Gov Christie vetos Obamacare Exchange in NJ

What I am asking is if states can tell Obama to pound sand and simply not have anything including not being subject to a federal exchange.

States can tell Obama whatever they like. But if someone living within their boundaries is an American citizen, they're going to have access to a competitive marketplace for private insurance. Whether the state wants to determine what the looks like or not participate at all is the state's decision.

Just becasue three members of the corrupt federal congress put forth an idea....that does not make it Republican.

The party agenda is now set by Paul Ryan. He's the "ideas man" of the party, no? Now he's just some "member of the corrupt federal Congress"?

It is telling that you can't comprehend that we don't fall at their feet the way you seem to fall at Obama's. I've complained about federal legislators long and loud. And while I like Ryan...that does not mean I like everything he does.

[
Now, it might well be that they are looking for a way to undo Obamacare (and hopefully the SCOTUS will take care of that).

This is the comprehensive health reform proposal they offered a month before "Obamacare" existed.

Blah Blah Blah....how conevenient to the narrative.

And the left still brings up mandates in 1993 when Hillarycare was being pushed. Yet, after it dies.....and the GOP took control....did you see mandated health care on the docket ? Not that I recall.

What I am asking is if states can tell Obama to pound sand and simply not have anything including not being subject to a federal exchange.

States can tell Obama whatever they like. But if someone living within their boundaries is an American citizen, they're going to have access to a competitive marketplace for private insurance. Whether the state wants to determine what the looks like or not participate at all is the state's decision.

Access is one thing...but what if someone does not have it and does not want it ?

It is telling that you can't comprehend that we don't fall at their feet the way you seem to fall at Obama's. I've complained about federal legislators long and loud. And while I like Ryan...that does not mean I like everything he does.

Cool. I'm not sure why anyone needs or cares about your stamp of approval, though.

My point was--and remains--that the intellectual leaders of the Republican party built their comprehensive health reform proposal around exchanges last session. That's what "Republican capitalism" looks like, in the words of the other poster. They only backed off a month or two later when the Democrats offered support for the idea. Hell, the GOP's current approach to Medicare is also built on the exchange concept.

Cool. I'm not sure why anyone needs or cares about your stamp of approval, though.

My point was--and remains--that the intellectual leaders of the Republican party built their comprehensive health reform proposal around exchanges last session. That's what "Republican capitalism" looks like, in the words of the other poster. They only backed off a month or two later when the Democrats offered support for the idea. Hell, the GOP's current approach to Medicare is also built on the exchange concept.

I don't ever recall voting on intellectual leaders.

Nice try though.

And if that is what someone else thinks "Republican Capitalism" looks like...fine.

The phrase is an oxymoron in many respects. I'll let you work that out with them. But the argument holds no water with me.

Access is one thing...but what if someone does not have it and does not want it ?

The competition and choice that Red and ObamaCare offer is akin to Henry Ford's famous "People can have the Model T in any colour - so long as it's black".

The competition and choice that Red and ObamaCare offer is akin to Henry Ford's famous "People can have the Model T in any colour - so long as it's black".

I am noticing a definite selective direction and deflection in this exchange.

The GOP did not want Obamacare.

Having been pretty much creamed in the 2006 election, they put forth an alternative. They played politics...who knew ?

Hopefully, it all goes away soon.

Hello.

Hello.

Anyone home ???

Last edited:
You're paid by the government to put out this trash, aren't you, Red?
You do work for the federal government....

Who pays you to cut and paste?

Do you work on commission?

"Who pays you to cut and paste?"

1. I look forward to posts such as yours, as they allow what our President refers to as ‘a teachable moment.”

I would thank you for the opportunity, but, of course, the fortuity was inadvertent on your part….You didn’t realize the ignorance you were revealing, did you?

a. You see, one who has been exposed to learning will often see the value of providing points of view from one with status or expertise in the area under discussion. And, in my view, to provide same without my words, adds the impact for which I strive.

b. Citing an authority with an established reputation is better, of course, than citing someone whose credentials are not so lofty. (Guide to Writing Research Papers: MLA-Style)

c. Now, here’s where you come in: “A valid objection to this selection of sources may be the type of audience being addressed. Is the ‘pasted selection’ aimed at a specialized or a general audience? Do you find the level ‘over your head’ or is this source too elementary?” Critically Analyzing Information Sources | olinuris.library.cornell.edu)

2. I probably shouldn’t tell you, but it’s so flattering every time one of you tacitly admits that they are unable to deal with the substance of my post…and can only comment on the form.

