Gov. Christie's Plan to Scrap Teacher Tenure

Gov. Chris Christie, who wants to scrap teacher tenure, today said he would like a system that reviews teacher performance every five years.

Christie suggested placing teachers on five-year contracts. When a contract expires, the teacher’s performance would be reviewed and decision would be made whether to renew for another five years, he said today at a town hall meeting in Paramus.

Gov. Christie pushes five-year performance review for teachers | NJ.com

Good idea?

There is nothing wrong with negotiation. Republicans are determined to do away with "education" and replace it with "Bible Study". It's not like they are "science minded" or anything.

I'm registered republican, and I have no desire to see the Bible studied in the public classroom.

Teachers need to be protected from politicization of the classroom. We have fought that issue here for deacades, and every so often we have beat down the wing nuts from the far left and whingers from the far right. I get tired of it, but now it is like the weather: it sleets and snows on occassion. Clean it up and move on.

Good idea?

There is nothing wrong with negotiation. Republicans are determined to do away with "education" and replace it with "Bible Study". It's not like they are "science minded" or anything.

I'm registered republican, and I have no desire to see the Bible studied in the public classroom.

Most Republicans do not advocate a mandatory bible study class in Primary education. A small group advocates that if you want to teach that unproven Big Bang theory in SCIENCE class that a second unproven theory be taught as well, that of Intelligent design. NOT a single group advocates that science be scrapped and be replaced with the Bible. Nor do they advocate the BIBLE be studied in k-12. That is a lie perpetrated by people like Rdean.

A good teacher is special. It is kind of like a good nurse. almost a "calling" type of job.
It is not like production where the rejected products can just be written off or recycled.

If you're a good teacher, you can rest assured the pertinent people know it.

I don't think this proposal would end up axing anyone who didn't thoroughly deserve it to begin with.

I dunno there is also lots of internal politics in the world of acedemia.

Principals have tenure in NJ. I haven't seen any mention of eliminating that. I would think if this is about "school reform" they might want to work from the top down. Hmmm.

Oh and rdean, the best schools in NJ (possibly in the country) are in Republican districts. The worst are in Dem controlled inner cities. Those are the ones Christie wants fixed. Why is that a bad thing?

Last edited:
No, not a good idea as long as the system remains the same. Maybe, if the federal DOE were abolished and the states ran their ed systems, it could work. Here's an example: a school district (superintendent, principals), trying to meet a federal initiative to lower failure rates in order to get additional funding, decides to dumb down their schools. They lower the student grade scale so students no longer need a 70 to pass, but a 60. Building administrators force teachers to lower expectations so a rock could pass the class. A good, solid teacher who sees this as poor teaching practice would lose his/her job for holding student responsible and for wanting to make them competitive in the real world. The choice: do what your told or be unemployed. Now this was not the intent of the original initiative, but that's what happens when someone in DC tries to run a school in Boston or Detroit or Memphis or Central Falls. That teacher needs someone in his/her corner or the system just self destructs, which is what's happing across the country.

Forum List

Back