GOP wants to give our high tech jobs to foreigners

Last edited:
:lol:

You are really something else.

How can you spew this bullshit and live with yourself.

As someone who trained their own overseas replacement in 2000 I can speak for the downside of globalization however I believe that America just does not have the internal resources to compete going forward in the technology advanced future. If we don't import we don't compete. Decades of neglecting our education system has a price we will pay to catch up while we improve our education system. And if we don't improve it the price will only get higher. We import talent just like we import oil.

That's bullshit.

The problem is that no one wants to pay top line American engineers what they are worth. So many with the mathematical acumen either get MBAs are start their own businesses.

If this sort of crap continues..we are really going to gut our technolgical advantage.

Outsourcing coding was a very shitty idea.

Outsourcing code can be done well. Just look at the open source community.

Let me tell you a little story. I made it out of high school, (just barely, had to take a summer course to finish up), joined the Army for the college money, after four years got out and started at a community college (four year schools would not accept me based on my high transcript, got money from G.I. Bill, grants, and loans, a job for some of it), got a two year degree in mathematics (requirements were screwed up so it was the fastest path to a degree), got accepted at UMass, BU, Northeastern, and Tufts (all with very nice financial aid packages, UMass the best, BU the worst), went to Tufts (for one the campus is absolutely beautiful, it was also rated 25th top liberal arts school in the country, and I was very impressed when I toured the computer science facility). So anyway I manage to land a job as a T.A. for comp 101, being a transfer and first year there being T.A. is not common. So I am standing in front of about a dozen of the best and the brightest this country has too offer. Kids with families who have given them the best education and the best resources their whole lives. Kids who probably could have chosen from a wide range of schools and picked Tufts. I was suppose to go over the topic currently covered in class, recursion or something like that. So I present it one way. Blanks stares. I come at it another way. Still blank stares. I start dropping hints. One after another. I finally stop to try to figure out what the Hell is going on here. I think I said this out loud, "You're just waiting for me to give you the answer, aren't you?" Nothing against Tufts. I am sure it is the same across the country. So we want to put 'tariffs' on talent from other countries because companies don't have problems where you can sit back and wait for the answer? I'm sorry but we don't have the talent now, or in the pipeline, for a brave new world. If we don't import we don't thrive.

Asswipe, if the US needs more workers....it is better to have doctors, engineers, etc comin to the US compared to morons that will end up in the welfare line once they lose their Burger King job.

You can always count on the GOP to support ANYTHING which hurts American working people.

Now, they want to ease visa restrictions to allow more foreigners to come here and take our high tech jobs. After spending decades helping to ship our lower tech jobs to China, now they want to give away our high tech jobs as well.

House Republicans plan vote on expanding science, tech visas - Political Watch - MarketWatch

Oh, sure...they call it some kind of "immigration reform," but it's actually a jobs for immigrants program which Mitt Romney had in his campaign platform and the House intends to deliver it anyhow.

I'm an immigrant to this country. I can tell you it is an enormous pain to immigrate here.

We need talented people to come to America. Something like half of all Ph.D.s in the sciences and math in American schools were born outside the country. But the Little Americans who think we have to protect ourselves from the Big Bad Outsiders by banning talent from this country think its a good thing. Let these smart and talented people go somewhere else.

It's bizarre. It's like banning really good football players from playing on your team.

A very non-Republican friend of mine runs an IT department at a non-profit. He has a hard time attracting good people.

Instead of importing more cheap labor, how about we spend some tax dollars to re-train unemployed and under-employed American's to fill those jobs first?

The GOP says that's unjustified government spending, that it adds to the deficit, that it's a form of welfare. What do you say?

No need. We already have plenty of well-trained citizens who can do these jobs.

The only spending that has to be done is to scrap the H-1B program completely. That little scam is good for the balance sheets of the largest tech companies, and bad for everyone else.

Forum List

Back