Gov. Christie proposes 10% N.J. income tax reduction

An income tax reduction sounds peachy...but what services will they have to cut in order to pay for it? Will they have to fire policemen, firemen and teachers, their favorite targets? Will street lights be cut off as they have been in so many cities around the country? Will police forces have to tell their citizens to just buy better security for their homes because they won't be able to respond quickly? What's the trade-off?

perhaps we should wait to find out what, if any, services would need to be altered/reduced in order to pay for the cuts, before we jump to any wild conclusions in either direction?

Just sayin...

EDIT...

Christie Calls for 10% Income-Tax Cut for N.J. - Bloomberg
apparently the budget soon to be proposed will detail the costs of this tax cut and how it will be paid for. Should be interesting.

Since I haven't been able to find anywhere that NJ is operating with a budget surplus, it's logical to assume that cuts will have to be made somewhere.

Our country is currently reeling from unpaid for tax cuts. Can NJ afford to do the same?

The Dems will of course start recall proceedings against him for having a positive impact on the financial condition of the state.
A positive impact on the financial condition of the state? The last time there was a massive tax cut on the federal level, we went from a budget surplus to a budget deficit. Why should New Jersey prove the exception?

It might work if New Jersey doesn't go to war in Iraq or Afghanistan without paying for it. Or if the economic conditions improve so much in New Jersey that by some miracle reducing revenues makes for an increase in revenues. Makes as much sense as screwing the poor and coddling the rich! That makes everybody happy, doesn't it? At least that's how the right thinks.

An income tax reduction sounds peachy...but what services will they have to cut in order to pay for it? Will they have to fire policemen, firemen and teachers, their favorite targets? Will street lights be cut off as they have been in so many cities around the country? Will police forces have to tell their citizens to just buy better security for their homes because they won't be able to respond quickly? What's the trade-off?

perhaps we should wait to find out what, if any, services would need to be altered/reduced in order to pay for the cuts, before we jump to any wild conclusions in either direction?

Just sayin...

EDIT...

apparently the budget soon to be proposed will detail the costs of this tax cut and how it will be paid for. Should be interesting.

Since I haven't been able to find anywhere that NJ is operating with a budget surplus, it's logical to assume that cuts will have to be made somewhere.

Our country is currently reeling from unpaid for tax cuts. Can NJ afford to do the same?

Christie is also calling for education reform. That will save more than enough. He is also tring to stop public workers from saving up sick days for years and cashing out when they retire. Amazing how these people never get sick for twenty years.

Just sayin...

EDIT...

which is why I am reserving complete judgement on this until he actually proposes his budget. Not all cuts in spending are bad, mind you. Cutting waste and using the savings for this would be good. Cutting needed services, bad.

Just sayin...

EDIT...

Christie is also calling for education reform. That will save more than enough. He is also tring to stop public workers from saving up sick days for years and cashing out when they retire. Amazing how these people never get sick for twenty years.

Education reform in the form of what? So far all we've seen of "education reform" from Republicans is to fire teachers, increase class sizes and close schools down completely. That's not reform.

Is he going to REQUIRE that people take their sick leave? I don't live in NJ, but I was told that I didn't have enough sick leave on the books...it actually showed up in my performance evaluation. (after having a c-section for giving birth to twins and having another surgery).

As a public worker for my local county, I only get health benefits, after I retire, for the amount of time I have sick leave.

It's their leave that they have EARNED but not taken. The governor wants to just take it away from them? That's fucked up.

Education reform in the form of what? So far all we've seen of "education reform" from Republicans is to fire teachers, increase class sizes and close schools down completely. That's not reform.

Is he going to REQUIRE that people take their sick leave? I don't live in NJ, but I was told that I didn't have enough sick leave on the books...it actually showed up in my performance evaluation. (after having a c-section for giving birth to twins and having another surgery).

As a public worker for my local county, I only get health benefits, after I retire, for the amount of time I have sick leave.

It's their leave that they have EARNED but not taken. The governor wants to just take it away from them? That's fucked up.

I don't get to carry my unused sick days from year to year. Why should they?

The Dems will of course start recall proceedings against him for having a positive impact on the financial condition of the state.
A positive impact on the financial condition of the state? The last time there was a massive tax cut on the federal level, we went from a budget surplus to a budget deficit. Why should New Jersey prove the exception?

It might work if New Jersey doesn't go to war in Iraq or Afghanistan without paying for it. Or if the economic conditions improve so much in New Jersey that by some miracle reducing revenues makes for an increase in revenues. Makes as much sense as screwing the poor and coddling the rich! That makes everybody happy, doesn't it? At least that's how the right thinks.

God forbid everyone have opportunity...
Vote democrat

25 trillion in debt by 2018

Class envy or a continued race to the bottom? Why couldn't you negociate a way to bank sick days too?

Vote democrat

How are you going to reduce debt by cutting revenue? If a business is going broke, should they simply reduce the pricve of their product, or should they couple price reductions with cost cutting measures? Seems a balanced approach would be more effective.

And ain't no opportunity for anybody if the needed services get cut only to balance a reduction in revenue.

Gov. Chris Christie today proposed a 10 percent reduction in state income taxes regardless of income — phased in over three years — and restoration of the earned-income tax credit that would benefit the state's poorest citizens.