A white flag, is it?

Are you that insecure about your own posts?

People on this board who barely finished grade school are able to compose posts stating their own opinions and exhibit independent thought.

There is nothing wrong with posting a link when challenged or to support controversial or questionable information. But to cut and paste the opinions of others in lieu your own is intellectual laziness or blatant insecurity.

Who pays you to cut and paste?

Do you work on commission?

1. I look forward to posts such as yours, as they allow what our President refers to as ‘a teachable moment.”

I would thank you for the opportunity, but, of course, the fortuity was inadvertent on your part….You didn’t realize the ignorance you were revealing, did you?

a. You see, one who has been exposed to learning will often see the value of providing points of view from one with status or expertise in the area under discussion. And, in my view, to provide same without my words, adds the impact for which I strive.

b. Citing an authority with an established reputation is better, of course, than citing someone whose credentials are not so lofty. (Guide to Writing Research Papers: MLA-Style)

c. Now, here’s where you come in: “A valid objection to this selection of sources may be the type of audience being addressed. Is the ‘pasted selection’ aimed at a specialized or a general audience? Do you find the level ‘over your head’ or is this source too elementary?” Critically Analyzing Information Sources | olinuris.library.cornell.edu)

2. I probably shouldn’t tell you, but it’s so flattering every time one of you tacitly admits that they are unable to deal with the substance of my post…and can only comment on the form.

A white flag, is it?

People on this board who barely finished grade school are able to compose posts stating their own opinions and exhibit independent thought.

There is nothing wrong with posting a link when challenged or to support controversial or questionable information. But to cut and paste the opinions of others in lieu your own is intellectual laziness or blatant insecurity.

wingy....

....I'm going to give your suggestions for my posts all of the consideration they deserve.

You can rest assured.....

And I fully understand your sense of loss.

A white flag, is it?

wingy....

....I'm going to give your suggestions for my posts all of the consideration they deserve.

A mind is a horrible thing to waste....

It's a shame because you have so much you could offer the discussion. If all I wanted to read was the latest tripe from rightwing blogs........I could just read Stephanies posts

wingy....

A mind is a horrible thing to waste....

It's a shame because you have so much you could offer the discussion. If all I wanted to read was the latest tripe from rightwing blogs........I could just read Stephanies posts

I didn't realize that there was an USMB requirement that you read all posts....

Look at the bright side: I provide a free education!

Hello.

Hello.

Anyone home ???

Anyone ?

Greenbeard ?

If I get this right...it is federall mandated and the states can go along as long as they play by the feds rules. There is no option for the state to allow one of it's members to say "No Thanks".

Am I reading that right.

So, this is really a federally administered program.

Putting a state face on it is B.S.

Last edited:

Hello.

Hello.

Anyone home ???

Anyone ?

Greenbeard ?

If I get this right...it is federall mandated and the states can go along as long as they play by the feds rules. There is no option for the state to allow one of it's members to say "No Thanks".

Am I reading that right.

Its a federally adminstered progrma if the state choose not toadmisnter it themselfs

Hello.

Hello.

Anyone home ???

Anyone ?

Greenbeard ?

Am I reading that right.

Its a federally adminstered progrma if the state choose not toadmisnter it themselfs

Meaning the states are just the bookeepers and not the soveriegns. Maybe we should just call them lackey 1 through lackey 50. That is what liberals want anyway.

Am I reading that right.

No, exchanges aren't federally administered, unless a state specifically opts not to administer its exchange.

What's consistent across the United States is that folks who don't have access to coverage through their employers will have access to marketplaces meeting the same statutory definition of an exchange (that doesn't mean anyone is required to buy their plan through an exchange; the existing, separate individual market will still exist). This is a basic level of functionality, primarily focused on facilitating enrollment in coverage and creating value for the consumer.

The latter means making available information that allows consumers to:
  • compare the benefit offerings of competing plans,
  • compare plans on standardized quality ratings,
  • compare prices across plans of a given actuarial value, and
  • easily determine their own financial liability under different plan options.

An "exchange" that fails the test of "does it organize the market into a competitive, consumer-oriented system" serves little purpose, as it doesn't address the fundamental deficiencies of the existing individual health insurance market that inhibit comparison shopping and competition between insurance plans.

