Government Did Not Build Your Business

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Government Did Not Build Your Business - Reason.com

The 2012 study found that while new business startups created 2.3 million jobs between March 2009 and March 2010, the net job creation from all U.S. private sector firms was minus 1.8 million jobs. The U.S. unemployment rate was then 9.7 percent. The number of business startups has dropped from 554,109 in 1987 to 394,632 in 2010. The 2012 Kaufmann report notes that the share of job creation from young firms has fallen from more than 40 percent in the 1980s to 30 percent now. While acknowledging that the severity of the Great Recession no doubt contributes to this decline in entrepreneurial activity, it is important to note that startups were a major factor in lifting the U.S. economy out of previous economic downturns. Why is new firm creation lagging now? Perhaps it has something to do with the Obama administration’s idea of governance.

First, numerous studies find that higher tax and regulatory burdens impede entrepreneurial activity which in turn slow economic growth and job creation.
For example, a 2010 study, "The Economic Effects of the Regulatory Burden," done for the Swedish Agency for Growth Policy Analysis (of all places), found that while some rules are necessary for entrepreneurs and markets to function “that countries with a light regulatory burden show more rapid economic growth in GDP per capita.” A 2008 study, "Government Size, Composition, Volatility, and Economic Growth," done for the European Central Bank examined the effect of government size and fiscal volatility on economic growth for developed countries between 1970 and 2004. The study finds that the bigger government and the slower the growth rate. Every percentage point increase in the share of total revenue going to government decreases overall economic output by more than a tenth of a percent. The report further noted, “Public capital formation may indeed turn out to be less productive if devoted to inefficient projects, or if it crowds out private investment.” Other words, despite the impression that Obama gives, not every government expenditure on infrastructure or a business subsidy is an “investment.”

Just fitting the narrative that our beloved Bozo-In-Chief really should be retired in Jan 2013 and someone brought in who would be less of a Bozo.

Bozo vs. Less Bozo. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

From the Article:

In the Virginia speech, the president also observed, “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.” As parts of “this unbelievable American system” that “allowed” businesses to “thrive,” the president cited “a great teacher” and that “somebody invested in roads and bridges.” With regard to building a business, the nebulous “somebody” who “made that happen” is, of course, government.

So what are the real background conditions for enabling economic growth and the production of increasing wealth? Intuitively most people think of wealth as chiefly consisting of material items, e.g., factories, farms, forests, mines, houses, ports, telecommunications networks, and yes, roads and bridges. However, research at the World Bank has found that once all of a country’s natural and produced capital is added up, they together generally constitute less than 20 percent of its actual wealth; the remaining 80 percent is intangible. What is intangible wealth? The World Bank study, The Changing Wealth of Nations [PDF], defines it as “human capital, social, and institutional capital, which includes factors such as the rule of law and governance that contribute to an efficient economy.”

Human capital is the set of skills and knowledge people living in a country have acquired. This is roughly measured by the average years of schooling per capita and a country’s average healthy life expectancy. So yes, great teachers certainly do contribute to the development of human capital. But it’s worth noting that the U.S. spends the most per pupil in the world, rising in constant dollars from $4,500 per student in 1970 to $10,500 in 2008. In the meantime that 17-year-old students in 1973 scored 285 points on the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests. In 2008, they scored one point higher—286 points. The math scores were 304 and 306 respectively. Our public school teachers may be great and better paid, but the data don’t show they’ve gotten better results.

Who ever said Government built your business?

That is stupid?

“If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” declared President Barack Obama at a campaign stop last week in Virginia. Evidently, the president believes that economic growth and job creation are largely the result of actions taken by benevolent government agencies. But while it is certainly the case that good governance is essential, entrepreneurs engaging in voluntary cooperation coordinated through competition in free markets is what actually creates wealth and jobs.

I could not agree 100% more (with RightWinger).

Last edited:
“If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen”

Barack Hussein Obama

According to our leader it wasn't the business owner.
I'm thinking Obama was stating that government is responsible.

