gop to filibuster scotus nominee

A story from January 30th, 2006? ... :confused:

the story is about obma and company trying to obstruct a bush nominee.....shortly the tables will be turned and everyone will cry foul and lament how evil the gop is....

politics is the best soap opera on tv.....

Yeah, except the GOP (gay old party) is limping by with one leg.

I can't wait until the senator from Maine defects as well. She's really darn close.

And then we'll not only have a solid 60, but we'll kick ol' Lieberman to the curb.

Maybe you guys should run Shirley Temple for president. She's a Republican and believe it or not, she's still alive.

A story from January 30th, 2006? ... :confused:

the story is about obma and company trying to obstruct a bush nominee.....shortly the tables will be turned and everyone will cry foul and lament how evil the gop is....

Yeah, except the GOP (gay old party) is limping by with one leg.

I can't wait until the senator from Maine defects as well. She's really darn close.

And then we'll not only have a solid 60, but we'll kick ol' Lieberman to the curb.

Maybe you guys should run Shirley Temple for president. She's a Republican and believe it or not, she's still alive.

not a republican or a democrat......i enjoy watching the hunter become the hunted every few years......

Actually, they won't have a chance to. Franken will be in by that time and the Repugnanticans won't be able to filibuster anyone.

you're missing the point....dems have already accused the republicans of being obstructionist....manu is simply pointing out the inherent hypocrisy of politics

It's not an accusation...it's a fact. Congressional Republicans are a bunch of obstructionist weenies.

^lol^ @ moron

so obama saying he would obstruct, is of course not obstructionist because he has a D by his name...

See, I read your opening line, and then searched your post in vain for any evidence supporting your assertion. To date, I'm still waiting for that evidence.

i am predicting the future and using the past to show how history will repeat itself but the two parties will switch posistions......

And I'm summarily rejecting your fortune-telling premise. Show me any reason to believe they will behave like Democrats, and THEN I will debate their behavior. Until then, I'm debating your premise.

i imagine they will be playing the part of the obstructions dems and the dems will be playing the part of the gop and calling for a non partisan up or down vote.....

That's a pretty good prediction. That "hypocrite" belt is big enough to fit around both parties.

the game has rules.....each side trys to claim the moral high ground while they both stand in a ditch full of manure.....

There, fixed it for you. ;)

Immie

obstructionist bastards...........

Obama joins filibuster bid against Alito: But senator criticizes tactic, says it will fail. | Article from Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) | HighBeam Research

Jan. 30--WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama said he would vote Monday to filibuster Judge Samuel Alito's confirmation to the Supreme Court, but he conceded the effort would be futile and criticized Democrats for failing to persuade Americans to take notice of the court's changing ideological face.

"The Democrats have to do a much better job in making their case on these issues," Obama (D-Ill.) said Sunday on ABC News' "This Week." "These last-minute efforts--using procedural maneuvers inside the Beltway--I think has been the wrong way of going about it."

:lol:

Gosh...the GOP about shat itself blind when the Democrats threatened to filibuster Chimpy McPresident's judicial nominees. Seems they don't like being reduced to playing the minority role. Fuck 'em, they brought it on themselves.

Funny how some people can't see Democrat hypocrisy when it crawls up their own pants leg, but scream themselves hoarse over Republican hypocrisy that hasn't even happened yet.

Call me when they ACTUALLY filibuster, rather than when someone simply assumes they're going to.

See, I read your opening line, and then searched your post in vain for any evidence supporting your assertion. To date, I'm still waiting for that evidence.

i am predicting the future and using the past to show how history will repeat itself but the two parties will switch posistions......

And I'm summarily rejecting your fortune-telling premise. Show me any reason to believe they will behave like Democrats, and THEN I will debate their behavior. Until then, I'm debating your premise.

each side has done it in the past......this isn't new behaviour.....

Actually, they won't have a chance to. Franken will be in by that time and the Repugnanticans won't be able to filibuster anyone.

you're missing the point....dems have already accused the republicans of being obstructionist....manu is simply pointing out the inherent hypocrisy of politics

It's not an accusation...it's a fact. Congressional Republicans are a bunch of obstructionist weenies.

::continuing to look for the still-missing evidence::

The Republicans are not going to try to fillubuster this nomination. Frankly, I don't think the Republicans have ever been as "bad" about doing that when it comes to judicial nominations as the Democrats have been to begin with. And they're certainly not going to do that now. They will make statements, etc. But they're not going to try to fillibuster.

so what is your point iriemon?

Is that like saying: "and ..."?

