Not open for further replies.

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Government-Christian Groups Lock Horns over Anti-Conversion Bill
Champika Liyanaarachchi
OneWorld South Asia
29 July 2004

COLOMBO, July 29 (OneWorld) - Christian groups are strongly opposing Sri Lanka's move to introduce a Bill banning religious conversions, with the Supreme Court also receiving 25 petitions in its favor and 21 against it, placing the government in a tight spot.

While the Bill was tabled in Parliament last week as a private member motion by opposition parliamentarian Venerable Dr Omalpe Sobhitha of the all monks party Jathika Hela Urumaya (JHU), it is considered a test run for the ruling United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) which had earlier promised to table a similar one.

http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/90866/1/

-------------------------

Sri Lanka's government is heavily influenced by hardline Buddhists, who have a lot to lose if freedom of religion is allowed.

That's pretty sad indeed. Kind of interesting, though...instead of kicking out Christianity, they are just pushing to freeze it.

-Douglas

gop_jeff said:
Government-Christian Groups Lock Horns over Anti-Conversion Bill
Champika Liyanaarachchi
OneWorld South Asia
29 July 2004

COLOMBO, July 29 (OneWorld) - Christian groups are strongly opposing Sri Lanka's move to introduce a Bill banning religious conversions, with the Supreme Court also receiving 25 petitions in its favor and 21 against it, placing the government in a tight spot.

What if the Buddhists groups from Sri Lanka came to America in great numbers in order to convert Christians, Jews and Muslims to their faith?

Suddenly and with a concerted effort, a large segment of Americans began finding Buddhism as an alternative to their previous beliefs in Christ and G-d. Would that be a problem?

ajwps said:
What if the Buddhists groups from Sri Lanka came to America in great numbers in order to convert Christians, Jews and Muslims to their faith?

Suddenly and with a concerted effort, a large segment of Americans began finding Buddhism as an alternative to their previous beliefs in Christ and G-d. Would that be a problem?

Not for me. Our legal system is an abstraction of previous justice systems which evolved in christian nations. Most of our policies are justifiable on a logical level, though many will claim we are a christian nation. What they're saying is this: We're a nation with a system of values ABSTRACTED FROM historically Christo-Judaen societies.

rtwngAvngr said:
Not for me. Our legal system is an abstraction of previous justice systems which evolved in christian nations. Most of our policies are justifiable on a logical level, though many will claim we are a christian nation. What they're saying is this: We're a nation with a system of values ABSTRACTED FROM historically Christo-Judaen societies.

True. Even the establishment clause is rooted in Christian principle. Since no one can truly come to Christianity except through his own free will, those who call this a Christian nation are in error. It is a nation founded on Christian principles. It seems a fine distinction, but it is one that must be made.

musicman said:
It is a nation founded on Christian principles. It seems a fine distinction, but it is one that must be made.

Exactly. This distinction needs to be highlighted now when our detractors are saying we are just as intolerant as our enemies. That is not true. There is a place for muslims in our religiously tolerant societies. Preaching christianity is, however, a jailable offense in saudi arabia. THEIR system is intolerant.

rtwngAvngr said:

Actually the Buddhist religion had and has a sytem of policies and justice systems that are based on a religion older than Christianity or Judaism.

Although each of the various sects made original and interesting contributions to philosophy, it was the early Buddhists who attempted to provide a unified philosophical system where ethical conduct and social criticism lay at the very core of their ideological system.

http://members.tripod.com/~INDIA_RESOURCE/buddhism.htm

I was just wondering whether the Christian Evangelizing efforts would take offense at having their Christian groups being aimed directly at their base group for converting to another religion? How understanding would Christian proselitizers be when they are the target of seeing the light.

musicman said:
True. Even the establishment clause is rooted in Christian principle. Since no one can truly come to Christianity except through his own free will, those who call this a Christian nation are in error. It is a nation founded on Christian principles. It seems a fine distinction, but it is one that must be made.

Musicman could you be kind enought to direct me to that part of the 'establisment clause' stating unequivocably that America is rooted in CHRISTIAN principle?

That would be helpful.

ajwps said:
How understanding would Christian proselitizers be when they are the target of seeing the light.

Yes. Kind of similar to your question the first time around. I don't care if others come here to evangelize, as long as they do so legally. At least I don't have a problem with it. I know you have a compulsive need to paint all christians as reactionary xenophobes, but it's just not funny anymore, aj. Welcome back, by the way.
:p:

ajwps said:
Actually the Buddhist religion had and has a sytem of policies and justice systems that are based on a religion older than Christianity or Judaism.

