gop_jeff - AVENGER :)

tow7.jpg

taff said:
Nice pic.What is the main air defence kit you have now for looking after ground troops?
I'm not sure myself. The pic I posted is of a TOW Anti-Tank missile system. I was a TOW Section Leader when I got out.

taff said:
Nice pic.What is the main air defence kit you have now for looking after ground troops?

Stinger and Avenger are the two main ones in the US Army.

-=d=- was ADA, he can tell you all about it.

Very impressive. I remember you saying you was in the desert a while before the first gulf war started.Bet you never want to see sand again.

taff said:
Very impressive. I remember you saying you was in the desert a while before the first gulf war started.Bet you never want to see sand again.
lol - guess where I live?

Las Vegas!

usa132.jpg

taff said:
Very impressive.
Thanks but this is much more impressive:

War on Terror
Currahees Killed in Action​
Co Rank First MI Last KIA Date Location

C SSG Marshall H Caddy 11/16/2004 Khaladiyah, Iraq
D SSG Kyle A Eggers 12/05/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
D SFC Todd C Gibbs 12/07/2004 Khaladiyah, Iraq
C SSG Sean P Huey 11/11/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
B SSG Thor H Ingraham 05/08/2005 Khaladiyah, Iraq
B PFC Samuel S Lee 03/28/2005 Ar Ramadi, Iraq
B PFC Nicolas E Messmer 05/08/2005 Khaladiyah, Iraq
A PFC James E Prevete 10/10/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
C SPC Omead H Razani 08/27/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
B SPC Edwin W Roodhouse 12/05/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
B SSG Marvin L Trost, III 12/05/2004 Habbaniyah, Iraq
A 1LT Luke C Wullenwaber 11/16/2004 Khaladiyah, Iraq

taff said:
Brings it home when you see their names laid out like that.Terrible.
It sure does. The unit went from Korea to Iraq. Korea is a hardship (unaccompanied) tour and the guys in the 506th were stationed permanently on the DMZ and so received "Hardship Duty" pay also. A lot of the guys were just ending their one year tours in Korea when the entire unit was sent to Iraq.

I was stationed in the 506th a long time ago (1987/88) but I formed relationships while in that unit that are like none other during my time in the Army. We were the 1/9th Infantry (Light) when we were redesignated to the 1/506th (Air Assault). Did you ever see the HBO series "Band of Brothers"? That was based on the 506th during WWII.

The unit is rotating from Iraq later this month to Ft. Carson, CO. In August I am going to Ft. Carson with the President of the 506th Association and we are going to present to the unit a check to help the families of those killed and the soldiers injured. I have been work'n my butt off here in Vegas calling in favors and we have raised almost $10,000.

Once the unit gets to Ft. Carson, CO, they will be redesignated again and the 506th's Colors are moving to Ft. Campbell, KY where the unit will again see service in Iraq when the 101st rotates there later this year.

My last tour of Belfast in 93 was with the 9/12 lancers.We had 9 people taken out but not killed by home made coffee jars (IEDs) and 8 treated for shock (Myself included) for being to close to car bombs going of.Really pissed me of because i had dislocated my sholuder earlier in the day so all in all i had a shit day,

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
taff said:
My last tour of Belfast in 93 was with the 9/12 lancers.We had 9 people taken out but not killed by home made coffee jars (IEDs) and 8 treated for shock (Myself included) for being to close to car bombs going of.Really pissed me of because i had dislocated my sholuder earlier in the day so all in all i had a shit day,
Sounds like tough duty in of itself! Did you miss the first Gulf War? Didn't you once say during the GWI that you were part of the Desert Foxes?

Desert rats, yes.Most of the armoured units in northern Germany made up the 7th armoured corps which is known collectivly as the desert rats.
Funny you mention Band of Brothers.I drive through the Ardennes usualy once a month and you see signs for bastoigne off the main road.I always think of the series.

As the first gulf war started i had just finished as tour with the UN.But they needed BCRs in the Gulf(battle casualty reserves).Spent the entire Gulf war in the rear with the gear.Wasnt needed.Just based in an admin camp in Saudi.

Forum List

Back