Gov. Christie proposes 10% N.J. income tax reduction

Awww, isn't that cute. You're jealous of what other people have, so you want to take it away from them.

If they were private sector it wouldn't matter. But they are public workers paid with tax money. Why should I have to pay for someones unused sick days?

Because it is part of the contract they had when they were hired.

And now the Governor is changing the contract because it is unfair to the tax payers.

Not when they are paid with tax payers money. They used to get paid a good deal less than private sector employees and that was why they had the compensation they have. But now they make more then their conterparts in the private sector.
And when they make deals with the same people they help elect it is not fair to the tax payers that are getting gouged.

Actually, that's not at all true. I worked for city wastewater treatmemt facility in the lab about 10 years ago. I made 23K a year. A lab tech in the private sector (like in the lab I worked for afterward) paid 32K a year which was the "market" norm for entry level and intermediate techs in the private sector. The reason that the public workers make more now is that the private sector is in a race to the bottom with wages due to the glut of unemployed / scarcity of good-paying jobs. People who used to make 40K a year are being offered 1/2 that - IF that. I know someone who got laid off, has a masters degree and many years experience - used to make over 40K a year in import/export but can't find a job offering more than $10/ hour - AND she has MS and will not get insurance if she loses what she had through her old company, even though she can't afford it, but that's another thread.

THAT is why public workers now seem to make more than private sector workers.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. Our parks have been slashed to the bone to the point where there is a noticeable drop in quality and service. We were told that this was a temporary solution. By cutting tax revenue, it is clear that Christie intends to make it permanent. Christie is not innocent, he has ordered curtailment in hours and cuts in hiring

Where's the billion Corzine lost ?....... :dunno:

What does that have to do with the State of NJ?

You forget who was our Governor before Christie?
He did the same to NJ that he did to MF Global.

Not when they are paid with tax payers money. They used to get paid a good deal less than private sector employees and that was why they had the compensation they have. But now they make more then their conterparts in the private sector.
And when they make deals with the same people they help elect it is not fair to the tax payers that are getting gouged.

Actually, that's not at all true. I worked for city wastewater treatmemt facility in the lab about 10 years ago. I made 23K a year. A lab tech in the private sector (like in the lab I worked for afterward) paid 32K a year which was the "market" norm for entry level and intermediate techs in the private sector. The reason that the public workers make more now is that the private sector is in a race to the bottom with wages due to the glut of unemployed / scarcity of good-paying jobs. People who used to make 40K a year are being offered 1/2 that - IF that. I know someone who got laid off, has a masters degree and many years experience - used to make over 40K a year in import/export but can't find a job offering more than $10 - AND she has MS and will not get insurance if she loses what she had through her old company, even though she can't afford it, but that's another thread.

THAT is why public workers now seem to make more than private sector workers.

You weren't working in Nj or you are flat out lying.
I knew teachers that were making 90K a year and they were bitching because they were being asked to pay 10% of their healthcare cost.

You weren't working in Nj or you are flat out lying.
I knew teachers that were making 90K a year and they were bitching because they were being asked to pay 10% of their healthcare cost.

I'm not being specific to NJ. It's the same everywhere. Didn't the teacher's union in Wisconsin concede to that and then had their collective bargaining rights taken away anyway? Didn't they pretty much concede to EVERYTHING and still have their collective bargaining rights taken away? Why was that, do you think? Link for your 90K teachers or STFU, anyway, since you obviously ignored my post that the PRIVATE SECTOR is responsible for the PS wages sinking faster than the titianic.

Last edited:
Who ever gets the pres nom would be stupid not to ask Christie to be their VP

He won't do it. Gov Christie would rather finish his term in New Jersey and make efforts to help bring businesses back into that state, while lowering the burden of debt and high taxes. This way he has the record and ability to say, as a Presidential nominee, he is committed to seeing things through for the long haul.

An income tax reduction sounds peachy...but what services will they have to cut in order to pay for it? Will they have to fire policemen, firemen and teachers, their favorite targets? Will street lights be cut off as they have been in so many cities around the country? Will police forces have to tell their citizens to just buy better security for their homes because they won't be able to respond quickly? What's the trade-off?

Perhaps by making sure that all current and future state pensions and benefits are paid for. This may include not weighing down the burden of the taxpayer by giving obscene FULL 100% long term benefits to those who are no longer working for the state. I'm sure there is plenty of unnecessary waste that can be trimmed. If the state can't afford elaborate costly benefit packages, why should they allow it? Give them what they need, not what they feel they are entitled to have.

Bet the folks in NJ ain't seen a tax reduction in that State in decades.

Good news for them and better news for Christie.

Really? Serving the public benefit is "good" for the people, and better for the politician? No wonder the state of our politics is so fucked up in this country.

Actually, we aren't talking about the Federal immigration issue and its "politics" on this thread.

