Gov. Crist to run for US Senate seat in Florida

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, AP Political Writer Brendan Farrington, Ap Political Writer – Tue May 12, 9:20 am ET
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Gov. Charlie Crist confirmed Tuesday he will run for U.S. Senate instead of re-election next year, a decision that gives Republicans their best shot at maintaining the seat Mel Martinez is leaving after one term.

The race is important to Republicans nationally as they try to keep Democrats from winning or holding a 60-seat majority in the Senate that can overcome GOP filibusters. Senate Democrats now have 59 votes and would reach 60 if Al Franken wins a marathon recount in Minnesota.

Sen. John Cornyn, head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, quickly endorsed Crist as "the best candidate in 2010 to ensure that we maintain the checks and balances that Floridians deserve in the United States Senate. "

The announcement, which had been expected, is also likely to stir up Florida politics as others scramble to replace the popular governor, who was considered a shoo-in had he sought a second term.

"Our country is facing the most profound public policy questions in our lifetime, questions relating to the economy, taxes, healthcare, the environment and national security," Crist said in a statement.

Crist said he intends to take to Washington his Florida approach, that "when we put people first and work together much can be accomplished."

I'm hoping this means he has no intention of running for President in 2012. It might put him in good position to run in 2016 though.

Well, that SUCKS, since it means the idiot, Bill McCollum, will probably run for guvner (and knowing the status of this state, will probably win). UGH.

I've seen McCollum up close. I used to really dislike him when he was a Congressman but I've changed my mind. I think he'd be a good governor. It will either be him or Sink.

As for Crist, he's leaving because being a Senator is easier than being a governor, and you can't be term limited out. Plus, if there's ever a really big swing to the Democrats, he'd happily switch parties.

I'd vote for him for senator. He's a moderate, and we need more Republican moderates in Washington. I should say he's a populist. Or maybe he's a chameleon. Who the hell knows? Maybe he'll be the most right-wing guy in Washington. Whatever gets him votes.

He's smooth but he's a lightweight. I would think that would disqualify him from winning his party's nomination, but given that many Republicans would like to see Palin as the candidate, I'm probably wrong on that.

Well, that SUCKS, since it means the idiot, Bill McCollum, will probably run for guvner (and knowing the status of this state, will probably win). UGH.

Thanks a lot. You really know how to ruin my good mood. :)

Immie

What I remember most about Crist during the McCain festivities was his robotic preening and mugging while on camera. Understand he is not married. Is that still the case?

I've seen McCollum up close. I used to really dislike him when he was a Congressman but I've changed my mind. I think he'd be a good governor. It will either be him or Sink.

I despise the man. He's an inflammatory windbag who 9 times out of 10 has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

As for Crist, he's leaving because being a Senator is easier than being a governor, and you can't be term limited out. Plus, if there's ever a really big swing to the Democrats, he'd happily switch parties.

I'd vote for him for senator. He's a moderate, and we need more Republican moderates in Washington. I should say he's a populist. Or maybe he's a chameleon. Who the hell knows? Maybe he'll be the most right-wing guy in Washington. Whatever gets him votes.

I like him, but I do enjoy the irony of having a gay republican governor.

He's smooth but he's a lightweight. I would think that would disqualify him from winning his party's nomination, but given that many Republicans would like to see Palin as the candidate, I'm probably wrong on that.

As much weight as the far right holds in the Republican party, I have a hard time believing Palin will ever be its nominee. I certainly hope that I'm right about that.

I like him, but I do enjoy the irony of having a gay republican governor.

:lol::lol:

Our next Senator, several months after being elected governor, in a popular (and straight!) bar here in Tallahassee called Bullwinkles.

crist.jpg

What I remember most about Crist during the McCain festivities was his robotic preening and mugging while on camera. Understand he is not married. Is that still the case?

Why are you interested? ;)

If so, the bad news is that he got married a couple of months ago.

Immie

I'm hoping this means he has no intention of running for President in 2012. It might put him in good position to run in 2016 though.

dunno... he could run for pres after two years in the senate... been done before. ;)

But i don't think he'll let himself be a sacrificial lamb, so I figure he'll run in 2016, also.

Who ran for President two years after being elected to the Senate?

Forum List

Back