Got Bonz an ice cream maker....

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I recommend it.
Our first Ice Cream we made was Bourbon Butter Pecan. Taste awesome, but the texture wasn't right. Too many ice crystals, so instead of creamy... sort of thin and gritty.
Our second attempt is coffee ice cream. Better. Definitely creamier. Main change was patience. A virtue I lack. Reading on the net, I did not chill the custard long enough in the fridge before churning it in the maker. This time we did. And sure enough the unit got down to -15 degrees within a couple minutes. It is that quick cold temp that prevents ice crystals to form.
This is the unit I purchased.... I highly recommend it. This unit, and brand always seems to be either #1 or #2 on mid-range ice cream makers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXMW4AS/?tag=ff0d01-20

1608911238492.png

The best ice cream takes lots of...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Attachments

• 1608911217722.png
    1608911217722.png
    46 KB · Views: 82
  • 1608911217802.png
    1608911217802.png
    46 KB · Views: 85
I recommend it.
Our first Ice Cream we made was Bourbon Butter Pecan. Taste awesome, but the texture wasn't right. Too many ice crystals,
There should be no ice crystals. If there are ice crystals that means it was contaminated by water. Use better ingredients.

Pretty sure water's in everything, including the air.

I recommend it.
Our first Ice Cream we made was Bourbon Butter Pecan. Taste awesome, but the texture wasn't right. Too many ice crystals,
There should be no ice crystals. If there are ice crystals that means it was contaminated by water. Use better ingredients.
Whole milk is 87% water, heavy cream is still 23% water.
In a "slow freeze" the water molecules will have time to separate from other ingredients and become crystalized.
In a "fast freeze" they don't have time to separate, so in essence it simply becomes thicker. The creaminess stays intact.

Holy cow. That's a heck of a machine right there.
Holy Cow... it is $100 more now than I paid for it! Apparently it was a special Christmas sale.
Wow... glad i saw it when I did.
Having said that... it is a great machine. Sooo easy to use, and even easier to clean.

I recommend it.
In a "slow freeze" the water molecules will have time to separate from other ingredients and become crystalized.
In a "fast freeze" they don't have time to separate, so in essence it simply becomes thicker. The creaminess stays intact.
I'm no ice cream expert, but I thought the whole point of making ice cream was to remove all of the moisture. Or at least as much as possible.

I recommend it.
I'm no ice cream expert, but I thought the whole point of making ice cream was to remove all of the moisture. Or at least as much as possible.
I'm not an expert either, at least not yet. I tend to hyper focus on stuff and won't stop until I perfect it.
You can't remove the moisture. Like I say, whole milk is 87% water. But those water molecules are attached to the fats/proteins in the milk/cream - and that is what makes it creamy. If the custard (what you call the mixture after you cook it and before it becomes ice cream) doesn't freeze fast enough, the freezing process naturally causes the water molecules to start separating and harden (crystalize).
If it freezes rapidly, the water molecules don't have time to separate so the hardening effect indeed hardens the cream, but doesn't form crystals.

My mom use to collect freshly fallen snow add in some orange juice semi frozen in ice cube trays and cream or half and half....mix it all up...yum...as I got older we would add rum....

Forum List

Back