That said, after meeting that baseline level of functionality, the fundamental design features of exchanges are left to state discretion. This is the part where a state decides what its market looks like, what the underlying philosophical principles of it are going to be, and what the relationship of the exchange to the private insurers offering plans through it is going to be.

A while back Deloitte laid out different models that will appeal to different states:

The ACA prescribes basic functions that all exchanges must be able to perform but gives the states some design flexibility. A host of factors are expected to impact the eventual design and functionality of the operating model of a given state exchange. The two main factors are:

• Market Environment – Some states manage markets through regulation, while others employ a free-market approach.
  • Exchange Capabilities – Some states will take a de minimis approach, while others will opt to build robust operational capabilities as they bring these exchanges online.

We anticipate that four health insurance exchange operating models will emerge, each with distinct characteristics: Information Aggregator, Retail-oriented Exchange, Guided Exchange, Market Curator (Figure 1).

us_lshc_HealthInsurnaceExchangeOperatingModels_500x395_062011.jpg

1. Information Aggregator – Takes a laissez-faire approach, where the state facilitates the transaction, and little more.
  2. Retail-Oriented Exchange – Seeks to develop a competitive marketplace focused on providing a robust shopping experience for the consumer.
  3. Guided Exchange – Reduces confusion for new consumers by offering a reduced number of more standardized products and a simplified shopping experience.
  4. Market Curator – Manages competition on a robust platform, where the state curates who can be on the exchange and, to a lesser extent, which products can be offered.

The model that emerges for any given state will factor heavily into a health plan’s decision to participate in the market, as well as influence development of its go-to-market strategy in “entry” states.

California's exchange is not going to look like Alabama's, which in turn may not look much like the federal default. The states themselves are responsible for making the basic design decisions that determine what the marketplace looks like in their state. Unless they prefer not to play that role and defer to whatever the federal option ends up looking like.

You seem to be under the impression that a state's exchange will look the same regardless of whether or not the state steps up to design and administer it (i.e. that a state design must mirror some federal model). That isn't the case. If it were, there wouldn't be much point in having 51 state-level exchanges instead of just going with a single national exchange (as the House Democrats wanted to do). The goal here is to let states tailor their designs to 51 unique environments.

Last edited:
What's consistent across the United States is that folks who don't have access to coverage through their employers will have access to marketplaces

And how are those marketplaces going to appear when they don't already exist ? What is changing ?

meeting the same statutory definition of an exchange (that doesn't mean anyone is required to buy their plan through an exchange; the existing, separate individual market will still exist).

"statutory definition of an exchange".....terrific. Even I know what that means. It means regulators are going to define the marketplace.

Yep...seen that before.

This is a basic level of functionality, primarily focused on facilitating enrollment in coverage and creating value for the consumer.

Uh..you mean forcing enrollement in coverage.

The consumer determines what creates value. The government is a poor choice for this function.

Key is still that people are required to have some form of insurance.

Or did that change ?

The latter means making available information that allows consumers to:
  • compare the benefit offerings of competing plans,
  • compare plans on standardized quality ratings,
  • compare prices across plans of a given actuarial value, and
  • easily determine their own financial liability under different plan options.

They didn't have this before ?

An "exchange" that fails the test of "does it organize the market into a competitive, consumer-oriented system" serves little purpose, as it doesn't address the fundamental deficiencies of the existing individual health insurance market that inhibit comparison shopping and competition between insurance plans.

:eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Those fundamental deficiencies have never been fully defined in a way that people agree upon. This is bogus.

That said, after meeting that baseline level of functionality, the fundamental design features of exchanges are left to state discretion. This is the part where a state decides what its market looks like, what the underlying philosophical principles of it are going to be, and what the relationship of the exchange to the private insurers offering plans through it is going to be.

A while back Deloitte laid out different models that will appeal to different states:

The ACA prescribes basic functions that all exchanges must be able to perform but gives the states some design flexibility. A host of factors are expected to impact the eventual design and functionality of the operating model of a given state exchange. The two main factors are:

• Market Environment – Some states manage markets through regulation, while others employ a free-market approach.
  • Exchange Capabilities – Some states will take a de minimis approach, while others will opt to build robust operational capabilities as they bring these exchanges online.

