Gotta Love These Kids!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Interesting civil disobedience, so far no consequences other than positive. Links at site:

http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/200...-rights-defy-aclu-and-judges-order-to-censor/

Students Make A Stand For Their Rights, Defy ACLU And Judge’s Order To Censor
by Jay on 05-21-06 @ 11:32 am Filed under ACLU, Church And State, 1st Amendment, News

One thing is for sure, the liberals can’t say this was government endorsed. I applaud these young men and women for standing up for their rights, and setting the example for others. The ACLU filed suit on behalf of one student who felt offended that a prayer would be included in their graduation ceremony. U.S. District Judge Joseph McKinley granted a temporary restraining order sought by a student. Here is how the students responded to the attempts to censor them.

The senior class at a southern Kentucky high school gave their response Friday night to a federal judge’s order banning prayer at commencement.

About 200 seniors stood during the principal’s opening remarks and began reciting the Lord’s Prayer, prompting a standing ovation from a standing-room only crowd at the Russell County High School gymnasium.

The thunderous applause drowned out the last part of the prayer.

The revival like atmosphere continued when senior Megan Chapman said in her opening remarks that God had guided her since childhood. Chapman was interrupted repeatedly by the cheering crowd as she urged her classmates to trust in God as they go through life.

The challenge made the graduation even better because it unified the senior class, Chapman said.

“It made the whole senior class come together as one and I think that’s the best way to go out,” said Chapman, who plans to attend the University of the Cumberlands with her twin sister Megan.

The graduation took place about 12 hours after a federal judge blocked the inclusion of prayer as part of Russell County High School’s graduation ceremonies.​

Bravo!

The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiller tells us that the “unidentified student” isn’t really so unidentified after all. Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Her name is Arshiya Saiyed, a 17 year old Muslim student. For some reason the MSM doesn’t want you know that. :boohoo:

jillian said:
Would you feel as impressed by the kids if it was a muslim prayer that they wanted?
Well I would assume in Saudi Arabia, there would be no ACLU and if there was perchance some dolt of a Christian or Jew that brought up the problem, never mind, they never would have lived long enough for commencement excercises.

Kathianne said:
Well I would assume in Saudi Arabia, there would be no ACLU and if there was perchance some dolt of a Christian or Jew that brought up the problem, never mind, they never would have lived long enough for commencement excercises.

Um...no...a muslim prayer.. in THIS country. ;)

How would you feel if they made THAT happen at your kids' commencement exercises?

jillian said:
Um...no...a muslim prayer.. in THIS country. ;)

How would you feel if they made THAT happen at your kids' commencement exercises?
Well I'm quite certain that if they were in CA, WA, or OR, a Muslim prayer would not only be OK, but everyone would have to memorize it in their social studies class...

Kathianne said:
Well I'm quite certain that if they were in CA, WA, or OR, a Muslim prayer would not only be OK, but everyone would have to memorize it in their social studies class...

I'm pretty sure, though, you wouldn't be talking about how wonderful it is. :)

jillian said:
Right you are. Still and all, the kids prevailed. Just like the mullahs in Saudiville, well they let the protester graduate and live, but other than that...

jillian said:

That's because it's nothing new. Right now, there's classes at all sorts of schools from elementary all the way through college that are offering classes in Islam where the students wear Muslim garb, pray to Allah, and 'play jihad.' For a Muslim prayer to be allowed in public school is no more big news than a celebrity bashing Bush. A Christian prayer actually allowed in a public school, student initiated or not, is about as rare as a ham at a barmitzva. Now that's news.

Hobbit said:
That's because it's nothing new. Right now, there's classes at all sorts of schools from elementary all the way through college that are offering classes in Islam where the students wear Muslim garb, pray to Allah, and 'play jihad.' For a Muslim prayer to be allowed in public school is no more big news than a celebrity bashing Bush. A Christian prayer actually allowed in a public school, student initiated or not, is about as rare as a ham at a barmitzva. Now that's news.

Only if you want your own *brand* of religion in public schools. My point was only that this is something that you're pleased about because it represents your value system. I view ANYONE'S prayers in school as wholly and totally inappropriate.

Like I said before, if there were an organized Muslim prayer, you wouldn't be that happy about it. And relying on things that were intended, not to foster religion, but to foster understanding in this messed up world, is a false argument. And so you know, I disagree with the fostering of ANY religion in governmental/publicly sponsored places, so at least I'm consistent about it.

I was just observing that there is some inconsistency inherant in cheering for one while decrying the others.

It seems to me that the student actions were purely their own, without government influence, as such, I believe their graduation prayers are constitutionally allowed. In fact, I would go so far as to say that had the school or district court attempted to halt the senior's actions, the court or school may have been guilty of "prohibiting the free exercise," of the student's religion.

As for the events leading to the initial injunction, that's another story.

Forum List

Back