Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

I am on the Acela right now, moving along at about 30 mph waiting for traffic ahead to clear

I had to look up "Acela". I had no idea what it was. 30 mph? Dang, if it were any slower you could outrun it! Well, if you could go the distance that is. :razz:

Immie
i assumed it was some local service in NJ
but i had to bing it too
it takes them 7 hours to get from Boston to DC
shoot, i can take a turbo prop from Portland ME and get to DC in a couple hours

It hits around 130 MPH but then you hit stretches where it creeps because of conjestion ahead. Most of the time saved is because it doesn't make as many local stops. I can basically drive in about the same time as the train does it in.

High Speed Rail in the Boston-Washington corridor could still make money and have the ridership. I can't imagine any other route in the US that makes sense

I had to look up "Acela". I had no idea what it was. 30 mph? Dang, if it were any slower you could outrun it! Well, if you could go the distance that is. :razz:

Immie
but i had to bing it too

It hits around 130 MPH but then you hit stretches where it creeps because of conjestion ahead. Most of the time saved is because it doesn't make as many local stops. I can basically drive in about the same time as the train does it in.

High Speed Rail in the Boston-Washington corridor could still make money and have the ridership. I can't imagine any other route in the US that makes sense
i think the Boston/Washington corridor is the only place Amtrak actually breaks even

Follow up:

Fla. high court: Governor can reject rail funding

[SNIP]
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced Friday that he plans to send $2.4 billion in high-speed rail funding intended for Florida to other states after the state Supreme Court upheld Gov. Rick Scott's decision to reject the money.
The Republican governor's decision effectively kills the Tampa-Orlando route, but Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., said LaHood later agreed to consider a last-ditch attempt to revive the project. His idea is to let a regional rail authority in central Florida compete with other states for the money Scott rejected.
"If it can't be done, then we're done," Nelson said, calling the proposal a "Hail Mary pass."

[/SNIP]

He's smart. He knows that once the Fed Camel's nose gets under the tent...States become liable holding the bag.

IF this is to be done in Florida...it will be done privately...and when the market dictates (shows interest) such a thing for the State.

but i had to bing it too

i think the Boston/Washington corridor is the only place Amtrak actually breaks even

yes,correct, I posted a link to that in one of these rail threads. They BARELY make a profit.BUT to get someone delivered from DC to to bean town absent the rail congestion which as RW noted slows them down requires a dedicated line, the cost to build and price point for a DC to Boston ticket would put people on the plane....*shrugs*

Forum List

Back