Government Bailout For Insurance In Dangerous Areas

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
insein said:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/ce729a38-eef0-11d8-848a-00000e2511c8.html

This is wh politics is a dirty business. Analysts don't understand that Bush is actually doing this because he genuinely as a Human Being cares about the damage and lives lost in Florida. Instead this article focuses on what the writer perceives to be a political move to goto Florida in order to save votes.

Truly sickening.

This brings up one of my pet peeves. Why is government in the home insurance business? Why are taxpayer dollars being spent to compensate those who CHOOSE to live in high risk areas. Millionaires with palatial beach houses and people with homes on flood plains are paid with money stolen from you and me.

Seems to me that if you choose to live in places prone to natural disasters, you should bear the responsibility and expense associated with that location. If the commercial insurance industry charged Floridians on the basis of risk, watch how fast the building codes for new construction would be updated to make homes more resistant to high winds. But with the government stepping in to cover their butts - why bother?

Another example of government gone crazy. Now we have Medicaid for houses. Oh goodie.

Merlin1047 said:
This brings up one of my pet peeves. Why is government in the home insurance business? Why are taxpayer dollars being spent to compensate those who CHOOSE to live in high risk areas. Millionaires with palatial beach houses and people with homes on flood plains are paid with money stolen from you and me.

Seems to me that if you choose to live in places prone to natural disasters, you should bear the responsibility and expense associated with that location. If the commercial insurance industry charged Floridians on the basis of risk, watch how fast the building codes for new construction would be updated to make homes more resistant to high winds. But with the government stepping in to cover their butts - why bother?

Another example of government gone crazy. Now we have Medicaid for houses. Oh goodie.

We have a problem like that in Cincinnati.There are people that live right on the Ohio River and every year when there are heavy rains or it snows a lot,there homes are flooded out. Every year these people get major floods that completely destroy their homes and go back. Every year the people of Cincy are asked to send donations for them. It's hard to feel sorry for those particular people. You could always move sown the street and still be close to the river if you have to be close.

Merlin1047 said:

pardon me, but this is something that needs to be directed towards the insurance companies, they lobbied for this kind of legislation and safety net, not the american people with insurance policies.

DKSuddeth said:
pardon me, but this is something that needs to be directed towards the insurance companies, they lobbied for this kind of legislation and safety net, not the american people with insurance policies.

Nope, don't agree. The insurance companies can lobby all they want. But they cannot cast the vote that creates the law. Our elected representatives have to do that.

Millionaires with palatial beach houses and people with homes on flood plains are paid with money stolen from you and me.
The millionaires with the palatial beach houses who didn't even have their primary residence damaged or destroyed really piss me off. They shouldn't get a dime.

Umm, is it just me or do we have two threads going here? One on insurance and dangerous areas to build and another, the original, the media spinning a disaster to fault GW? :confused:

Kathianne said:
Umm, is it just me or do we have two threads going here? One on insurance and dangerous areas to build and another, the original, the media spinning a disaster to fault GW? :confused:

Yes.
Sorry.
My fault.

But about that insurance thing . . . . . :teeth:

:beer:

Merlin1047 said:
Yes.
Sorry.
My fault.

But about that insurance thing . . . . . :teeth:

:beer:

I think both are worthy. How about I create a new thread for the insurance?

Kathianne said:
I think both are worthy. How about I create a new thread for the insurance?

Anything that makes you happy is fine with me.

(How many suck-up points do I get for that one?)

Merlin1047 said:
Anything that makes you happy is fine with me.

(How many suck-up points do I get for that one?)

None this time, it won't let me! Says I have to spread the suck up point around! :wtf: :D

Forum List

Back