Gotta love the Unions, another Union boss pleads guilty of extortion ..

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
What else is frickin new with American unions? Same ol' song and dance for the past 40 years.

Teamster in 'Top Chef' case pleads guilty to attempted extortion

One of the five Teamsters accused of trying to pressure the producers of "Top Chef" to hire union workers pleaded guilty today, but has not agreed to testify against the others, according to his lawyer and court documents.

Mark Harrington, formerly the secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 25, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted extortion in U.S. District Court.

What else is frickin new with American unions? Same ol' song and dance for the past 40 years.

One of the five Teamsters accused of trying to pressure the producers of "Top Chef" to hire union workers pleaded guilty today, but has not agreed to testify against the others, according to his lawyer and court documents.

Mark Harrington, formerly the secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 25, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted extortion in U.S. District Court.
The Teamsters is a very big union and it's not at all surprising that some level of corruption will arise in such a massive organization. But It's neither wise nor constructive to accentuate the negative while ignoring the positive, which is why my son-in-law, and many like him, are the men you should be discussing this with.

My son-in-law is a high-school dropout. He started with UPS sorting packages on the night-shift with a decent hourly wage. He went from that to loading trucks, also with a decent wage. From that he became a helper, then a package route driver. Then he paid a school $2,500 to learn how to drive and maintain eighteen-wheelers. UPS finally promoted him to that level and he now does airport runs on the 4-12 shift.

What I'm getting at is you should see the house he owns on Long Island. He drives an almost new car. My daughter has an almost new car. Both their kids go to parochial school that he pays for -- and they want for nothing. All of that by a school dropout who was a member of the Teamsters Union for all his working life!

I have two college degrees and I never earned as much as he does -- and he will proudly tell you the Teamsters Union is why he has what he has. So I suggest where judging the Teamsters is concerned you don't think along the lines of tossing out the baby with the bathwater

Unions are one of the best things to happen in American life. Unfortunately they are not without some warts. But without them there would not be a Middle Class and none of us working class Americans would be living as well as we do -- from the top to the bottom.

Corruption will occur in all sizable organizations. From unions to religions. But look at the good they do as well as the occasional bad.

Last edited:

The Teamsters is a very big union and it's not at all surprising that some level of corruption will arise in such a massive organization. But It's neither wise nor constructive to accentuate the negative while ignoring the positive, which is why my son-in-law, and many like him, are the men you should be discussing this with.

My son-in-law is a high-school dropout. He started with UPS sorting packages on the night-shift with a decent hourly wage. He went from that to loading trucks, also with a decent wage. From that he became a helper, then a package route driver. Then he paid a school $2,500 to learn how to drive and maintain eighteen-wheelers. UPS finally promoted him to that level and he now does airport runs on the 4-12 shift.

What I'm getting at is you should see the house he owns on Long Island. He drives an almost new car. My daughter has an almost new car. Both their kids go to parochial school that he pays for -- and they want for nothing. All of that by a school dropout who was a member of the Teamsters Union for all his working life!

I have two college degrees and I never earned as much as he does -- and he will proudly tell you the Teamsters Union is why he has what he has. So I suggest where judging the Teamsters is concerned you don't think along the lines of tossing out the baby with the bathwater

Unions are one of the best things to happen in American life. Unfortunately they are not without some warts. But without them there would not be a Middle Class and none of us working class Americans would be living as well as we do -- from the top to the bottom.

Corruption will occur in all sizable organizations. From unions to religions. But look at the good they do as well as the occasional bad.

Thanks for the story, I have one to tell also, a 28 year old black kid started with us a few weeks ago, he was an operator at a local company making around $12 bucks an hour he went to night school at a local technical school
Medtronics..

We hired him on at $20 an hour plus OT.

So I have a question for you..how did your son get his union job? This black kid that we hired I was there in his interview I told my boss he was young but bright.

[...]

So I have a question for you..how did your son get his union job? This black kid that we hired I was there in his interview I told my boss he was young but bright.
It's my son-in-law. He started with UPS back in the 70s, sorting packages on the 12-8 shift. He said he worked there for awhile before he "got his book," meaning the union finally accepted him. I don't recall how long that was but before he got his book he was on "shape-up" status, meaning there were weeks when he only worked three or four days. But once he got in the union he was "in."

Heard the latest rumor that Trump is providing Ms America contestants to Jimmy Hoffa, in exchange for the UAW applying pressure to force Ford to move to Mexico??

And he got a sweetheart backroom deal to avoid the usual 2-year jail sentence.

I wonder whose campaign he contributed to for that one.

Forum List

Back