Last edited:
An income tax reduction sounds peachy...but what services will they have to cut in order to pay for it? Will they have to fire policemen, firemen and teachers, their favorite targets? Will street lights be cut off as they have been in so many cities around the country? Will police forces have to tell their citizens to just buy better security for their homes because they won't be able to respond quickly? What's the trade-off?

perhaps we should wait to find out what, if any, services would need to be altered/reduced in order to pay for the cuts, before we jump to any wild conclusions in either direction?

Just sayin...

EDIT...

Christie Calls for 10% Income-Tax Cut for N.J. - Bloomberg
apparently the budget soon to be proposed will detail the costs of this tax cut and how it will be paid for. Should be interesting.

Since I haven't been able to find anywhere that NJ is operating with a budget surplus, it's logical to assume that cuts will have to be made somewhere.

Our country is currently reeling from unpaid for tax cuts. Can NJ afford to do the same?

You can't use tax increases as your excuse to offer more government spending. Eventually you have to make the right decision and stand up and say, our government can no longer afford to always look to increase spending!! Government CAN'T be the answer for every problem dumped at the feet of it's doorstep!

Last edited:
What matters is that our parks, and New Jersey has a great State Parks system have been slashed through austerity measures and Christies proposal will do nothing but ensure that they deteriorate further

increasing the funding for state parks and increasing the jobs in state parks... will hurt state parks?

Are you high?

The budget proposal put forward by Gov. Chris Christie on February 15, provides a modest increase in funds for the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), calls for an increase in parks and forestry appropriations and continues funding for several programs charged with protecting the state’s natural resources.

In addition, $6.2 million in funding for the operations of the State’s parks and forests is being restored from the state’s general fund, assuring that all state parks will remain open. Many of the 54 state parks have been operating with critically low staff levels, which the Governor has proposed increasing to better serve the more than 17 million visitors who make use of these sites annually. Capital development projects required to improve facilities at state parks would be allocated $2.6 million in Gov. Christie’s budget, helping to assure that visitors can use them safely and enjoyably.

Christie has done neither....but I guess if you continue to tell a lie, someone will believe it. Christie slashed funding for our parks system. He is offering a shoestring to keep them from closing completely. Christie is in the red for his funding of our beautiful parks. Just because he is not as much in the red doesn't mean that he has improved them.
Staff has been cut, hours have been cut, maintenance has been cut

But hey...at least the millionaires get their tax cut

you are a moron.

I already linked to the proof of his budgets INCREASING funding that was slashed BY THE PREVIOUS DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR. But if you want to continue to tell a lie, someone will believe it.

again, you're a moron.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/nine_state_parks_may_close_und.html
One in five New Jersey state parks would be forced to close at the height of the summer season and 80 parks workers would be laid off as part of cost-cutting measures forced by Gov. Jon S. Corzine's austere budget.

The Department of Environmental Protection is proposing to close nine state parks entirely, slash services at three more, and reduce offseason hours at all 42 sites.
But by all means, continue your Democratic partisan bullshit that all this was 'Christie's fault'.

Moron.

Last edited:
The Dems will of course start recall proceedings against him for having a positive impact on the financial condition of the state.
A positive impact on the financial condition of the state? The last time there was a massive tax cut on the federal level, we went from a budget surplus to a budget deficit. Why should New Jersey prove the exception?

It might work if New Jersey doesn't go to war in Iraq or Afghanistan without paying for it. Or if the economic conditions improve so much in New Jersey that by some miracle reducing revenues makes for an increase in revenues. Makes as much sense as screwing the poor and coddling the rich! That makes everybody happy, doesn't it? At least that's how the right thinks.

The last time a state offered to increase taxes, more than any other state to cover it's debt was California. Why should the Federal Government prove to be the exception?

All this does is reduce NJ's ability to provide necessary services.

Christie claims he eliminated waste. All he did was cut funding to local communities and schools so that they would have to make up the difference.

NJ residents have to makeup for state cuts in funding so that Christie can give tax breaks to his buddies

Why are there states that are funding for illegals to get free education on the backs of taxpayers? That's one example of waste the state shouldn't have found itself in the first place. Free cell phones and providing them with minute usage to those on WIC, is another example of government waste that's not needed. It's not as hard as you think, if you know where to look.

Yep, there it is. More BS from the left. Christie is trying to force government to stop wasting money. God forbid politicians learn to spend prudently. We have small communties with oversized police forces and way to maney school districts.
Hawaii has one school district. NJ has around 600.

I thought Republicans were for local control of educational decisions. Isn't that why they want to eliminate the Dept of Education?

State vs. Federal control.
What we have in NJ is nuts. 600 districts each with a superintendent and countless administrators. We are spending about $15,000.00 per kid yet most of that money never reaches the classroom. But all the dems and libs want to do is increase spending not fixing the real problems. We have tried their way for thirty years and the results are lously. At the least the quality of education has remained the same. In a lot of cases it has actually gotten worse. And then you have what were once called the Abbot districts. Sink holes just sucking the money from the tax payers.

