gotta love those energy companies

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2955822/detail.html

Gas Company Was Aware Of Faulty Pipe
Pipeline Caused 8 Fires, Deaths

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A North Texas gas company, which regulates the state's pipelines, knew about a faulty pipe for more than 30 years before disclosing it to state regulators this year, a newspaper reported Sunday.

Five people died and at least five others were injured in eight fires caused by the pipeline, according to documents examined by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

The Texas Railroad Commission ordered the removal of the 750-mile pipe after a gas explosion in 2000 killed three people in Garland.

The pipe was installed in the 1970s by Lone Star Gas, a subsidiary of Enserch. In 1997, Enserch merged with TXU Corp. to create a new subsidiary, TXU Gas.

The pipe is made of polyethylene, called Poly 1, and will crack if dropped, squeezed off or handled in almost any way, railroad commission officials said.

"The company knew for decades that they had bad pipe in the ground. Several people were killed -- and they have gotten off with no penalties," said Janee Briesemeister, a policy analyst with Consumers Union, which also publishes Consumer Reports magazine. "And now they want consumers to pay to fix their problems? Consumers should be outraged."

TXU Gas already has been fined $250,000 for missing deadlines to remove the pipe, Railroad Commission safety director Mary McDaniel said.

Sydna Gordon, a lawyer whose parents were killed in the Garland explosion, said the gas company and the state regulators share blame for the deaths.

"I believe they both bear responsibility -- both the regulators and TXU," she said. "I just don't understand why they would have allowed the company to leave something that dangerous in the ground for so long. ... It's inspired me to do whatever I can to help other people be safe. I don't want something like this happening to someone else's family."

This mentality is pervasive though....."Hey, it seems to work ok because nobody complains....we will fix it after somebody notices it..."

I see that type of thinking in every industry I have worked in.

:rolleyes:

Last year a Seattle area water company conducted a HUGE campaign to get people to conserve water - they threatened massive shortages if the City didn't cut it's consumption signifigantly ...

So...Seattle being full of 'greenies' did just that...20% I think...

After the summer, the water company RAISED ITS RATES by 20-something percent to offset what it called "Reduced revenues due to residents not using as much water"

I hope there is a special place in hell for the CEOs of companies like this.

:(

[edit residenTS..not residence :) ]

Originally posted by dmp
Last year a Seattle area water company conducted a HUGE campaign to get people to conserve water - they threatened massive shortages if the City didn't cut it's consumption signifigantly ...

After the summer, the water company RAISED ITS RATES by 20-something percent to offset what it called "Reduced revenues due to residence not using as much water"

now THATS fuckked up

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! We regularly get threatened with water shortages, power shortages, spotted owl shortages (though that one hasn't popped up in a few years), tree shortages, fire warnings, etc. Environmental alarmism at its best.

geez DK, you wouldnt want them to act so soon would you? they wouldnt be able to afford thsoe new cars they get every year of they had corrected that problem

Originally posted by dmp

After the summer, the water company RAISED ITS RATES by 20-something percent to offset what it called "Reduced revenues due to residents not using as much water"

[edit residenTS..not residence :) ]
now why doenst that figure? damned if you do, damned if you dont

Forum List

Back