Understand what this means," Christie said in his State of the State message, the second one he has delivered since becoming governor in January 2010,. "Every New Jerseyan will get a cut in taxes. The working poor. The struggling middle class. The new college graduates getting their first job. The senior citizens who have already retired. The single mom. The job creators. The parents trying to afford to send their son or daughter to college.

As he put it: " Everyone made the sacrifice. Everyone will share in the benefit."

Gov. Christie proposes 10 percent N.J. income tax reduction | NJ.com

A politician looking out for 100% of the citizens? What a concept. :eek:

Gearing up for 2016?

It makes no sense

Christie has been on an austerity campaign for two years. He has been telling everyone to suck it up, make sacrifices and settle for less. What this means is our schools and local communities have had to provide services that used to be funded by the state

All this accomplishes is to tell people to suck it up so that he can give further tax breaks to millionaires

Vote democrat

How are you going to reduce debt by cutting revenue? If a business is going broke, should they simply reduce the pricve of their product, or should they couple price reductions with cost cutting measures? Seems a balanced approach would be more effective.

And ain't no opportunity for anybody if the needed services get cut only to balance a reduction in revenue.

LOL SUCH SIMPLE MINDS.

Tax cuts can reduce or increase revenue depending on the type and implementation.

Can you think beyond catch phrases?

If you knew the waste in the education system in NJ you would understand. We spend more money on administration and other BS it is a joke. Then the teachers are protected to the point that to fire a single teacher cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They didn't earn squat. The sick days shouldn't carry over year after year. If you don't use it you should lose it. In NJ public workers on the state level, especially teachers, had free healthcare for life. They are finally being made to pay a small percentage. Nit nearly enough though as most private sector employees pay half if they even have insurance with their company.

Class envy or a continued race to the bottom? Why couldn't you negociate a way to bank sick days too?

Not my point. Perhaps I worded it poorly.

I could certainly try to negotiate keeping my sick days, nothing stops me. Nothing stops my company from saying 'no', either.

In their case, if they want to negotiate to keep their sick days, nothing stops them, but their employer is free to say 'no', too.

In both cases, we are each free to seek employment elsewhere if we don't like the benefits package, rules, etc.

Come on Conservative, that's your response "how come they get to"? Really?

Tax cuts are the answer to EVERY QUESTION, right?

All he's doing is starving his state of funds so he can cut social programs and union influence. Like it's been tried practically everywhere in the country. This isn't NEW or INNOVATIVE. It's more republican dirty tricks to put more money in the pockets of their uber-rich leash-holders under the guise of "helping" working people. You want to help working people? Make sure they have a fricking job. A few hundred bucks isn't much when compared to a JOB, is it? Where's Christie's plan for JOBS? Tax cuts are one of the LEAST effective ways of boosting employment.

It's this slavish devotion to cutting taxes that stagnated wages for the last 30 years and underfunded our treasury. Throw in a couple of wars and some deregulation of the financial sector and you conservatives have pretty much turned a once strong country into a more stratified society than England and OLD WORLD Europe.

Gov. Chris Christie today proposed a 10 percent reduction in state income taxes regardless of income — phased in over three years — and restoration of the earned-income tax credit that would benefit the state's poorest citizens.

Understand what this means," Christie said in his State of the State message, the second one he has delivered since becoming governor in January 2010,. "Every New Jerseyan will get a cut in taxes. The working poor. The struggling middle class. The new college graduates getting their first job. The senior citizens who have already retired. The single mom. The job creators. The parents trying to afford to send their son or daughter to college.

As he put it: " Everyone made the sacrifice. Everyone will share in the benefit."

Gearing up for 2016?

It makes no sense

Christie has been on an austerity campaign for two years. He has been telling everyone to suck it up, make sacrifices and settle for less. What this means is our schools and local communities have had to provide services that used to be funded by the state

All this accomplishes is to tell people to suck it up so that he can give further tax breaks to millionaires

Yep, there it is. More BS from the left. Christie is trying to force government to stop wasting money. God forbid politicians learn to spend prudently. We have small communties with oversized police forces and way to maney school districts.
Hawaii has one school district. NJ has around 600.

Private companies don't use tax payer money to pay their employees.
We can not afford to be paying out huge amouts because the public workers didn't use their sick days.

Gearing up for 2016?

It makes no sense

yeah... only the rich will get cuts :rolleyes:

Please see previous post. I already said perhaps I worded that poorly, and went on to explain.

Tax cuts are the answer to EVERY QUESTION, right?

All he's doing is starving his state of funds so he can cut social programs and union influence. Like it's been tried practically everywhere in the country. This isn't NEW or INNOVATIVE. It's more republican dirty tricks to put more money in the pockets of their uber-rich leash-holders under the guise of "helping" working people. You want to help working people? Make sure they have a fricking job. A few hundred bucks isn't much when compared to a JOB, is it? Where's Christie's plan for JOBS? Tax cuts are one of the LEAST effective ways of boosting employment.

It's this slavish devotion to cutting taxes that stagnated wages for the last 30 years and underfunded our treasury. Throw in a couple of wars and some deregulation of the financial sector and you conservatives have pretty much turned a once strong country into a more stratified society than England and OLD WORLD Europe.

More BS. Christie is doing something about jobs but hacks like you ignore it. He has the highest approval rating from the business community ever recorded.

Forum List

Back