Gov Shutdowns to settle political fights - proven counter-productive already?

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I deplore a US gov shutdown.
US gov workers do not deserve what they get during a shutdown,
the US populace does not deserve the risks to themselves that stack up as a shutdown prolongs,
and God only knows how your country is going to ravel apart as effects of the shutdown start to stack up, or how hard the damage done during a prolonged shutdown takes to overcome.

Meanwhile, you project such serious weakness to all countries that are at such a time at the top of your enemies / rivals list, that you endanger the longterm geopolitical stability of this world too.
Don't forget, they're not happy over in Russia and China with how many overseas bases they have, and how many the US has. If you give them a chance for rapid expansion due to weakness in the entire US system (not just the defense department, which will be the last to weaken in fact under the current circumstances), then they are likely to try to grab such expansion by force and intimidation.

Ok, that's enough bitching. I respect that i shouldn't bitch about something without offering fixes to the problems i mention.

Trump and his team, for instance, could recognize that there is more to border security than a simple wall. And the democrats might realize that a wall is an excellent tool to funnel people into processing centres, of which you need new ones that are suited not just for young men, but for entire families.
You need processing power for asylum applications, together with solid repatriation procedures for those asylum applications that you reject, and all that comes with that (housing, personell), not just a wall.

But instead of the Dems and the Reps being flexible and discussing immigration reform measures such as mentioned above here while the government is open,
they're both dug into a "our way or no highway at all" mode of thinking.

Your country is strong, flexible, and resilient, USA.
But US leaders, everything has it's limits, even entire countries. You are pushing your country beyond it's limits to put up with bad policies at the moment. Don't end up the leadership that caused the downfall of the US as a global power and end up the cause of all the local suffering that comes along with that.

Last edited:
the US populace does not deserve the risks to themselves that stack up as a shutdown prolongs,
and God only knows how your country is going to ravel apart as effects of the shutdown start to stack up, or how hard the damage done during a prolonged shutdown takes to overcome.

Meanwhile, you project such serious weakness to all countries that are at such a time at the top of your enemies / rivals list, that you endanger the longterm geopolitical stability of this world too.
Don't forget, they're not happy over in Russia and China with how many overseas bases they have, and how many the US has. If you give them a chance for rapid expansion due to weakness in the entire US system (not just the defense department, which will be the last to weaken in fact under the current circumstances), then they are likely to try to grab such expansion by force and intimidation.

Ok, that's enough bitching. I respect that i shouldn't bitch about something about offering fixes to the problems i mention.

Trump and his team, for instance, could recognize that there is more to border security than a simple wall. And the democrats might realize that a wall is an excellent tool to funnel people into processing centres, of which you need new ones that are suited not just for young men, but for entire families.
You need processing power for asylum applications, together with solid repatriation procedures for those asylum applications that you reject, and all that comes with that (housing, personell), not just a wall.

But instead of the Dems and the Reps being flexible and discussing immigration reform measures such as mentioned above here while the government is open,

But US leaders, everything has it's limits, even entire countries. You are pushing your country beyond it's limits to put up with bad policies at the moment. Don't end up the leadership that caused the downfall of the US as a global power and end up the cause of all the local suffering that comes along with that.
Extremely effective from both sides perspectives.
Democrats see the MSM blaming Republicans for the shutdown causing acne to nuclear war, Republicans have Democrats screaming for open borders and defunding ICE to the American people.

Shutdowns cost money, they harm the GDP and they do make the US look like stupid petulant children in the eyes of the world.

Shutdowns cost money, they harm the GDP and they do make the US look like stupid petulant children in the eyes of the world.
There goes Mr 'I'm a Libertarian' justifying big government once again.

Shutdowns do nothing about big government, they just make things worse because they cost more money, pay people for not working and harm the GDP which decreases tax revenue.

The fact you cheer for the shutdowns show you do not care about spending, you do not care about tax dollars being wasted. All you ever do is parrot stupid talking points.

Shutdowns do nothing about big government, they just make things worse because they cost more money, pay people for not working and harm the GDP which decreases tax revenue.

The fact you cheer for the shutdowns show you do not care about spending, you do not care about tax dollars being wasted. All you ever do is parrot stupid talking points.
You just claimed big government makes the economy stronger, dufus.

also : you can't just allow anyone in ('open borders') - the rest of the world is too shitty in too many places for the US and their allies to take in all these people.
Some can be allowed to stay, some have to get sent back, and programs to create peace and prosperity in the regions that the refugees come from, also have to get set up.

also : a wall by itself is never going to keep out the drugs.
ever heard about the concept of a tunnel? or drugs deliveries by drone?
you'd need to build a wall that somehow scans underneath itself to detect a new tunnel being dug under it, and above it using radar to detect aircraft and drones of all sizes flying over it (even tiny ones, to cut off the drone-swarm drug-delivery method). And then ofcourse you're going to need cop types to deal with output from those sensors. good luck DARPA and other agencies.

Last edited:

Ok, that's enough bitching. I respect that i shouldn't bitch about something about offering fixes to the problems i mention.

The most productive event would be Pelosi ceasing breathing.

But, they may eventually get us closer to a disbanning of the union.

I think they do the opposite. They divide the country by Rs and Ds, if the union is broken it will not be along those lines.
I'm searching for the up side here. Quit shitting on my hope.
:lol:

No, I did no such thing. Big government is still there even in a shutdown, you are just too fucking stupid to understand this basic fact.

In all seriousness, do you require help to tie your shoes?

Honestly now you are just showing how stupid you are…

big or small, we look like petulant children right now.

we do in here
our elected officials do
we do pretty much all over.

i fail to see how 1 stance on 1 issue can define someone's total political beliefs.

wow.

that's a "reach" i see liberals make all the time to justify how *they* feel.

both big and small governments have a GDP and need to be strong for their base. correct? so you are making an issue where it isn't because of how you feel about someone.

very "liberal" of you. :) (if we're going to make unfounded generic accusations, that is)

wow.

that's a "reach" i see liberals make all the time to justify how *they* feel.

both big and small governments have a GDP and need to be strong for their base. correct? so you are making an issue where it isn't because of how you feel about someone.

very "liberal" of you. :) (if we're going to make unfounded generic accusations, that is)
Oh, so the amount of taxes being taken from Americans has nothing to do with the economy?

That's just brilliant.

No, I did no such thing. Big government is still there even in a shutdown, you are just too fucking stupid to understand this basic fact.

In all seriousness, do you require help to tie your shoes?
Mr "I'm a Libertarian' says you will hurt the economy by reducing the government by 20%.

The most productive event would be Pelosi ceasing breathing.
The Secret Service Says Nancy Pelosi Is Lying.

New Topics

Forum List

Back