GOP war on the poor: Georgia

Are there nutters here who think that a man working 40 hours per week doesn't deserve to lead a middle class lifestyle? That a family with two parents working full time jobs are being unreasonable for expecting that they be able to feed their two children and keep them healthy.....and still have a few bucks left over to enjoy some leisure time?

I know hard working honest people who, in spite of all their diligence and hard work are broke and poor, because they failed to exercise good judgment.

They bought home they could not afford. They bought cars they could not afford. They went on vacations they could not afford.

Many of them are on food stamps and government assistance.

They get no pity or sympathy from me.

Conversely, I know working families who are broke and poor through no fault of their own. They lost jobs and had to downsize, or the jobs they have don't pay enough to live without some kind of public assistance. Property taxes went up, food prices went up, gasoline went up, healthcare and insurance went up, but their wages remained static for a long, long time or even went down or their hours got cut.

Any pity or sympathy for them, or is that just their tough luck? Where would they be without those food stamps or WIC?

Where were the poor people before there were foodstamps and welfare?

So you lie about there being a war on the poor and we are supposed to take anything you say seriously?

There is no war on the poor. In fact, we want the poor to lift themselves and their families out of poverity. This can only be done through hard work, thrift, industry, wise investment in oneself and in assets.

Maybe they can all pack up and move to New York, Chicago, San Francisco or some utopia liberal city or state.

They can take care of them

They could..... get a job.
Reality strikes! It's likely some have moved to more welfare friendly states, but it's more likely that people stripped from the welfare rolls have magically found alternate ways to support themselves.

As far as jobs shipped to China, they were the jobs unions killed with their insane demands.

Yeah...like the "insane demand" that a job ought to actually provide a living for the worker and his family.

What a radical concept!

No job is guarantied to provide a living for the worker and his family.

If the worker is only capable perform a job that does not pay enough to feed his large family, the worker should and must learn to be more capable or get another job.

Nothing radical about that. I lived it as a young immigrant who at first could not even speak English, worked at more than one job several times, never was on welfare, but once, for seven weeks on unemployment insurance, for which I paid, while employed.
I also moved several times to places where the jobs were. NOW, THAT is a radical concept!

So save the tears for your fellow liberal freeloaders.

Ive done the same.

I've moved twice to other State for jobs.

I have no sympathy for the poor. Most of em are in the situation they are in because they made poor life choices and we have a Govt that expects those of us who pay taxes to pay for them as well as ourselves.

Ain't no charity in the Constitution. Its just those Dem Clowns in Congress who keep the entitlements coming at taxpayer expenxe.

I might have trouble paying my bills but that EBT card will always have money in it. Your and my tax money.

Wonder what will happen when the takers outnumber the providers?? We are fast approaching that right now.

Maybe they can all pack up and move to New York, Chicago, San Francisco or some utopia liberal city or state.

They can take care of them

They could..... get a job.
Reality strikes! It's likely some have moved to more welfare friendly states, but it's more likely that people stripped from the welfare rolls have magically found alternate ways to support themselves.

oh I agree, I was being sarcastic with the op more than anything

So you lie about there being a war on the poor and we are supposed to take anything you say seriously?

There is no war on the poor. In fact, we want the poor to lift themselves and their families out of poverity. This can only be done through hard work, thrift, industry, wise investment in oneself and in assets.

Exactly! The only ones that benefit from keeping people poor are Democrats who pretend to want to fix them, but really give them just enough to keep them hooked on the opiate called welfare.

Really! What is the benefit to rich people of keeping potential customers poor?
Poor people don't buy yachts, new houses or Corvettes.
Total wealth is not finite, it is the sum of the value of all tangible assets.

This is the future the GOP would like to bring to all of America.

"...What's Georgia's secret? According to government documents, interviews with poor Georgians, and those who work with them, it's a simple one: Combine an all-Republican state government out to make a name for itself as tough on freeloaders; a state welfare commissioner so zealous about slashing the rolls that workers say she handed out Zero candy bars to emphasize her goal of zero welfare; and federal rules that, regardless of who's in the White House, give states the leeway to use the 1996 law's requirement for "work activities"—the same provision that Republicans have charged President Obama wants to unfairly water down—to slam the door in the face of the state's neediest...."

Georgia’s war against the poor: The southern state is emptying its welfare rolls at the same time that poverty is soaring. - Slate Magazine
More "War on whatever" bullshit.

Fact: More folks, especially women, are in poverty under this administration than ever in recent history.
Reflecting the lingering impact of the recession, the U.S. poverty rate from 2007-2010 has now risen faster than any three-year period since the early 1980s, when a crippling energy crisis amid government cutbacks contributed to inflation, spiraling interest rates and unemployment.

Measured by total numbers, the 46 million now living in poverty is the largest on record dating back to when the census began tracking poverty in 1959. Based on percentages, it tied the poverty level in 1993 and was the highest since 1983.​

Census: US poverty rate swells to nearly 1 in 6 - Yahoo! News

I'd ask you to pull your head out of your ass so that your brain could think for itself, but I really don't believe too many are capable of doing so at this point. America has been too dumbed down, by design.

does anyone in AMerica remember being poor? And, not running to the big government to be fed, clothed, housed, cell phoned, and paid in a check from de gubbmint? I do.

Yes, I do. But, I can't understand why you'd think that's a standard we should go back to.

Yeah...like the "insane demand" that a job ought to actually provide a living for the worker and his family.

What a radical concept!

If the worker is only capable perform a job that does not pay enough to feed his large family, the worker should and must learn to be more capable or get another job.

