GOP: Why waste money building "infrastructure"?

It's a fact.

A Fact might be "We Build, You Tax".

Feel free to post the GOP plan for comprehensive infrastructure repair.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul offered President Barack Obama an alternative plan Thursday for making needed repairs to the nation's infrastructure, including replacing aging bridges like those along Kentucky's northern border.

Paul flew with Obama aboard Air Force One on Thursday afternoon to Cincinnati where the president focused attention on the aging Brent Spence bridge across the Ohio River and promoted his $447 billion jobs plan that includes money to repair bridges, highways and other infrastructure.

Obama's plan has received a cool reception from Republican leaders, including House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky whose states are connected by the double-decker Brent Spence Bridge that opened in 1963.

Paul said that's why he wanted to offer Obama his alternative proposal to prioritize road and bridge projects and to pay for them with an emergency bridge fund that would use money previously set aside for projects that Paul considers unnecessary.

"From my point of view, I think this is a smaller, more narrow proposal, and it stands a better chance than a broader proposal," Paul said after what he described as a "very cordial" discussion with the president.

"This bill truly is a way to begin doing this immediately," Paul said. "Everything else is completely grandstand. If the president agrees to help me with this, it could actually work. ... This actually would allow the highway administrator to prioritize bridge projects to immediately begin spending money on the ones that highway engineers say are deficient."

Paul's proposal would redirect funding for low-priority projects to make critically needed safety repairs to bridges like the Brent Spence between Kentucky and Ohio and Louisville's Sherman Minton Bridge across the Ohio River between Kentucky and Indiana.

The proposal calls for a nationwide priority list based on critical needs.

Read more: FRANKFORT, Ky.: Paul offers Obama alternative bridge repair plan | State | Kentucky.com

Still, Infrastructure Maintenance and Repair is more a State or Local Matter. Yes States do receive Federal Funding, and that is a part of the equation, but the burden does reside more at State and Local levels.

Last edited:
So what is "infrastructure"?

Building and maintaining:

Roads
schools
Post Office
prisons
bridges
highways
docks
rails
system that distributes:
water
gas
electricity
collects sewage

And that's just a few.

Imagine doing without these? What kind of America would be living in? Is this what Republicans mean when they talk about "going back"? A time before infrastructure?

Now imagine what infrastructure improvements could have been done with over a half a billion dollars that were, instead, pissed away on a 0bamafailure solar panel company...

Think about the 9 billion Republicans shipped off to Iraq never to be seen again. Think about the trillions in tax cuts that did nothing for the economy. Think about the trillions lost in a "votes for drugs" scam Republicans passed also through reconciliation. Yea. A lot to think about.

Think about the 9 billion Republicans shipped off to Iraq never to be seen again.

Iraqs money dufus.

So far as I am concerned this thread puts the sad truth on display.

The majority of Americans are just plain ignorant and undereducated. Basic economic coarses teach us that when you spend money on something like infastructure the money is not wasted, it is an investment. The value of that money doesnt just go away, it is transformed into tangible property that increases the living standards of the entire country.

Infastructure spending, when paid for and not borrowed, is one of the best things a government can do. It gives people jobs and increases standards of living for not only the current generations but generations to come.

images

Back in the 1860's - when the Republican Party formed - they actually requested a Federal Government spending to build a railroad to the pacific coast cause the states deemed it was necessary and beneficial. Yep, that's right - there used to be a Republican party that supported infrastructure spending without cuts in other areas.

Balance the Budget and We will talk. ;) Ever consider what James Madison considered General Welfare, or Hamilton up until the time he reversed Himself?

Imagine how much easier it would be to balance the budget if the American people had jobs? You would have fewer on unemployment, fewer on welfare and lots of revenue to work with.
But Republicans don't think along those lines. I can never understand why?

You've GOT to be kidding, right? This administration has done nothing but kill jobs in the Private Sector since they took power. Then you have the nerve to come here and make a statement like this? Yeah, actually it WOULD be easier to balance the budget if people had jobs! So why has the Obama Administration spent so much time passing legislation and enforcing regulations that put people out of work? Can you understand that?

