Gore’s Sustainable Fascism

notthe1

Rookie
Oct 28, 2008
The voters have spoken, and so has Al Gore. It seems that the United States has no choice but to outlaw the burning of all coal and pretty much lay a chain saw to most of the energy industries and embrace something akin to the Great Leap Forward. In calling for “sustainable capitalism,” Gore and his business partner David Blood write in the Wall Street Journal:

At this moment, we are faced with the convergence of three interrelated crises: economic recession, energy insecurity and the overarching climate crisis. Solving any one of these challenges requires addressing all three.

For example, by challenging America to generate 100% carbon-free electricity within 10 years – with the building of a 21st century Unified National Smart Grid, and the electrification of our automobile fleet – we can encourage investment in our economy, secure domestic energy supplies, and create millions of jobs across the country.

We also need to internalize externalities – starting with a price on carbon. The longer we delay the internalization of this obviously material cost, the greater risk the economy faces from investing in high carbon content, “sub-prime” assets. Such investments ignore the reality of the climate crisis and its consequences for business. And as Jonathan Lash, president of the World Resources Institute recently said: “Nature does not do bailouts.”

Going green is not the answer to our economic problems. It may be a piece of the pie, but not Gore's all encompassing solution. I find that ignorant at best. I am glad Al Gore was not our president, that is stupid. The economic change America needs is competitiveness. We need to return to being competitive in the car industry. If American cars suck, its not just about making them "green", its all about price and fuel efficiency. If GM and Ford can't compete, let them fail! Capitalism isn't about propping up losers, its about getting the best products for the least amount.

Going green wont be the miracle that fixes wall st., saves America's economy, pays for American's homes, or gives jobs to the unemployed. That is the one size fits all mentality that has failed America the last few years.

The voters have spoken, and so has Al Gore. It seems that the United States has no choice but to outlaw the burning of all coal and pretty much lay a chain saw to most of the energy industries and embrace something akin to the Great Leap Forward. In calling for “sustainable capitalism,” Gore and his business partner David Blood write in the Wall Street Journal:

At this moment, we are faced with the convergence of three interrelated crises: economic recession, energy insecurity and the overarching climate crisis. Solving any one of these challenges requires addressing all three.

For example, by challenging America to generate 100% carbon-free electricity within 10 years – with the building of a 21st century Unified National Smart Grid, and the electrification of our automobile fleet – we can encourage investment in our economy, secure domestic energy supplies, and create millions of jobs across the country.

We also need to internalize externalities – starting with a price on carbon. The longer we delay the internalization of this obviously material cost, the greater risk the economy faces from investing in high carbon content, “sub-prime” assets. Such investments ignore the reality of the climate crisis and its consequences for business. And as Jonathan Lash, president of the World Resources Institute recently said: “Nature does not do bailouts.”

And just think the idiot twins Pelosi and Reid are in charge.. :lol::eusa_pray:

I'd like to know, in the OP's opinion, why this should be considered "fascism".

I don't agree with Gore personally, but I'm wondering what makes this "fascism".

Because "facism" has a nice negative sound to it to lay on Gore.:eusa_whistle:

And just think the idiot twins Pelosi and Reid are in charge..

As opposed to the former two idiots Boehner and What's His Name. They did a great job. You can tell from the healthy state of our economy.:cuckoo:

Because "facism" has a nice negative sound to it to lay on Gore.:eusa_whistle:

As opposed to the former two idiots Boehner and What's His Name. They did a great job. You can tell from the healthy state of our economy.:cuckoo:

who happens to be about 600 million or billion dollars richer from selling his stuff!

I just love that good old American can do spirit displayed here. Cross the Allaghenies, oh no, Mr. Boone, can't do that, bad Indians on the other side. Cross continental expedition, what in the world are you thinking about, Mr. Jefferson? Build a first class fighter in 157 days from conception to flight? What a flight of imagination! The moon in a decade, surely Mr. President, you are dreaming!

What a bunch of couch potatoes we seem to have here. Guess what! "YES, WE CAN!"

I just love that good old American can do spirit displayed here. Cross the Allaghenies, oh no, Mr. Boone, can't do that, bad Indians on the other side. Cross continental expedition, what in the world are you thinking about, Mr. Jefferson? Build a first class fighter in 157 days from conception to flight? What a flight of imagination! The moon in a decade, surely Mr. President, you are dreaming!

What a bunch of couch potatoes we seem to have here. Guess what! "YES, WE CAN!"

how far away from work are you??? they gonna run airplanes on farts? or are we switiching to gliders???? good luck!

how far away from work are you??? they gonna run airplanes on farts? or are we switiching to gliders???? good luck!

Yes, we can use biofuels to power our commercial aircraft. We can power our nation with a combination of wind, solar, geothermal, and nuclear. We can have plug in electric hybrids. The technology is already here for all of these things. What is lacking is the will. Time for real change, and "YES, WE CAN!".

Yes, we can use biofuels to power our commercial aircraft. We can power our nation with a combination of wind, solar, geothermal, and nuclear. We can have plug in electric hybrids. The technology is already here for all of these things. What is lacking is the will. Time for real change, and "YES, WE CAN!".

what kind of biofuels

Let's not, since it isn't.

Kidding…

“Totalitarian” only taking Environmentalism to an extreme where all interests are rendered secondary to the overriding tenant of a “Green” world. I know it’s a stupid extreme but if someone is calling Gore a “Fascist” they are already taking this to a stupid extreme. In that event, Gore would be more of a Totalitarian.

But I think Gore is more of an interested party in the great Pluralist Democracy that is America…i.e. not a Totalitarian. I don’t see him leading a flannel clad army of 20 something’s in violent revolt against the power industry.

THAT’S something I would pay good money to see.

Kidding…

“Totalitarian” only taking Environmentalism to an extreme where all interests are rendered secondary to the overriding tenant of a “Green” world. I know it’s a stupid extreme but if someone is calling Gore a “Fascist” they are already taking this to a stupid extreme. In that event, Gore would be more of a Totalitarian.

But I think Gore is more of an interested party in the great Pluralist Democracy that is America…i.e. not a Totalitarian. I don’t see him leading a flannel clad army of 20 something’s in violent revolt against the power industry.

THAT’S something I would pay good money to see.

Totalitarianism is where the state regulates all aspects, public and private, with absolute power. Fascism is similar, but consists of corporate control via government.

You could argue that there is a strong case for claiming fascism in the US, just by how much influence and control corporations have over our government.

But what Gore is proposing, in and of itself, is neither, by definition.

And just think the idiot twins Pelosi and Reid are in charge.. :lol::eusa_pray:

What I find funny is, they are in charge because of the failures of their predeccesors. So I guess the joke is really on those who got booted, since they were doing such a good job. :lol:

Carbon free electo-generation is a good goal.

We can't keep putting CO2 and acid rain, and the mercury emmissions into our environment forever, ya know.

i'd be nice if a grass root approach of people wanting to conserve, making conservation (instead of gluttony) patriotic, like Jimmy Carter tried to inspire us to would occur in this country

Something has to be done about the spew coming out of the coal fired electro generation plants of the mid west.

We were on our way to dealing with that sensibly, by making those companies add scrubbers, but Bush in his infinite stupidity changed the laws to allow those companies NOT to solve that problem during his administration

Well now it's up to Obama to fix that....again.

We can generate power from coal and NOT pollute, too, ya know?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back