothly.

Anyway, This was also done during some of the worst winters on record as well as during the Civil War, where many projects expended more gunpowder than the battles raging to the east, and did so with massive price inflation due to resource scarcity. I cannot imagine the US government of the day, let alone today, providing this engineering feat cheaper than what the two private companies did.

Last edited:

Asshole.

People in public service are looking for the cadillac health care plans and retirement benefits after twenty years. They like the control over other people's lives, in part, because they think they are better and smarter than the public they are supposed to serve.

Government jobs produce nothing. It's from the private sector that taxes are collected to pay the salaries of those government workers.

The number of public sector jobs are exploding, while private sector jobs continue to fall. Meanwhile the salaries of the public sector are also rising at phenomenal rates. This is across the board; federal and state. Now in the failing states, ie., CA, IL the numbers are not rising as fast, but still rising. One has to wonder how?

Then again, there was a lot of support by SEIU for the current administration and there are reasons that the head of that union visited the White House more than any other person. Guess what, the total number of Union government workers exceeds the number of private sector union workers, in spite of there still being, for the time being, many more private sector employees.

Yet millions of Americans, many of them reading this, work for the government.

Odd that.

Those 'jobs' produce nothing that create wealth for the system. Indeed, those salaries suck the wealth from the system. Is government necessary? Yes. Does it need to be as big as possible to be effective? No.

A government that creates and maintains jobs. Someone should come up with a name for that.

Asshole.

People in public service are looking for the cadillac health care plans and retirement benefits after twenty years. They like the control over other people's lives, in part, because they think they are better and smarter than the public they are supposed to serve.

Yeah people in public service like cops , firefighters, Marines, teachers and the like are such elietists.

You people seem to live in a world all made up by the people who want to USE your stupidity to distroy any sense of community Americans try to build.

I'm so very sick of your brainwashed stupidity.

Of course the local governments are feeling the pain first. A city around here I'm very familiar with had $30m set aside for emergencies 2 years ago. Since then its shortfall in projected tax revenues has had a shortfall of nearly $1m per quarter. Thus far they've been able to cut expenditures, (salt, landscaping, etc.), and not replace retired workers to make ends meet. The time is running out. They are going to have to start letting workers go.

IL has managed to just keep spending, while going further into debt. That is unsustainable, just like the fed. It's going to come crashing down and likely on those of us that have been paying and not taking.

Yet millions of Americans, many of them reading this, work for the government.

Odd that.

Those 'jobs' produce nothing that create wealth for the system. Indeed, those salaries suck the wealth from the system. Is government necessary? Yes. Does it need to be as big as possible to be effective? No.

Your a teacher for gods sake.

Asshole.

Yeah people in public service like cops , firefighters, Marines, teachers and the like are such elietists.

You people seem to live in a world all made up by the people who want to USE your stupidity to distroy any sense of community Americans try to build.

I'm so very sick of your brainwashed stupidity.

I think you meant elitist, but yeah, those people think they are better than the rest of us. Thanks for giving such a good example. Granted not all of them think that way, but there is a substantial number of them that do.

Of course the local governments are feeling the pain first. A city around here I'm very familiar with had $30m set aside for emergencies 2 years ago. Since then its shortfall in projected tax revenues has had a shortfall of nearly $1m per quarter. Thus far they've been able to cut expenditures, (salt, landscaping, etc.), and not replace retired workers to make ends meet. The time is running out. They are going to have to start letting workers go.

IL has managed to just keep spending, while going further into debt. That is unsustainable, just like the fed. It's going to come crashing down and likely on those of us that have been paying and not taking.

And why are they in such a mess?

Because the republicans tanked the economy and nearly put us into a depression.

With the proper curbs on our capitolistic system we have been able to level the huge swings it produces without regulations.

Forum List

Back