A Fact might be "We Build, You Tax".

FRANKFORT, Ky. — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul offered President Barack Obama an alternative plan Thursday for making needed repairs to the nation's infrastructure, including replacing aging bridges like those along Kentucky's northern border.

Paul flew with Obama aboard Air Force One on Thursday afternoon to Cincinnati where the president focused attention on the aging Brent Spence bridge across the Ohio River and promoted his $447 billion jobs plan that includes money to repair bridges, highways and other infrastructure.

Obama's plan has received a cool reception from Republican leaders, including House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky whose states are connected by the double-decker Brent Spence Bridge that opened in 1963.

Paul said that's why he wanted to offer Obama his alternative proposal to prioritize road and bridge projects and to pay for them with an emergency bridge fund that would use money previously set aside for projects that Paul considers unnecessary.

"From my point of view, I think this is a smaller, more narrow proposal, and it stands a better chance than a broader proposal," Paul said after what he described as a "very cordial" discussion with the president.

"This bill truly is a way to begin doing this immediately," Paul said. "Everything else is completely grandstand. If the president agrees to help me with this, it could actually work. ... This actually would allow the highway administrator to prioritize bridge projects to immediately begin spending money on the ones that highway engineers say are deficient."

Paul's proposal would redirect funding for low-priority projects to make critically needed safety repairs to bridges like the Brent Spence between Kentucky and Ohio and Louisville's Sherman Minton Bridge across the Ohio River between Kentucky and Indiana.

Read more: FRANKFORT, Ky.: Paul offers Obama alternative bridge repair plan | State | Kentucky.com

Still, Infrastructure Maintenance and Repair is more a State or Local Matter. Yes States do receive Federal Funding, and that is a part of the equation, but the burden does reside more at State and Local levels.

That's not a comprehensive plan. That's a rob Peter to pay Paul plan.

That's not a comprehensive plan. That's a rob Peter to pay Paul plan.

so... redirecting from low priority projects into high priority projects is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Um... no. It's redirecting from low priority projects into high priority projects.

Maybe too, the Bidding Procedures for these projects should be more open and transparent. It's not always the most connected Contractor or the Lowest Bid that serves the interests best. Be it Roads, Sewers, Gas Lines, Electric, Phone, Cable Lines, the choice of materials, the upkeep. One size does not fit all. Centralized Planning may do more harm than good here.

Wait, wasn't the first $1,000,000,000,000 supposed to be for infrastructure?

Oh, but this round is really, really, really for infrastructure!

Wait, wasn't the first $1,000,000,000,000 supposed to be for infrastructure?

Oh, but this round is really, really, really for infrastructure!

I think the Widow's and Orphan's fund has priority.

P.S. The Poker game starts at 9:30, The Password is "Shovel Ready". :lol:

And they have to be maintained.

It's not a "set it, forget it" proposition.

It is also something that would be factored in to the operating expenses of Local Town, City, County, and State Budgets.

Well, if they weren't spending all their money on saving the milk lizard and free cell phones.

Which reminds me, I wanted to sign up for my free Cell Phone, free Internet, and a free Bicycle Helmet. Where do I do that again?

Republicans these days are so Anti-Government they have become Anti-America!

You feel that way because you are buying into the hype. People left Europe for a reason, don't lose sight of that. The Founding Principles are solid, and should not be abandoned, instead improved upon, made more inclusive. Unalienable Rights, Life Liberty, Property, Pursuit of Happiness come from an Authority higher than the will of any State. We are rooted in that.

America is not it's government. America is it's people. And any government that oppresses, puts down, and enslaves the American people rather than provide life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should be fought on behalf of the people.

Are you saying it's pro-American to support a government that operates outside the confines of the Constitution, that breaks the very law they've sworn to uphold? Hmm?

Lots of Republicans, Tea Partiers and pretty much all Libertarian are not anti-government, we're pro limited government...the very idea upon which this country was founded. To stand against that idea is what I'd call anti-American.

Forum List

Back