“GOP to Detroit: Drop Dead!”

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Sometimes you just have to admire Pat Buchanan

But why this “Let-them-eat-cake!” coldness toward U.S. auto companies? General Motors employs more workers than all these foreign plants combined. And, unlike Mitsubishi, General Motors didn’t bomb Pearl Harbor.

Do these Southern senators understand why the foreign automakers suddenly up and decided to build plants in the United States?
It was the economic nationalism of Ronald Reagan.

When an icon of American industry, Harley-Davidson, was being run out of business by cutthroat Japanese dumping of big bikes to kill the “Harley Hog,” Reagan slapped 50 percent tariffs on their motorcycles and imposed quotas on imported Japanese cars. Message to Tokyo. If you folks want to keep selling cars here, start building them here.

Fear of Reaganism brought those foreign automakers, lickety-split, to America’s shores, not any love of Southern cooking.

Do the Republicans not yet understand how they lost the New Majority coalition that gave them three landslides and five victories in six presidential races from 1968 to 1988? Do they not know why the Reagan Democrats in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan are going home?
The Republican Party gave their jobs away!

How? By telling U.S. manufacturers they could shut plants here, get rid of their U.S. workers, build factories in Mexico, Asia or China, and ship their products back, free of charge.

Republican globalists gave U.S. manufacturers every incentive to go abroad and take their jobs with them, the jobs of Middle America.
The American Conservative » The Toyota Republicans

So the next time a neo nut tells me that the economy is not the Republicans fault I can tell them:

a. fuck off
b. Republican globalists gave U.S. manufacturers every incentive to go abroad and take their jobs with them, the jobs of Middle America.
c. both a & b

So the next time a neo nut tells me that the economy is not the Republicans fault I can tell them:

a. fuck off
b. Republican globalists gave U.S. manufacturers every incentive to go abroad and take their jobs with them, the jobs of Middle America.
c. both a & b

That's good bobo--It's important to have someone to blame for all your problems. It makes life so much easier.

That's good bobo--It's important to have someone to blame for all your problems. It makes life so much easier.

Who do you blame for your 401K getting cut in half?

What did you do to cause your home value to go down?

Whose fault is it that Republicans lost so many seats?

Answer me those 3 questions please.

Is the Republican Party so fanatic in its ideology that, rather than sin against a commandment of Milton Friedman, it is willing to see America written forever out of this fantastic market, let millions of jobs vanish and write off the industrial Midwest?

So it would seem. “Companies fail every day, and others take their place,” said Sen. Richard Shelby on “Face the Nation.”

In today’s world, America faces nationalistic trade rivals who manipulate currencies, employ nontariff barriers, subsidize their manufacturers, rebate value-added taxes on exports to us and impose value-added taxes on imports from us, all to capture our markets and kill our great companies. And we have a Republican Party blissfully ignorant that we live in a world of us or them. It doesn’t even know who “us” is.

Presumably, the companies that will “take their place,” when GM, Ford and Chrysler die, are German, Japanese or Korean, like the ones lured into Shelby’s state of Alabama, with the bait of subsidies free-market Republicans are supposed to abhor.

In 1993, Alabama put together a $258 million package to bring a Mercedes plant in. In 1999, Honda was offered $158 million to build a plant there. In 2002, Alabama won a Hyundai plant by offering a $252 million subsidy.

Apparently the GOP is okay with using taxpayer dollars to offer subsidy's for the foreign automakers.. Free market hypocrisy?

Last edited:

a. fuck off
c. both a & b
Yep. You can also tell them Republicans ... ... and their stupid little games just so fucking suck.

To my knowledge Republicans didn't force Detroit to produce shittly little cars that fall apart before you can pay for them. To my knowledge Republicans didn't force the labor unions to strike deals to increase salaries and benefits to the point it adds two or three thousand dollars to the price of a car. Nope, to my knowledge Republicans did not make Detroit uncompetitive in the global market. Nope. Unions and Detroit did this all by themselves.. they just like to blame Republicans cause then they have someone to hate on. Kerry On!

I'll still buy Toyota every single time.

In 1999 Toyota and GM had the same balance sheets. Toyota invested in the Prius engine and GM invested in the hummer! Bummer!

a. fuck off
c. both a & b

Sealy, the DEMOCRAPS IN POWER are no less responsbile from FREE TRADE than the Republicans.

In fact it was the REPUBLICANS who held out the longest in opposition to that foolish anti-American policy.

But when the Republican LEADERSHIp signed onto FREE TRADE, they did it with zeal bordering on nation-busting insanity.

AS to the bailout of the banks?

ALSO a BIPARTISAN decision.

You folks might as well face it.

The people in control of both parties are in bed together.

Pat Buchanan is as out of favor with the insiders of the Republican Party as Dennis Kucinich is out of step with the insiders of the Democratic party, folks.

Why?

Because they are essantially both saying the same damned things, that's why.

Hmm.. That sucking sound of U.S jobs disappearing? Let's recall the bill passed by Bill Clinton and his then Democrat controlled House and Senate. They called it NAFTA.

The American Conservative - About Us

...We believe conservatism to be the most natural political tendency, rooted in man’s taste for the familiar, for family, for faith in God....

Against it, we take our stand.

–The Editors

:eek:

Hmm.. That sucking sound of U.S jobs disappearing? Let's recall the bill passed by Bill Clinton and his then Democrat controlled House and Senate. They called it NAFTA.

I'm not bloody likely to forget it.

Sometimes you just have to admire Pat Buchanan

The American Conservative » The Toyota Republicans

What a total nut. You want Americans to buy cars from GM, Ford or Chrysler? Insist they make better cars. (That's why people buy foreign because of quality.) You want to keep jobs in America? Lower punitive taxation on corporations and don't let the Unions bully you into sending jobs elsewhere.

george h w bush signed the NAFTA, fast track agreement with canada and mexico before his term was up...clinton, as promised in his run for presidency, yet against the majority of the democrats in congress, followed thru with this signed agreement, and signed the NAFTA treaty out of congress, sealing the ghwbush agreement with these other 2 nations....shortly after wards he began reforming NAFTA with other legislation, is what i read?

care

Now lets be honest. Which party wants to fix NAFTA so that it isn't hurting the middle class?

The GOP mocked Obama for saying he would undo or fix NAFTA.

So yes Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, but who's protecting/defending it now? The GOP. Who wants another agreement only this time with Columbia? The GOP.

And which party 2 or 3 years ago let Mexican truckers into America as a test run? It was on Memorial Day or Labor Day. The truckers union protested and I think the GOP gave up on trying to push that much that fast.

And which party did the Union vote out of office? Are you suggesting they are stupid and voted for the wrong party?

With all the news we have seen over the past 8 years, we know who fucked us.

Yes, I didn't vote for Hillary because Bill Clinton went along with too much of the GOP agenda. I didn't see Hillary as change.

And what year was NAFTA passed? 1993? The GOP had 15 years to fix it and instead they made it worse with their tax breaks to companies leaving the USA.

And who started NAFTA? HW Bush

NAFTA was initially promoted by politicians in the United States and Canada supportive of free trade, led by Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, and Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari.

U.S. House of Representatives passed NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by 234-200 vote (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor; 43 Republicans, 156 Democrats, and 1 independent against),[13] and the U.S. Senate passed it on the last day of its 1993 session, November 20, 1993, by 61-38 vote (34 Republicans and 27 Democrats voting in favor; 10 Republicans and 28 Democrats against, with 1 Democrat opponent not voting -- Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND), an ardent foe of NAFTA, missed the vote because of an illness in his family).[14]

Forum List

Back