“If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen”

Barack Hussein Obama

According to our leader it wasn't the business owner.
I'm thinking Obama was stating that government is responsible.

To be clear I was referencing the quote from RightRingWorm. What Obama said was stupid. And I am thanking him every day for saying it......!

How was it taken out of context?:confused:
I just love when politicians get called out for
saying what they really meant...
Then it's I was taken out of context time....:eusa_boohoo:

Last edited:
"But while it is certainly the case that good governance is essential..."

One thing we haven't been getting under voodoo, and especially under Boooosh and now McConnell and Boner.

"No compromise, un-American GOP" (TIME)...

That is stupid?

“If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” declared President Barack Obama at a campaign stop last week in Virginia. Evidently, the president believes that economic growth and job creation are largely the result of actions taken by benevolent government agencies. But while it is certainly the case that good governance is essential, entrepreneurs engaging in voluntary cooperation coordinated through competition in free markets is what actually creates wealth and jobs.

If one is going to quote the president, cite the entire quote, in context:

Of course, Obama’s supposedly insulting comment is somewhat different in context. The full text of his speech, rather than denigrate small business, challenged the idea that wealthy and successful individuals have never benefited from government programs:

I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Without the context, Obama’s point that individual effort is bolstered by community systems is completely lost. The idea is nothing new; Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) made very similar comments that went viral in September of last year. Indeed, far from denigrating small business owners, Obama has cut taxes on small businesses 17 times.
Deliberately editing Obama out of context is not a new tactic for conservatives. In one blatant example, a recent Romney campaign ad quoted Obama saying, “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose,” a quote Obama was in fact using to criticize then-candidate John McCain for his refusal to discuss the economic crisis in 2008.

Conservatives Selectively Edit Obama's Speech To Claim He Hates Small Businesses | ThinkProgress

Another GOTCHA BS Pub dupe talking point ad nauseum...

Romney's ACTUAL plan- Cut taxes on rich, destroy Medicare/aid, Health Reform, raise pentagon spending, cut regs on Wall St, worry about debt in 2035...BRILLIANT

A W clone, but no personality...

Another GOTCHA BS Pub dupe talking point ad nauseum...

Romney's ACTUAL plan- Cut taxes on rich, destroy Medicare/aid, Health Reform, raise pentagon spending, cut regs on Wall St, worry about debt in 2035...BRILLIANT

A W clone, but no personality...

Prove it.

That is stupid?

Actual quote..
Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

You left wing asshats are missing the assertions (notice I didn't say pont) of the article.

The article says that good governance underpins a lot of what we do.

That should keep you from changing the plastic liners in your beds for one night.

However, there is an argument that says that there is information that indicates that governance can also get in the way. So, you didn't build that - we did....can also be you built that in spite of us.

If we needed another thread on the speech....I would not be the one starting it.

Such reactionaries.

That is stupid?

Actual quote..
Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

If he meant roads and bridges he should have said those meaning roads and bridges.
He said that meaning business.... :eusa_hand:

You guys can try all you want but it ain't gonna happen..
I will make sure each and every day that people remember what he said.

Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited:
Did the founders change the government from the Articles of Confederation to the new Constitution to help business? (Charles Beard, Economic Interpretation of the Constitution.)
In any case the first thing the new government did under the new Constitution was to pass laws helping our, "infant industry," and since that time government has been helping our industry.

Did the founders change the government from the Articles of Confederation to the new Constitution to help business? (Charles Beard, Economic Interpretation of the Constitution.)
In any case the first thing the new government did under the new Constitution was to pass laws helping our, "infant industry," and since that time government has been helping our industry.

Did you read the article ?

It's key assertion is that you really need to understand what our "capital" is.

Next it points out that government can both help and hurt.

Obama is quick to point out "you didn't do that on your own" (which, if someone without an agenda said it would be fine....by the way he chided people for thinking they are smarter than others or who work harder than others....there is no one I know who works longer than a small business person), but he never acknowledges that to much government can be a real pain in the ass. Small business creation has slipped significantly. Because of Obama ? Don't know....but you can't take that off the table.

Forum List

Back