Gov. Rick Perry's big donors fare well in Texas

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Gov. Rick Perry's big donors fare well in Texas - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington— Texas Gov. Rick Perry has powered his political career on the largesse of donors like Dallas billionaire Harold Simmons, who gave the governor $1.12 million in recent years.

Perry has received a total of $37 million over the last decade from just 150 individuals and couples, who are likely to form the backbone of his new effort to win the Republican presidential nomination. The tally represented more than a third of the $102 million he had raised as governor through December, according to data compiled by the watchdog group Texans for Public Justice.

Nearly half of those mega-donors received hefty business contracts, tax breaks or appointments under Perry, according to a Los Angeles Times analysis.

Along with Simmons — who won permission to build a low-level radioactive waste disposal site in Texas, a project that promises to generate hundreds of millions of dollars — The Times found dozens of examples in which major donors to Perry have benefited during his tenure.

Auto magnate B.J. "Red" McCombs, who contributed nearly $400,000 to the governor, is the primary financial backer for a Formula One racetrack to be built near Austin. The state has pledged $25 million a year in subsidies to support the project.

And much more after the jump. Including the response from the Perry campaign.

Where is your scrutiny of Obamas donors?

Thats what I thought.

:lol: So when you have no real response to give to the article, you just decide to lob a attack against me personally. If you have evidence of President Obama doing this sort of thing with many of his donors when he was a Senator or as President, go ahead and make a thread. I'll comment on it.

Until then, all you're doing is deflecting for Perry and doing it very poorly too. :thup:

Forum List

Back