gop to filibuster scotus nominee

I never said the GOP doesn't filibuster. It does, and even holds the record for the longest filibuster. But it has always made a policy of not filibustering Supreme Court nominees, and I see no reason to sit around, working everyone into a froth speculating over them suddenly growing a pair and becoming confrontational over something they've never been confrontational over before.

In fact, wasn't it true that when the Dems tried it for the first time against President Bush, that doing so was the first time either party had attempted to block a Supreme Court nominee with a filibuster?

And the point you're trying to make by mentioning that the Democrats only recently started this shoddy behavior would be . . . what? You want me to give them brownie points because they USED to be good boys?

My point still stands. Being outraged by something you assume someone is going to do sometime in the future, the planning of which you don't even have evidence for, is moronic.

I must say Cecilie, that I disagree with you regarding the GOP not attempting it this time around and your reasons, but that doesn't mean that I am right in my beliefs that they will do so. Truthfully, I expect them to squawk about the whole thing as I expected the Dems to do then.

You've already said you disagree with me, and I've already said you don't have a single shred of evidence for doing so, and for some odd reason, you seem to think that telling me AGAIN that you disagree will take the place of explaining any basis for doing so.

Obstructionists was a hard word to use against the Dems when they tried it.

Yeah, but it was accurate. The truth doesn't have to be nice. It just has to be true.

I wouldn't even be surprised if someone went back to my postings from that time and found one or two times that I used it. But, I think having been on these sites, I've grown up a little bit since then so I would not expect to do it again nor to bitch and moan that the President is exercising his right to nominate whomever he chooses.

Don't care what you said before. Not relevant. We're just discussing current outrage at vague, unsubstantiated assumptions as to what the GOP might do sometime in the future. Which is still stupid.

As for the GOP growing a pair, I don't think we have that to look forward to anytime in the near future.

Immie

Don't recall suggesting they would. I believe I was the one pointing out that they wouldn't, which is a really good reason to believe all this outrage is froth over nothing.

I'd be fascinated if you could cite me the last time the GOP did any of that during a Supreme Court nomination. I seem to remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg going through Congress rather peacefully.

Oh, pundits and commentators will certainly say that stuff, and rightfully so, but the GOP in Congress? Puhleeze.

No one has said that the Republicans filibustered a Supreme Court nomination in the past.

Bullypulpit:

It's not an accusation...it's a fact. Congressional Republicans are a bunch of obstructionist weenies.

manu1959:

each side has done it in the past......this isn't new behaviour.....

Yurt:

are you actually denying that both sides have done this?

Awful lot of "no ones" spouting off until I called them on it. And if you're now going to try to give me the "Oh, well, the thread's about filibustering Supreme Court nominees, but I wasn't talking about THAT, I was talking about OTHER filibusters" crap, don't even bother. You all tried to bullshit, you got nailed, you're backtracking. End of story.

What has been said, and the point YOU'RE missing, is that it's outrageous that the GOP is going to do something they've never done before, or ever shown an inclination to do, and haven't even suggested they were going to do this time, based solely on "the Democrats acted like assholes, so we expect EVERYONE to act like assholes, and boy, we really hope the GOP is as badly behaved as the Democrats, because we SOOOO want to be outraged, and we're pissed off right now at our unfounded belief that they're going to do this".

Yeah, the GOP called them nasty names . . . justifiably. And I'm still calling you on where you get off believing "the tables will be turned". Based on what? It sure isn't past performance.

Also, I'm not only speaking of Congress, but those of us here on these kinds of boards, radio/tv personalities (I'm actually looking forward to hearing what Rush and Sean have to say on this!), Congress, The President himself etc. Everyone will reverse their roles this year. It will actually be kind of funny to play Rush during the Democrat Filibusters followed by Rush Today.

Oh, really? This is a thread about filibustering Supreme Court nominees, but you're not talking just about Congress? Who else, pray tell, has the ability to filibuster anyone or anything? Last time I checked, the people on this board, the people in the media, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and the President don't have any say in filibusters.

And it's only going to be funny to play Rush during the Democrat filibusters if the GOP filibuster. Same question you still can't answer: on what basis do you assume they would even try? What's really funny is how you admit your assumptions are full of shit, and still cling to them and insist on discussing them as fact.

That is what I am trying to say here.