They want to praise Obama when he looks to make cuts, making the claim it's to make government more leaner and efficient. Yet when Christy looks for cuts, it can only be to benefit the rich. Is that why Obama chose his vacation spot in Martha's Vineyard over Camp David, or to promote vacations among the gulf states after that giant oil spill? It's amazing how the Democrat left in choosing their vacations, always love the attention and lifestyle mingling among the middle class. I'm sorry, did I say middle class?

Last edited:
All this does is reduce NJ's ability to provide necessary services.

Christie claims he eliminated waste. All he did was cut funding to local communities and schools so that they would have to make up the difference.

NJ residents have to makeup for state cuts in funding so that Christie can give tax breaks to his buddies

Why are there states that are funding for illegals to get free education on the backs of taxpayers? That's one example of waste the state shouldn't have found itself in the first place. Free cell phones and providing them with minute usage to those on WIC, is another example of government waste that's not needed. It's not as hard as you think, if you know where to look.

WTF are you babbling about?

I thought Republicans were for local control of educational decisions. Isn't that why they want to eliminate the Dept of Education?

State vs. Federal control.
What we have in NJ is nuts. 600 districts each with a superintendent and countless administrators. We are spending about $15,000.00 per kid yet most of that money never reaches the classroom. But all the dems and libs want to do is increase spending not fixing the real problems. We have tried their way for thirty years and the results are lously. At the least the quality of education has remained the same. In a lot of cases it has actually gotten worse. And then you have what were once called the Abbot districts. Sink holes just sucking the money from the tax payers.

They want to praise Obama when he looks to make cuts, making the claim it's to make government more leaner and efficient. Yet when Christy looks for cuts, it can only be to benefit the rich. Is that why Obama chose his vacation spot in Martha's Vineyard over Camp David, or to promote vacations among the gulf states after that giant oil spill?

Democrats would NEVER allow 'their' cuts to benefit the rich. :rolleyes:

increasing the funding for state parks and increasing the jobs in state parks... will hurt state parks?

Are you high?

Christie has done neither....but I guess if you continue to tell a lie, someone will believe it. Christie slashed funding for our parks system. He is offering a shoestring to keep them from closing completely. Christie is in the red for his funding of our beautiful parks. Just because he is not as much in the red doesn't mean that he has improved them.
Staff has been cut, hours have been cut, maintenance has been cut

But hey...at least the millionaires get their tax cut

you are a moron.

I already linked to the proof of his budgets INCREASING funding that was slashed BY THE PREVIOUS DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR. But if you want to continue to tell a lie, someone will believe it.

again, you're a moron.

Nine state parks may close under budget ax | NJ.com
One in five New Jersey state parks would be forced to close at the height of the summer season and 80 parks workers would be laid off as part of cost-cutting measures forced by Gov. Jon S. Corzine's austere budget.

The Department of Environmental Protection is proposing to close nine state parks entirely, slash services at three more, and reduce offseason hours at all 42 sites.
But by all means, continue your Democratic partisan bullshit that all this was 'Christie's fault'.

Moron.

th_MontyPythonRunAway.jpg

Not when they are paid with tax payers money.

IT DOES NOT MATTER! Just because someone is an employee of the government does not erase their right to pursue their own financial wealth and to negotiate as beneficial of a compensation package as they can. When are you going to get it through your head, they don't work for your sake, they work for their own sake.

They used to get paid a good deal less than private sector employees and that was why they had the compensation they have. But now they make more then their conterparts in the private sector.

Shut up with the jealousy already. If you want to get paid as well as they do, go get yourself a government job. Nobody is stopping you, other than yourself.

Wow, with that tone you would think you are some rich CEO fighting for what he has used his own abilities to earn. I take it then that "redistribution" is a no? :lol:

Last edited:
Awww, isn't that cute. You're jealous of what other people have, so you want to take it away from them.

If they were private sector it wouldn't matter. But they are public workers paid with tax money. Why should I have to pay for someones unused sick days?

Because it is part of the contract they had when they were hired.

Yes. And according to what I've read, accumulated (contracted) sick time will be honored/grandfathered until the new regs are put in place. Any sick time accumulated AFTER that will not be carried over.

A $$$ cap would be preferable in my opinion. Everyone will just use their sick time costing extra money in substitute teachers.

I have accumulated over 100 days - not because of the lousy $50 a day at retirement - but because missing school disrupts my students' learning. Call me crazy, but I don't think it's fair or wise to punish people with good attendance. :eusa_whistle:

I just hope Christie isn't gambling on increased revenue due to his "business friendlier" policies. It will work - but may take years.

It's just soooooooo refreshing to hear someone talk about lowering taxes. Under Corzine, it seemed like a new tax/new regulation every other week.

Forum List

Back