We anticipate that four health insurance exchange operating models will emerge, each with distinct characteristics: Information Aggregator, Retail-oriented Exchange, Guided Exchange, Market Curator (Figure 1).

us_lshc_HealthInsurnaceExchangeOperatingModels_500x395_062011.jpg

1. Information Aggregator – Takes a laissez-faire approach, where the state facilitates the transaction, and little more.
  2. Retail-Oriented Exchange – Seeks to develop a competitive marketplace focused on providing a robust shopping experience for the consumer.
  3. Guided Exchange – Reduces confusion for new consumers by offering a reduced number of more standardized products and a simplified shopping experience.
  4. Market Curator – Manages competition on a robust platform, where the state curates who can be on the exchange and, to a lesser extent, which products can be offered.

The model that emerges for any given state will factor heavily into a health plan’s decision to participate in the market, as well as influence development of its go-to-market strategy in “entry” states.

California's exchange is not going to look like Alabama's, which in turn may not look much like the federal default. The states themselves are responsible for making the basic design decisions that determine what the marketplace looks like in their state. Unless they prefer not to play that role and defer to whatever the federal option ends up looking like.

Yes, I've seen this stuff before.

You seem to be under the impression that a state's exchange will look the same regardless of whether or not the state steps up to design and administer it (i.e. that a state design must mirror some federal model). That isn't the case. If it were, there wouldn't be much point in having 51 state-level exchanges instead of just going with a single national exchange (as the House Democrats wanted to do). The goal here is to let states tailor their designs to 51 unique environments.

You still haven't answered the question....if someone does not want to participate....i.e. not buy insurance....can they opt out ?

What's consistent across the United States is that folks who don't have access to coverage through their employers will have access to marketplaces

And how are those marketplaces going to appear when they don't already exist ? What is changing ?
The exchanges will make it so people can view all the information about differences insurances all in one place, and in a more simpler format. It basically makes for the most efficient form of competition because it allows people to actually know the differences and benefits.
Also there really is very low amounts of competition in the insurance sector so the exchanges will allow new/small companies opportunities to gather a consumer base

meeting the same statutory definition of an exchange (that doesn't mean anyone is required to buy their plan through an exchange; the existing, separate individual market will still exist).

"statutory definition of an exchange".....terrific. Even I know what that means. It means regulators are going to define the marketplace.
Yep...seen that before.
Yes regulators will make it so those in exchanges can't lie or have inaccurate/misleading information and have benefits that are worthless how horrible

Uh..you mean forcing enrollement in coverage.
The consumer determines what creates value. The government is a poor choice for this function.
The exchanges make it so consumer know the differences between difference insurance policies so they can actually determine which is more valuable to them
Key is still that people are required to have some form of insurance.

Or did that change ?
No. The mandate only raises your taxes if you do not buy insurance it does not force you to have insurance.

Yes, I've seen this stuff before.
Then why do you know nothing about this stuff you say you have seen before?

You still haven't answered the question....if someone does not want to participate....i.e. not buy insurance....can they opt out ?
Yes, they can. Any other questions?

Yes regulators will make it so those in exchanges can't lie or have inaccurate/misleading information and have benefits that are worthless how horrible

wow they can do all that?? we should have those liberal regulators everywhere like they had them everywhere in the USSR and Red China, and in the USA before the 2 great depressions, and after Enron, and before the current depression, and the way each state has a health commissioner super regulator now.

Warren Buffett: "There are significant limits to what regulation can accomplish. As a dramatic illustration, take two of the biggest accounting disasters in the past ten years: Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. We're talking billions and billions of dollars of misstatements at both places".

Now, these are two incredibly important institutions. I mean, they accounted for over 40% of the mortgage flow a few years back. Right now I think they're up to 70%. They're quasi-governmental in nature. So the government set up an organization called OFHEO. I'm not sure what all the letters stand for. [Note to Warren: They stand for Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight.] But if you go to OFHEO's website, you'll find that its purpose was to just watch over these two companies. OFHEO had 200 employees. Their job was simply to look at two companies and say, "Are these guys behaving like they're supposed to?" And of course what happened were two of the greatest accounting misstatements in history while these 200 people had their jobs. It's incredible. I mean, two for two!

“Whatever regulatory changes are made, they will pale in comparison to the change already evident in today’s markets,” he said. “Those markets for an indefinite future will be far more restrained than would any currently contemplated new regulatory regime.”-Alan Greenspan

Last edited:

Forum List

Back