GOP Voter Suppression Plan: Seven Tactics To Block Your Vote in 2012

Of course it exists. Voter fraud exists too.

Neither are as important or frequent as either side makes it out to be.

Yes, voter suppression does exist - and wingnuts are trying to make it large-scale.

As for voter fraud, I've never seen or read anything that shows it's anything but small-scale.

Yes, voter suppression does exist - and wingnuts are trying to make it large-scale.

As for voter fraud, I've never seen or read anything that shows it's anything but small-scale.

If it makes you feel better to think of it as a conspiracy, feel free.

But I think it's just as stupid as the righties who think there's a massive conspiracy against them at every turn.

Voter ID laws are skirmishes on the electoral battlefield, not game-changers.

But I think it's just as stupid as the righties who think there's a massive conspiracy against them at every turn.

Really? I think Al Gore might disagree...

the Left must think they're going to lose in 2012 if they're already coming up with excuses.

What does the 2000 Florida situation have to do with voter ID laws or "voter suppression"?

The Ole Alteredworld website sure has it all figured out..

Maybe we can just use mind control to keep people from going out and voting..

Last edited:
the Left must think they're going to lose in 2012 if they're already coming up with excuses.

If that was true, wouldn't these threads imply that "The Right" must think they're going to lose also, if they're already coming up with excuses?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/196501-2012-massive-voter-fraud-hypothetical.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/196777-obamas-ties-with-voter-fraud.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/197739-obama-democrat-voter-fraud.html

If that was true, wouldn't these threads imply that "The Right" must think they're going to lose also, if they're already coming up with excuses?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/196501-2012-massive-voter-fraud-hypothetical.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/197739-obama-democrat-voter-fraud.html

The left thinking they're going to lose and the right thinking they're going to lose are not mutually exclusive events.

What does the 2000 Florida situation have to do with voter ID laws or "voter suppression"?

There were many reports of widescale voter suppression in the Florida 2000 election. Then came Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris for the final coup de grâce...

The left thinking they're going to lose and the right thinking they're going to lose are not mutually exclusive events.

Touche.

The OP discusses "actual" events taking place in "actual" states to restrict voting rights. Therefore, those planning to vote in those "actual" states should be aware of new voting laws and make plans accordingly to make sure their vote is allowed and counted.

By Steven Rosenfeld / Alternet

If you live in a state where voting is becoming tougher, plan ahead to register, to get the right ID and to know where you can vote.

If you are a member of a racial minority, student or young voter, working poor, elderly or disabled, your ability to vote may be a lot harder in 2012—especially if you live in states that have a history of racial repression during the Civil Rights Movement. Simply put, the Republican Party knows which segments of society helped to elect President Obama and other Democrats in 2008, knows tens of millions of these people did not vote in the 2010 midterms, and has worked very hard to stop these people from voting again next year.

Their strategy has been simple: raise the barriers by complicating the rules to register to vote, to get a ballot, to vote early, or speedily. What follows are seven major trends that will affect you if you live in a state with new rules. Republicans know that most people do not pay attention to the fine print of election law. They get excited in the final days before presidential votes. But that may not be good enough in 2012.

Whether you are encouraged, discouraged or something in between about the coming presidential season, if you want to vote, look at these trends described below, see if you live in one of these states, and plan ahead: to register, to get the right ID, and to know where you can vote. If you don’t, the Republicans may silence your vote and voice.

Tactic One: Toughen Voter ID Requirements

Tactic Two: Create Hurdles To Get Required ID

Tactic Three: Intimidate Voter Registration Groups

Tactic Four: Try To Eliminate Same-Day Registration

Tactic Five: Curtail Early Voting

Tactic Six: Ban Felons From Voting

Tactic Seven: Bleed Election Administration Budgets

Much More: GOP Voter Suppression Plan: Seven Tactics To Block Your Vote in 2012 | News & Politics | AlterNet
You left out one:

Ban Dead People From Voting

I still find it highly amusing that the left thinks that the only people who would be negatively affected by voter ID laws... are the left.

I guess they think their own kind are too lazy or stupid to get the proper ID ahead of time, properly register, and actually go to the polling place.

To some extent, you're right. It's a numbers thing. High voter turnout helps Democrats. Low voter turnout helps Republicans.

Don't for a second think that the overwhelming support of voter ID laws from the right is coming from anything other than that too, though.

They know a lot of legal, likely Dem voters won't have the proper ID.
Why wouldn't they?

The OP discusses "actual" events taking place in "actual" states to restrict voting rights. Therefore, those planning to vote in those "actual" states should be aware of new voting laws and make plans accordingly to make sure their vote is allowed and counted.

oh brother..

I'd say our bigger problems is VOTER FRAUD..mainly by the Democrat party..

Last edited:
Yeah, just keep thinking that...

You honestly think you're going to get the youth vote to turn out again like the did for Obama in 2008? You think the independents are going to go heavy for Obama like they did in 2008? Sorry, buddy...but Barack ran out of new ideas to fix things about a year and a half ago. He's pushing the class warfare thing hard because he's well and truely screwed if he has to defend his economic record or explain his "plan" to fix the economy going forward.

Please re-read the thread title. I don't care who votes - as long as everyone eligible and wanting to vote is allowed to vote - without having to suffer voter suppression from wingnuts.
I hope you're including both sides in that.

If you live in a state where voting is becoming tougher, plan ahead to register, to get the right ID and to know where you can vote.

If you are a member of a racial minority, student or young voter, working poor, elderly or disabled, your ability to vote may be a lot harder in 2012—especially if you live in states that have a history of racial repression during the Civil Rights Movement. Simply put, the Republican Party knows which segments of society helped to elect President Obama and other Democrats in 2008, knows tens of millions of these people did not vote in the 2010 midterms, and has worked very hard to stop these people from voting again next year.

Their strategy has been simple: raise the barriers by complicating the rules to register to vote, to get a ballot, to vote early, or speedily. What follows are seven major trends that will affect you if you live in a state with new rules. Republicans know that most people do not pay attention to the fine print of election law. They get excited in the final days before presidential votes. But that may not be good enough in 2012.

Whether you are encouraged, discouraged or something in between about the coming presidential season, if you want to vote, look at these trends described below, see if you live in one of these states, and plan ahead: to register, to get the right ID, and to know where you can vote. If you don’t, the Republicans may silence your vote and voice.

Much More: GOP Voter Suppression Plan: Seven Tactics To Block Your Vote in 2012 | News & Politics | AlterNet
erick holder droped the charges against the 2 black panthers threatening voters !!

awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg

erick holder droped the charges against the 2 black panthers threatening voters !!

Really...?

Bush DOJ decided New Black Panthers no major case | Cynthia Tucker

Forum List

Back