GOPer calls for a great white hope

clearly, it's a black day for the repubs.

Idioms & Phrases

great white hope

Something or someone that is expected to succeed. For example, Mark is the great white hope of the international division. This expression dates from the early 1900s, when heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson, who was black, seemed invincible and the term was used for any white opponent who might defeat him. It gained currency as the title of a Broadway play and later (1970) a film. By then it had been transferred to anyone of whom much was expected.

Great white hope Definition | Definition of Great white hope at Dictionary.com

you know, in looking at this, the wrong part was bolded....

so I fixed it and bolded the relevant part which is where the term comes from and why people have called the dear lady who used the phrase on it.

Oh boy! Do you really want to do a comparison between "done the spadework" and "great white hope"?

Do you? This could be really fun for me....

Just pointing out the double standards Bod.

I am amazed I even have to do so. But if a con had brought out the "spadework" comment, you would be in line bashing them.

:lol:

You know it and I know it.

I spent a great deal of time reading posts by CONSERVATIVES in many different threads saying that Hillary was a Racist for using a term that is used all the time in government and business. (totally interchangable with "done the leg work" and "done the ground work") THAT is what I know.

Now, explain to me the NON-racial aspect of the term "Great White Hope". I'm listening.

:lol: no you're not listening because it has been mentioned several times in this very thread. :lol:

Race had nothing to do with any of those three. In order:
Steele because he's a dork.
Rice because she's a liar.
Powell because he let himself get punked, and he was smart enough to know better.

oh really, then why the "Aunt Jemiama" "Uncle Tom" and "House *N*" and "token black" bullshit??? doyathink?

And the watermelon patch in place of the Rose Garden.......:eusa_whistle:

see? that's what they mean by "what goes around comes around" you libtards have earned every single ounce of disrespect that comes your way and then some.

clearly, it's a black day for the repubs.

Idioms & Phrases

great white hope

Something or someone that is expected to succeed. For example, Mark is the great white hope of the international division. This expression dates from the early 1900s, when heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson, who was black, seemed invincible and the term was used for any white opponent who might defeat him. It gained currency as the title of a Broadway play and later (1970) a film. By then it had been transferred to anyone of whom much was expected.

Great white hope Definition | Definition of Great white hope at Dictionary.com

you know, in looking at this, the wrong part was bolded....

so I fixed it and bolded the relevant part which is where the term comes from and why people have called the dear lady who used the phrase on it.

you know, i considered that and i agree that any 90-something year old that uses the phrase is probably a racist. otherwise, i'm gonna stick with the part i bolded which is that for almost half a century it has been commonly understood to mean "anyone of whom much was expected."

or are all the people calling her out:

a) too ignorant to know this?
b) over 90 ?
c) disingenuous?

i'm going with the fastest horse :lol:

Ohhhhh...The "white" thingy.

Which party is it that sees skin color first, again??

That is a stupid question. The thread identifys a Republican calling for a great white hope.

When Obama was running against Hillary no one was saying the great black hope.

PubliusInfinitum said:
I hate him because he's a low rent, inner city street agitator; a Muslim Communist determined to undermine national security, the American culture and to destroy the bonds which bind the principles of America's founding; those principles exressed in the US Declaration of Independence and the protections mandated by US CONSTITUTION of its' people, from it's government.

And I suppose you have actual proof of your sick allegations. If your kind of insane regurgitation is supposed to be our Constitutional option, the framers of that hallowed document are turning over in their graves.

All the conservatives are defending the statement. I would have some respect if one would say the statyement was inappropriate.
All politicians make inappropriate statements. How they react to mistatements says more than the statement.

What the people defending the statement are saying is they are racists.

I am sure most conservatives feel the statement was inappropriate. But too many justify it. That is the face of the Republican party. That is why many have an image of a racist party. That is not good when almost half of the electorate is non white.

All the conservatives are defending the statement. I would have some respect if one would say the statyement was inappropriate.
All politicians make inappropriate statements. How they react to mistatements says more than the statement.

I am sure most conservatives feel the statement was inappropriate. But too many justify it. That is the face of the Republican party. That is why many have an image of a racist party. That is not good when almost half of the electorate is non white.

whites don't do right yellow ain't mellow,, how damn high class can ye get doyathink?????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This guy did. Can't swear he's a conservative but he's close enough for government work.

