GOP will paralyze Senate floor with reading of 1,924-page spending bill

Discussion in 'Congress' started by WillowTree, Dec 16, 2010.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,700
    Republicans will paralyze the Senate floor for 50 hours by forcing clerks to read every single paragraph of the 1,924-page, $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill.

Senate clerks are expected to read the massive bill in rotating shifts around the clock — taking breaks to drink water and pop throat lozenges — to keep legislative business on track, according to a Democratic leadership aide.

GOP will paralyze Senate floor with reading of 1,924-page spending bill - TheHill.com

Read every single solitary word of it. I don't care if it takes until Jan. 4th. Stay there and read it. Every word.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,773
    Anything to stop the suicide bomber Dems from blowing up the deficit even more.

3. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    GOP senators will vote against spending bill over earmarks -- theirs and others'

"Two prominent Republicans vowed Wednesday to vote against the $1.1 trillion spending bill, citing concerns over pork-laden pet projects, although millions of dollars of earmarks in the bill were requested by the two senators.
    Sen. John Cornyn of Texas has requested 54 earmarks worth more than $170 million and Sen. John Thune of South Dakota has made 43 requests totaling more than $165 million, according to an analysis by Taxpayers Against Earmarks, Taxpayers for Common Sense and WashingtonWatch.com, which collected data from disclosures on Congressional websites.
    When asked by Fox News to explain his earmarks, Cornyn said Wednesday, "I believe I can. But I'm not going to, because I'm going to vote against this bill. ... So I am for voting this bill down, even though it could arguably help some of my constituents."
    ABC's Jonathan Karl asked Cornyn at a press conference on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, "How do you have any credibility on this?" Cornyn replied, "because we're going to vote against the bill. ... This is the wrong way to do business."

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is known for sending millions of dollars to his home state of Kentucky.
    In the current spending bill, some of his earmarks include: $18 million for a Fort Knox railhead upgrade for the military, $2.5 million for health facilities at Western Kentucky University and $3 million to widen a road at Fort Campbell.
    See a map of states with the highest earmarks
    McConnell put in for those earmarks and then changed his mind on the bill. On Tuesday he said that it doesn't matter if they're in the bill because he is going to fight hard against the spending bill."

GOP senators will vote against spending bill over earmarks -- theirs and others' - CNN.com

so the GOP puts hundreds of millions of pork in the bill, but then all of a sudden condemns it because of the pork?
    and these are the people you want to trust with government? :cuckoo:

even your beloved fox news called them out and they didnt have an answer.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    Well at least it would mean some one had read this bill.Maybe it will give us an idea of what's in the thing before it's passed..Right Nancy?

5. Common Sense

Common Sense BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    i think it should be either the senator or the representatives responsibility to read every and understand every piece of legislation before voting on it.

how can you make an objective decision without doing so? if they arent doing their civic responsibility then why are they still there?

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,761
    I think All Bills should be read in full on the floor of both Houses during prime time viewing hours before any votes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Which is a big reason I stopped voting for incumbents.

8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    Simply more evidence the GOP has devolved into a new and dangerous form of anarchy.
    Mindful of the lad who denied the opportunity to play quarterback,n the immature and selfish child takes his ball and goes home.
    The New Right, Arrogant, Bigoted, Callous and always disgusting.

9. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957

Durn their hides, far better that this thing be passed unquestioningly, sans debate.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    No Wry, the Dem congress had a full year to do these simple spending bills, 12 of them. they are 3 months late and now want the lame duck session to cram them all together without anyone reading what they are voting for. That is what the American people voted against last month. Yet the entire left tries to deny that.