Nothing radical about that. I lived it as a young immigrant who at first could not even speak English, worked at more than one job several times, never was on welfare, but once, for seven weeks on unemployment insurance, for which I paid, while employed.
I also moved several times to places where the jobs were. NOW, THAT is a radical concept!

Being on welfare should be just as hard as described above.

Able to work and no kids? 4 hours cleaning streets/parks, 4 hours training at some skill.

Have young kids? 5 hour mandatorydaily classes on some skill, even basic housekeeping, and we watch the kid while you are at it.

Older kids? We provide basic daycare, you go to class or do #1 above.

I would be willing to pay for this, not handouts that have no downside.

So would I, so long as we also provide food, shelter and a wage along with that training. AND that a job is available at the end of it.

I know hard working honest people who, in spite of all their diligence and hard work are broke and poor, because they failed to exercise good judgment.

They bought home they could not afford. They bought cars they could not afford. They went on vacations they could not afford.

Many of them are on food stamps and government assistance.

They get no pity or sympathy from me.

Conversely, I know working families who are broke and poor through no fault of their own. They lost jobs and had to downsize, or the jobs they have don't pay enough to live without some kind of public assistance. Property taxes went up, food prices went up, gasoline went up, healthcare and insurance went up, but their wages remained static for a long, long time or even went down or their hours got cut.

Any pity or sympathy for them, or is that just their tough luck? Where would they be without those food stamps or WIC?

Out of sight and out of mind. Therefore...no problem, right?

Is Georgia providing them the means to do that? No. They're just simply shoving them out the door and saying, "Good luck!"

Is Georgia providing them the means to do that? No. They're just simply shoving them out the door and saying, "Good luck!"

Good. Prediction: Most of them will be just fine.

next...

Being on welfare should be just as hard as described above.

Able to work and no kids? 4 hours cleaning streets/parks, 4 hours training at some skill.

Have young kids? 5 hour mandatorydaily classes on some skill, even basic housekeeping, and we watch the kid while you are at it.

Older kids? We provide basic daycare, you go to class or do #1 above.

I would be willing to pay for this, not handouts that have no downside.

So would I, so long as we also provide food, shelter and a wage along with that training. AND that a job is available at the end of it.

No wage with the training if you get food and shelter. You get the basics only, and if you fuck around, then its time for 8 hour days picking up trash until you get the message. As for a guaranteed job that would be a strech. Everyone else goes out and hustles for work, these people should too.

We coddle people far too much on welfare and assitance nowadays.

What exactly do you think Georgia is required to do? Is the state supposed to work for them? Is the state supposed to endow them with integrity, humility, thrift, industry, dilligence and perserverance some how? Can you explain to me how they can do that?

The states job is to stay out of their lives and let them govern themselves. Is there any evience that they aren't doing that?

The same thing is happening to most peope. Inflation, due to govt. and federal reserve Keynesian ponzi scheme monetary and legislative policies is crippling the average american. You stop incurring debt. you pay off your current debt, you don't buy those items anymore, you take on a second job.

Go bitch to Ben Bernanke, congress and the last several presidents about it. It's their fault.

Out of sight and out of mind. Therefore...no problem, right?

When they realized that they had to depend on themselves, they helped themselves.

WOW, what a unique an totally un-liberal concept!

When one knows that depending on someone else is a shame, they are staying out of sight, because they will want to be out of mind.

No problem!

This is the future the GOP would like to bring to all of America.

"...What's Georgia's secret? According to government documents, interviews with poor Georgians, and those who work with them, it's a simple one: Combine an all-Republican state government out to make a name for itself as tough on freeloaders; a state welfare commissioner so zealous about slashing the rolls that workers say she handed out Zero candy bars to emphasize her goal of zero welfare; and federal rules that, regardless of who's in the White House, give states the leeway to use the 1996 law's requirement for "work activities"—the same provision that Republicans have charged President Obama wants to unfairly water down—to slam the door in the face of the state's neediest...."

Georgia’s war against the poor: The southern state is emptying its welfare rolls at the same time that poverty is soaring. - Slate Magazine

"War on the poor" is a pejorative liberals coined to refer to any cut in government spending. That's how their Alinskyite propaganda works. They coin an insulting term for policies that any normal person would agree with if they understood them properly. That's how "capitalism" came to be referred to as "trickle down."

As always when this subject comes up, the right's answer comes down to: "I got mine. Screw you."

The compassionate conservatism of the elder Bush has given way to a reckless selfishness, an intense grabbing for all the pile which their greasy hands can hold. Owing nothing to their fellow man, owing nothing to the country which gave them opportunity or to the society which sustains them, ignoring the assist they got from others, pretending they got here on their own, their position would drive America back to the 19th century when poor people literally starved to death and died young from disease.

Thank God a majority of American's rejected your myopic and self-centered view.

As always when this subject comes up, the right's answer comes down to: "I got mine. Screw you."

The compassionate conservatism of the elder Bush has given way to a reckless selfishness, an intense grabbing for all the pile which their greasy hands can hold. Owing nothing to their fellow man, owing nothing to the country which gave them opportunity or to the society which sustains them, ignoring the assist they got from others, pretending they got here on their own, their position would drive America back to the 19th century when poor people literally starved to death and died young from disease.

How is asking people to work for something or live under spartan condtions when being aided by MY tax dollars "I got mine, screw you?".

Its far more of a shame to coddle them and let them fester under the help of the state than maybe subject them to a little suffering in order to get them off thier asses and supporting themselves.

progressives have taken a safety net and turned it into a fishing net that traps people in it, because it is simple human nature for some people to just get along with handouts than to have to work for thier own well being.

We have to bring shame back to the equation. Shame of not being able to support yourself or your family without the help of daddy government.

If you have to set up straw men, your argument isnt that strong.

Forum List

Back