Republicans won't even hint of a filibuster this time around because they know it is a lost cause, but the rumblings will be evident. At least I believe they will be.

Immie

Actually, they won't hint at a filibuster because they don't filibuster Supreme Court nominees, and you have a hell of a goddamned nerve sitting there, insisting that you "know" they really want to, and just aren't because of all these other reasons. Who are you, Miss Cleo? You can read minds and tell that THIS time, out of all the times they haven't filibustered, it's because they can't, not because they don't believe in it?

I just love how the Democrats get defended for the bad things they do, and the GOP gets excoriated for the bad things idiots assume they secretly want to do. Very even-handed.

Oh really?

I defend Democrats? Where the hell have you been? Give me a frigging break. The Republicans are no different than the Democrats.

When are you going to quit worshipping at the RNC idol?

Whatever they can do, be it filibuster or whatever to make this nominee look bad to the American people they will do.

They are no better than the Democrats and not any different.

They will be bitching and moaning about this nominee being further left than Ted Kennedy the second his or her name is mentioned and you know it.

This thread has not been about the GOP filibustering the nominees. If you tried to read the opening post you would see that it is ALL about the hypocrisy of both sides of the aisle. Here is the opening post that you obviously did not understand:

obstructionist bastards...........

Obama joins filibuster bid against Alito: But senator criticizes tactic, says it will fail. | Article from Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) | HighBeam Research

Jan. 30--WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama said he would vote Monday to filibuster Judge Samuel Alito's confirmation to the Supreme Court, but he conceded the effort would be futile and criticized Democrats for failing to persuade Americans to take notice of the court's changing ideological face.

"The Democrats have to do a much better job in making their case on these issues," Obama (D-Ill.) said Sunday on ABC News' "This Week." "These last-minute efforts--using procedural maneuvers inside the Beltway--I think has been the wrong way of going about it."

Obviously you do not understand that this thread never was about the GOP filibustering the nominee, but rather that Barack Obama was one of those "obstructionists" and that as soon as he nominates anyone for that job and the first time a Republican or a conservative opens his mouth about the nominee and the President accuses the Republican of being an obstructionists which he will do the roles will be reversed. It is bound to happen.

Tell me you don't honestly believe that Republicans are going to get behind this nominee like sheep!

Immie

My point still stands. Being outraged by something you assume someone is going to do sometime in the future, the planning of which you don't even have evidence for, is moronic.

Funny, I don't recall having said I was outraged. I'm not even upset about it. I'm simply pointing out that both sides are hypocrites.

It doesn't bother me if the Republicans do attempt to filibuster the nominee. In the long run, it won't change a thing. I would, however, find it ironic if President Obama stands up after his nominee is berated as being further left than Ted Kennedy and calls conservatives obstructionist or whatever else he decides to call them. Also, it will be ironic if Rush Limbaugh stands up and declares that conservatives should fight to the bitter end to stop this nominee by all means possible including a filibuster.

I cannot understand, why you can't figure out that this whole thread has not been about there being a filibuster. It is about how the Democrats will flip flop the first time someone speaks out against the President's nominee.

And don't even try to give my that bullshit... "The title of the thread is 'gop to filibuster scotus nominee'''. Thread titles are rarely accurate to what the discussion is about. Even, manu, who started the thread stated that it was about the hypocrisy of the Democrats if they say anything at all about a Republican attempt to stop the nomination.

Immie

Last edited:
Frankly Cecilie if they don't this country is likely in a lot of trouble ninety- percent of the liberal do gooder crap that's screwing the country up now is happening because of leftist judicial appointees. The only good thing is that the worst of the lot seem to have problems with taxes which while didn't keep Geiotner the tax cheat out of treasury it has prevent a lot of leftist judicial nominees from getting a seat on the bench.

Frankly Cecilie if they don't this country is likely in a lot of trouble ninety- percent of the liberal do gooder crap that's screwing the country up now is happening because of leftist judicial appointees. The only good thing is that the worst of the lot seem to have problems with taxes which while didn't keep Geiotner the tax cheat out of treasury it has prevent a lot of leftist judicial nominees from getting a seat on the bench.

LOL. OK, just go on believing that silly crap. By 2011, you can state that the state of the nation has something to do with the present liberal administration. For now, we are still dealing with the shit left by the previous administration.

Which was also pretty much the same leftist clap trap that Obama is givng us more of - much more of.

Forum List

Back