I never said there were no other sytems with different cultural/historical contexts.

rtwngAvngr said:
I never said there were no other sytems with different cultural/historical contexts.

True enough. But what you did say was referencing America responding to my question about Evangelicals accepting Buddhism attempting mass conversions of Christians.

You said:

Our legal system is an abstraction of previous justice systems which evolved in christian nations. Most of our policies are justifiable on a logical level, though many will claim we are a christian nation. What they're saying is this: We're a nation with a system of values ABSTRACTED FROM historically Christo-Judaen societies.

This statement of yours depends on how your basic beliefs influence your perspectives of reality.

ajwps said:
True enough. But what you did say was referencing America responding to my question about Evangelicals accepting Buddhism attempting mass conversions of Christians.

You said:

This statement of yours depends on how your basic beliefs influence your perspectives of reality.

Right. And I'm saying I don't care. Most wouldn't. But I'm not terribly religious.

I guess all statements depend on how beliefs influence perspectives of reality. You're technically right by virtue of being immensely general; I guess I was hoping for a little more substantive criticism, if any. I can't tell what this is. :thup: :poke:

ajwps said:
Musicman could you be kind enought to direct me to that part of the 'establisment clause' stating unequivocably that America is rooted in CHRISTIAN principle?

That would be helpful.

Certainly, AJ. I'm always glad to help. The fact that no attempt was made by the Christans who founded this country to establish a state religion of any kind (to the extent that Congress was expressly forbidden to ever do so) is proof that the establishment section was formed on good, solid Christian principle; to wit: no man sincerely comes to a religion except through his own free will. Christianity, forced upon the people by the state, ceases to be Christianity. A people, thus forced, cease to be a free people.

ajwps said:

Hey, it's a free country, with the freedom to worship how one pleases. I for one am confident that Christianity can hold its own against Buddhism.

ajwps said:

There are already a number of Buddhist groups in America with large numbers of converts.

Bullypulpit said:
There are already a number of Buddhist groups in America with large numbers of converts.

I really could care less, the Buddhists have been minding their own business and not taking down planes, buildings, or citizens in numbers that have brought them attention. Thus, they're no different than most living here. Now, when members of a religion/cult/association start preaching and carrying out acts of hate and violence, I feel a bit differently.

ajwps said:
I was just wondering whether the Christian Evangelizing efforts would take offense at having their Christian groups being aimed directly at their base group for converting to another religion? How understanding would Christian proselitizers be when they are the target of seeing the light.

If other groups want to share their beliefs with others, let them. Who cares? if you dont want to hear what they have to say dont listen. The truth will win out in the end.

musicman said:
Certainly, AJ. I'm always glad to help. The fact that no attempt was made by the Christans who founded this country to establish a state religion of any kind (to the extent that Congress was expressly forbidden to ever do so) is proof that the establishment section was formed on good, solid Christian principle; to wit: no man sincerely comes to a religion except through his own free will. Christianity, forced upon the people by the state, ceases to be Christianity. A people, thus forced, cease to be a free people.

What about the Pilgrims and Puritans?

The first colony of English-speaking Europeans was Jamestown, settled in 1609 for trade, not religious freedom. Fewer than half of the 102 Mayflower passengers in 1620 were "Pilgrims" seeking religious freedom. The secular United States of America was formed more than a century and a half later. If tradition requires us to return to the views of a few early settlers, why not adopt the polytheistic and natural beliefs of the Native Americans, the true founders of the continent at least 12,000 years earlier?

Most of the religious colonial governments excluded and persecuted those of the "wrong" faith. The framers of our Constitution in 1787 wanted no part of religious intolerance and bloodshed, wisely establishing the first government in history to separate church and state.

see the earliest Charters in this north American land mass.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/states/statech.htm

If other groups want to share their beliefs with others, let them. Who cares? if you dont want to hear what they have to say dont listen. The truth will win out in the end.

Does your statement also apply to Christian and Mormon missionaries who go throughout the known world taking THEIR TRUTH to those who already believe in their own gods?

The TRUTH is only in the eyes of those who already possess their own TRUTH.

gop_jeff said:
Hey, it's a free country, with the freedom to worship how one pleases. I for one am confident that Christianity can hold its own against Buddhism.

Gee Jeff, I'll bet that the Mormons (Church of the Latter Day Saints) feel just as confident that they can hold their own against the Protestants and Catholics as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back