Government announces $108 billion BAIL-OUT for student debtors

[
I would rather have people who attended college to better themselves get a break than the welfare recipients to leach off taxpayers dollars and do nothing to earn it or try to better themselves.

I don't like welfare trash either, but you're wrong to say college students are there to better themselves. Lots of them have stupid liberal arts majors for which there is no job market. They went to college just to party for 4 years. The students who got a degree in STEM subjects are the only ones that deserve a break.

[
I would rather have people who attended college to better themselves get a break than the welfare recipients to leach off taxpayers dollars and do nothing to earn it or try to better themselves.

I don't like welfare trash either, but you're wrong to say college students are there to better themselves. Lots of them have stupid liberal arts majors for which there is no job market. They went to college just to party for 4 years. The students who got a degree in STEM subjects are the only ones that deserve a break.

Why just STEM? There are a lot of other useful careers outside of those.

Not really. Of what possible use to america is a degree in sociology or theology or music appreciation?

Not really. Of what possible use to america is a degree in sociology or theology or music appreciation?

Is that all the degrees you can think of? I'm a Criminal Justice major. And Sociology is important... not some lame degree.

More welfare from the welfare king obozo. More money taken from responsible people and given to a bunch of idiots who borrowed $100,000 to get a degree in Ancient Etruscan Mythology.

GAO: About $108 Billion in Student Loan Debt to be Forgiven

dec 1 2016 The federal government is expected to forgive at least $108 billion in student loan debt as part of popular plans that tie repayment to borrowers' earnings, congressional investigators said Wednesday.

The Government Accountability Office reviewed income-driven repayment plans the government offers to students struggling to pay back federal student loans. The report, which was highly critical of the Education Department's budget estimates for the programs, said $29 billion more will be discharged due to death or disability. About 5.3 million borrowers carrying some $355 billion in loans are part of the repayment plans.

The plans set monthly payments as a percentage of a borrower's income and extend repayment from the standard 10 years to up to 25 years. After that, remaining balances are forgiven. They've grown increasingly popular and the Obama administration has encouraged borrowers to consider them, setting up a website, www.StudentLoans.gov/Repay , in April.
College shouldn't cost money. Period. Use our tax dollars to make sure we have an educated populace instead of WASTING IT on foreign aid to Israel and Wars that benefit Israel.

Is that all the degrees you can think of? I'm a Criminal Justice major. And Sociology is important... not some lame degree.

HAHAHA. Sociology is more BS. Engineers, businessmen, physicists - those are the kinds of people that count. Also plumbers and auto repairmen and electricians and farmers. People that do things, make things, grow things, and fix things.

College shouldn't cost money. Period. Use our tax dollars to make sure we have an educated populace instead of WASTING IT on foreign aid to Israel and Wars that benefit Israel.

You want college to be FREE ? Like our high schools. That might be ok if only useful subjects, like STEM, are taught. I don't want my money spent on training a bunch of useless "social workers".

You want college to be FREE ? Like our high schools. That might be ok if only useful subjects, like STEM, are taught. I don't want my money spent on training a bunch of useless "social workers".
I agree there should be barriers of this but that would be tough really. Easy to get rid of the REALLY pointless majors but it gets tougher then. Social Worker is a needed position actually. Not just for schools and government but hospitals etc.

Respectfully, Social Workers are not useless. They are unsung heroes. They are hired in nursing homes for many purposes, including: prevention of abuse and neglect of the residents. They remove children from abusive homes. They remove the elderly from homes, when said individuals are unable to adequately care for themselves. They respond to homes and facilities (mobile crisis) when people are suicidal and/or homicidal. I have a few friends who are social workers. They are regularly in court, regardless of their specialty. They are severely overworked and underpaid. Why did they choose SW? Because they care about people.

Heaven knows how many lives these people have saved.

Respectfully, Social Workers are not useless. They are unsung heroes. They are hired in nursing homes for many purposes, including: prevention of abuse and neglect of the residents. They remove children from abusive homes. They remove the elderly from homes, when said individuals are unable to adequately care for themselves. They respond to homes and facilities (mobile crisis) when people are suicidal and/or homicidal. I have a few friends who are social workers. They are regularly in court, regardless of their specialty. They are severely overworked and underpaid. Why did they choose SW? Because they care about people.

They KIDNAP kids from loving homes for profit. SW that work for DSS or DFCS are working there because they were too dumb to get jobs elsewhere/and or they LOVE splitting families up.

HAHAHA. Sociology is more BS. Engineers, businessmen, physicists - those are the kinds of people that count. Also plumbers and auto repairmen and electricians and farmers. People that do things, make things, grow things, and fix things.
I have an Associates Degree in Drafting & Design, I do CAD work for engineers

Well if we had a public university system , students wouldn't have these outrageous loans in the first. No other 1st world country has people drowned in student debt like America. Student debt is a non existent issue in most 1st world nations.

None of my friends from England , France and Australia have student debt and they all come from working class families. Because their government actually makes university affordable.

Well if we had a public university system , students wouldn't have these outrageous loans in the first. No other 1st world country has people drowned in student debt like America. Student debt is a non existent issue in most 1st world nations.

None of my friends from England , France and Australia have student debt and they all come from working class families. Because their government actually makes university affordable.
Its why I will push VERY hard for my kids to go to college overseas. German,Austria,Poland ANYWHERE but here. Hopefully they will marry a European man/woman and remain there....This country has done NOTHING for me and I would feel more at home in Europe anyways.

They chose social work because it's all they can do. They can't or won't do productive work. Social workers are same as welfare trash.

Govt guaranteed student loans simply encouraged colleges to drastically raise tuition. It was a stupid idea and many people pointed this out at the time. But the colleges bribed congress to do it anyway and the colleges have made a fortune.

Govt guaranteed student loans simply encouraged colleges to drastically raise tuition. It was a stupid idea and many people pointed this out at the time. But the colleges bribed congress to do it anyway and the colleges have made a fortune.

The Govt. shouldn't be in the business of college loans.

If you want a loan for college go to a bank.

Bush the 1st got rid of Govt. college loans because they weren't being paid back. When Clinton came into office he started them back up.

Any way you look at it we taxpayers are going to get hosed again to pay for someone' s college education.

These kids need to get off their asses, get a job and pay for their own education. I'm not interested in bankrolling their education for em.

More welfare from the welfare king obozo. More money taken from responsible people and given to a bunch of idiots who borrowed $100,000 to get a degree in Ancient Etruscan Mythology.

GAO: About $108 Billion in Student Loan Debt to be Forgiven

dec 1 2016 The federal government is expected to forgive at least $108 billion in student loan debt as part of popular plans that tie repayment to borrowers' earnings, congressional investigators said Wednesday.

The Government Accountability Office reviewed income-driven repayment plans the government offers to students struggling to pay back federal student loans. The report, which was highly critical of the Education Department's budget estimates for the programs, said $29 billion more will be discharged due to death or disability. About 5.3 million borrowers carrying some $355 billion in loans are part of the repayment plans.

The plans set monthly payments as a percentage of a borrower's income and extend repayment from the standard 10 years to up to 25 years. After that, remaining balances are forgiven. They've grown increasingly popular and the Obama administration has encouraged borrowers to consider them, setting up a website, www.StudentLoans.gov/Repay , in April.

I'd rather give away your tax dollars to all the jigs in the ghetto, or student loans, than waste a single dime on what you stupidly believe to be important to the country.

Forum List

Back