Yes it is, but when we have idiots like her making dumb ass statements like that, it doesn't look good, and it certainly isn't the kind of statement that is going to attract minorities to the Republican Party. She should have just said we have some great young Aryian leaders out there. Stupid bitch.

I don't know if what she said was racist, but the fact that the three great white hopes that she named as possibles are white...:eusa_eh:

Anything out of Kansas, an interior 'K' state, is bunkum. Offense is intended with well wishes for normal people therein who wish to escape.

Dog whistle alert.

Last edited:

whites don't do right yellow ain't mellow,, how damn high class can ye get doyathink?????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not being a racist does not make you high class.

Being a racist makes you a big ass.

Not being a racist does not make you high class.

Being a racist makes you a big ass.

I know. That's why democwats have a jackazz for a mascot!

OK, so you're one of the Dems who believed that we deserved 9/11. Thanks for the Intel

So, defending the right of free speech = we deserved 9/11?

The "REAL" reason behind 9/11.

Iraq invaded Kuwait. Bin Laden wanted the Arab nations to "unify" and drive Saddam back to Iraq (which explains why they were NEVER friends). Instead, the Arab nations asked the US for help. Bin Laden was angry that Arabs turned their back on him (rabid you see) and because western troops were deployed aganst Arabs in Islamic Holy lands.

Those were the reasons Bin Laden attacked. NOT because the US did something wrong, but because he is an asshole and a religious extremist. Wright was right and wrong. First, he was right the attack was tied to US involvement in the Middle East, but he was wrong because we were asked to help drive back invaders and what we did there was correct.

The problems with Republicans is that you have to explain "everything" in very simple terms. Their little minds can only accept the concept of right and wrong. They are easily misled by people claiming to have "mystical" ties. They are colorblind. They only see "black or white" and Obama isn't the "white" color.

ABS

Thanks for clarifying your point that we deserved 9/11.

Rev. Wright must be so proud of you

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised that the Republicans don't know why Bin Laden attacked the US on 9/11. They yell out these "simple phrases", such as "They hate us for our freedom", then they show up at town halls and attempt to keep people from exercising free speech. That party is full of loonies and crazies.

I still don't understand why they wouldn't hold Bush accountable for letting go the greatest mass murdered in American history. Some even have the nerve to complain that Obama hasn't got Bin Laden even after Bush gave Bin Laden a six year head start (I don't think about him any more.)

So, defending the right of free speech = we deserved 9/11?

The "REAL" reason behind 9/11.

Iraq invaded Kuwait. Bin Laden wanted the Arab nations to "unify" and drive Saddam back to Iraq (which explains why they were NEVER friends). Instead, the Arab nations asked the US for help. Bin Laden was angry that Arabs turned their back on him (rabid you see) and because western troops were deployed aganst Arabs in Islamic Holy lands.

Those were the reasons Bin Laden attacked. NOT because the US did something wrong, but because he is an asshole and a religious extremist. Wright was right and wrong. First, he was right the attack was tied to US involvement in the Middle East, but he was wrong because we were asked to help drive back invaders and what we did there was correct.

The problems with Republicans is that you have to explain "everything" in very simple terms. Their little minds can only accept the concept of right and wrong. They are easily misled by people claiming to have "mystical" ties. They are colorblind. They only see "black or white" and Obama isn't the "white" color.

ABS

Thanks for clarifying your point that we deserved 9/11.

Rev. Wright must be so proud of you

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised that the Republicans don't know why Bin Laden attacked the US on 9/11. They yell out these "simple phrases", such as "They hate us for our freedom", then they show up at town halls and attempt to keep people from exercising free speech. That party is full of loonies and crazies.

I still don't understand why they wouldn't hold Bush accountable for letting go the greatest mass murdered in American history. Some even have the nerve to complain that Obama hasn't got Bin Laden even after Bush gave Bin Laden a six year head start (I don't think about him any more.)

Actually I blame Cheney. Rummy had binnie nailed down and Cheney didn't want the CIA and other assorted spooks to exceute and left them hanging so a lot of Rummy's advance men got killed for lack of reinforcements because Cheney wouldn't let DOD in to help. But most people don't know that. Not sure why, but they don't. Cheney's stalling made the whole thing blow up.

they've played that race card like a stake through a vampire's heart. I think America is officially puking sick of that "race" card. I think the day it happened was that prayer at the inaug.. "let's pray white will do right." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yellow will mellow, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: how classless can you get for god's sake?

Willow, please go get some hairball medicine and stop regurgitating nonsense here.

Forum List

Back