Gov. Gary Johnson: I Smoked Marijuana from 2005 to 2008

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Gary Johnson, the former New Mexico governor and a likely 2012 Republican presidential candidate, hasn’t been shy about his support for marijuana legalization or his personal use of the drug during his younger days. “I never exhaled,” he joked in a recent interview with The New Republic. But in an interview with THE WEEKLY STANDARD, Johnson admitted publicly for the first time that he smoked marijuana more recently—from 2005 to 2008—for medicinal purposes, he says.

“It’s not anything I volunteer, but you’re the only person that actually asked about it,” says Johnson, who governed New Mexico from 1994 to 2002. “But for luck, I guess, I wasn’t arrested.” Although smoking marijuana for medicinal purposes was illegal in New Mexico until 2007, Johnson says he needed the drug following a 2005 paragliding accident in Hawaii. His sails got caught in a tree, he stalled—and fell about fifty feet straight down to the ground, he says. Johnson suffered multiple bone fractures, including a burst fracture to his T12 vertebrae. “In my human experience, it’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt.”

Gov. Gary Johnson: I Smoked Marijuana from 2005 to 2008 | The Weekly Standard

I'm surprised he didn't die of a THC overdose or develop marijuana addiction.

So when can we expect the revelations of murder, sexual assaults, and other depraved behavior that he engaged in as a result of his mj use?
reefer_madness_2_350.jpg

The sad thing is, this could provide ammo for an effective personal attack ad against him if he ran in the GOP primary. After all, can a stoner ever have family values? Do tokers ever think of the children?

Probably one of the best candidates the right could roll out, and he'd lose out because the more staunch conservatives can't get over their authoritarian position on weed.

The sad thing is, this could provide ammo for an effective personal attack ad against him if he ran in the GOP primary. After all, can a stoner ever have family values? Do tokers ever think of the children?

His stance on marijuana in general was ammo enough for the social conservatives to attack him on.

Probably one of the best candidates the right could roll out, and he'd lose out because the more staunch conservatives can't get over their authoritarian position on weed.

I'll support decriminalization - on the day that the I get a guarantee that I'm never gonna be paying one dime because of some asshole who can't live in the real world.

Research around the world suggests that MJ is not as harmless as those who spend their lives stoned would want us to believe. If you can't hold down a job because you're stoned, I have to pay for you. If MJ triggers mental illness (which it does), I have to pay. Why the fuck do I have to pay for other people's addictions? You want to be addicted, have at it. Just stop fucking expecting the rest of us to help you... self inflicted problems aren't my business. Got it?

His stance on marijuana in general was ammo enough for the social conservatives to attack him on.

social "conservatives" = progressives v2.0

I commend him for being honest. I have no idea what his policies are. However, I am concerned when a politician is breaking the law. how do we expect him to uphold laws if he doesnt keep them in his own life?

I'll support decriminalization - on the day that the I get a guarantee that I'm never gonna be paying one dime because of some asshole who can't live in the real world.

Research around the world suggests that MJ is not as harmless as those who spend their lives stoned would want us to believe. If you can't hold down a job because you're stoned, I have to pay for you. If MJ triggers mental illness (which it does), I have to pay. Why the fuck do I have to pay for other people's addictions? You want to be addicted, have at it. Just stop fucking expecting the rest of us to help you... self inflicted problems aren't my business. Got it?

Yawn. Thanks for reminding us that Drug War proponents are still living in 1938.

Well nobody should have to pay for anybody else in the first place, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I commend him for being honest. I have no idea what his policies are. However, I am concerned when a politician is breaking the law. how do we expect him to uphold laws if he doesnt keep them in his own life?

Unjust laws should be broken.

Unjust laws should be repealed.

Absolutely. But until such time as that happens they should be violated whenever a person deems it necessary or in their interest.

Unjust laws should be repealed.

Absolutely. But until such time as that happens they should be violated whenever a person deems it necessary or in their interest.

Who gets to decide which laws are ok to break?

Because there's a person I wouldn't mind being dead so it's ok for me to kill that person right? Because I disagree with the law. Cool.

Seriously, this is why Libertarians can't run a country - you're all fucking stupid.

You're an idiot. I did not know that!

Good to know you still support the State in all its endeavors. Our betters surely appreciate your blind acquiescence to their criminal activities.

Forum List

Back