Where's all our GOP friends pushing for an up/down vote now?

i imagine they will be playing the part of the obstructions dems and the dems will be playing the part of the gop and calling for a non partisan up or down vote.....

I imagine a day when I will win the Powerball lottery. I don't, however, present it in a thread as an accomplished fact and expect people to debate around it as though it has already happened.

each side has done it in the past......this isn't new behaviour.....

Please cite me the last time the GOP filibustered a Supreme Court nominee.

The Republicans are not going to try to fillubuster this nomination. Frankly, I don't think the Republicans have ever been as "bad" about doing that when it comes to judicial nominations as the Democrats have been to begin with. And they're certainly not going to do that now. They will make statements, etc. But they're not going to try to fillibuster.

The GOP has many problems and faults. Most of them stem from not having a complete, functioning set of testicles amongst the entire party. Which is why it's very silly to expect them to commit bad behavior that requires one not to be a craven, sniveling coward.

In this case, doesn't matter who Obama appoints, won't change the composition of the SCOTUS. Neither will a likely appointment for Ginsburg. Stephens is up there in years, but again, a liberal for the most part. If any of the 5 go out, all bets off.

are you actually denying that both sides have done this?

If you're insisting the GOP has filibustered a Supreme Court nominee, it should be easy for you to cite me the nominee's name and the date it happened. Please do so now.

They won't try to filibuster, because they know they can't hold it. They will, however, pander to their base.

We'll hear a lot about how the majority is suppressing the rights of the minority. How, they are being mistreated and ignored. How the Democrats are abusing their power to push the most liberal judge in America on the people. How the country is going to hell in a hand basket, because the President has nominated someone who will legislate from the bench and reinterpret the Constitution rather than uphold it.

It ought to be quite interesting.

Maybe we should pull up some soundbites (maybe from Youtube) and so that we can all laugh at how things have changed since Bush was President... Republicans condemning Democrats then and Democrats condemning Republicans today. It would be funny to see.

Immie

If you're insisting the GOP has filibustered a Supreme Court nominee, it should be easy for you to cite me the nominee's name and the date it happened. Please do so now.

i don't believe they have....they have been on a filibuster binge so it wouldn't suprise me....but as someone pointed out they don't have the votes.......

anyway the point of this thread was to predict the behaviour of the dems ..... but you knew that and wanted to divert the discussion.....

They won't try to filibuster, because they know they can't hold it. They will, however, pander to their base.

We'll hear a lot about how the majority is suppressing the rights of the minority. How, they are being mistreated and ignored. How the Democrats are abusing their power to push the most liberal judge in America on the people. How the country is going to hell in a hand basket, because the President has nominated someone who will legislate from the bench and reinterpret the Constitution rather than uphold it.

Maybe we should pull up some soundbites (maybe from Youtube) and so that we can all laugh at how things have changed since Bush was President... Republicans condemning Democrats then and Democrats condemning Republicans today. It would be funny to see.

Immie

I'd be fascinated if you could cite me the last time the GOP did any of that during a Supreme Court nomination. I seem to remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg going through Congress rather peacefully.

Oh, pundits and commentators will certainly say that stuff, and rightfully so, but the GOP in Congress? Puhleeze.

Immie

I'd be fascinated if you could cite me the last time the GOP did any of that during a Supreme Court nomination. I seem to remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg going through Congress rather peacefully.

Oh, pundits and commentators will certainly say that stuff, and rightfully so, but the GOP in Congress? Puhleeze.

No one has said that the Republicans filibustered a Supreme Court nomination in the past. What has been said, and I think you are missing the point of the discussion is that when President Bush gave us his nominees and the Democrats played their obstructionist game, the Republicans called them all kinds of nasty names. The tables will, I believe, be turned this time around.

Also, I'm not only speaking of Congress, but those of us here on these kinds of boards, radio/tv personalities (I'm actually looking forward to hearing what Rush and Sean have to say on this!), Congress, The President himself etc. Everyone will reverse their roles this year. It will actually be kind of funny to play Rush during the Democrat Filibusters followed by Rush Today.

That is what I am trying to say here.

Republicans won't even hint of a filibuster this time around because they know it is a lost cause, but the rumblings will be evident. At least I believe they will be.

Immie

i don't believe they have....they have been on a filibuster binge so it wouldn't suprise me....but as someone pointed out they don't have the votes.......

anyway the point of this thread was to predict the behaviour of the dems ..... but you knew that and wanted to divert the discussion.....

:clap2:

New Topics

Forum List

Back