GOP threatens Dems: If you try reconciliation, we’ll go nuclear with amendments

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Hot Air Blog Archive GOP threatens Dems: If you try reconciliation, we’ll go nuclear with amendments; Breaking from NYT: Dems “slam the brakes” on ObamaCare

The GOP Senate leadership has privately settled on a strategy to derail health reform if Dems try to pass the Senate bill with a fix through reconciliation, aides say: Unleash an endless stream of amendments designed to stall for time and to force Dems to take untenable votes…
Senator Judd Gregg is getting some attention today because he vowed to make it an “extraordinarily difficult exercise” for Dems to pass the Senate bill through the House while getting the Senate to fix the bill with a “sidecar” through reconciliation…
[T]here’s no limit on the number of amendments GOPers can offer, [a Republican] aide said, or on their subject matter. A senior Democratic aide confirmed that this is the case — and that it’s a concern weighing on Dems.
“If you bring a reconciliation bill to the Senate, it’s a free for all of amendments,” the GOP aide said, cautioning that this was only part of the overall strategy. “There is no way to limit the number of amendments that are voted on. You can’t close debate. Democrats will have to vote on every politically perilous amendment that you can possibly think of.”

Time for Dems to face reality, Barrycare is dead.

As unfortunate as it is for families who are having trouble affording coverage... Obamacare was a really horrible plan, doing virtually NOTHING to bring down the actual costs of coverage and treatment. Worse, it was an offense to our Constitution and our future budgets.

My initial impulse was to hope that they'd go back to the drawing board and start anew, but frankly, I think it's crystal clear that this particular Congress, the Reid/Pelosi Congress which brought us Porkulus :eek:, cannot be trusted to handle any important legislation. It would be better to wait a year and see what we have after the November election.

There are pundits saying that Congress should turn its attention to the economy and jobs, and on the surface, with unemployment being what it is, that sounds like a good idea. Here's the fly in the ointment though... What exactly has THIS Congress done which would lead us to believe they'd even be capable of good legislation??? :eusa_eh:

These people have fucked up everything they touched. They're incapable of working together, incapable of upholding their oaths to the Constitution, incapable of prioritizing the country over their respective parties. It's readily apparent that ALL they care about is political positioning... getting a "win" like it's some kind of game, instead of making legislation that will affect the lives of EVERY American.

Fuck 'em. They need to be replaced. THEN, we can take another look at legislative initiatives.

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind if prospective candidates are also members of a national party. But, this is the LAST I ever want to see of politicians whose allegiance to party outweighs their oaths to the Constitution, or whose personal ambitions are prioritized over the wishes of their constituents. I might disagree with John McCain about alot of things, but not with his campaign slogan of "Country First".

We need people who will prioritize the needs of the nation and who will do that within the framework of Limited Government that our Constitution authorizes. If they're also working through the lens of their core party principles.... that's okay. Good even, if you're a conservative. ;) But on the whole, they need to put away their childish toys and do the JOB they've been elected to do.

I hope to God the Dums go nuclear........best thing that could happen to this country = non-21%ers turn the page on liberal public policy for at least a generation!!! Only the 21%ers dont understand this dynamic. The GOP will be able to run Boob McNutt in 2012 FTW!!

As unfortunate as it is for families who are having trouble affording coverage... Obamacare was a really horrible plan, doing virtually NOTHING to bring down the actual costs of coverage and treatment. Worse, it was an offense to our Constitution and our future budgets.

My initial impulse was to hope that they'd go back to the drawing board and start anew, but frankly, I think it's crystal clear that this particular Congress, the Reid/Pelosi Congress which brought us Porkulus :eek:, cannot be trusted to handle any important legislation. It would be better to wait a year and see what we have after the November election.

There are pundits saying that Congress should turn its attention to the economy and jobs, and on the surface, with unemployment being what it is, that sounds like a good idea. Here's the fly in the ointment though... What exactly has THIS Congress done which would lead us to believe they'd even be capable of good legislation??? :eusa_eh:

These people have fucked up everything they touched. They're incapable of working together, incapable of upholding their oaths to the Constitution, incapable of prioritizing the country over their respective parties. It's readily apparent that ALL they care about is political positioning... getting a "win" like it's some kind of game, instead of making legislation that will affect the lives of EVERY American.

Fuck 'em. They need to be replaced. THEN, we can take another look at legislative initiatives.

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind if prospective candidates are also members of a national party. But, this is the LAST I ever want to see of politicians whose allegiance to party outweighs their oaths to the Constitution, or whose personal ambitions are prioritized over the wishes of their constituents. I might disagree with John McCain about alot of things, but not with his campaign slogan of "Country First".

We need people who will prioritize the needs of the nation and who will do that within the framework of Limited Government that our Constitution authorizes. If they're also working through the lens of their core party principles.... that's okay. Good even, if you're a conservative. ;) But on the whole, they need to put away their childish toys and do the JOB they've been elected to do.

Exactly.

And the fact that all the lunatics who insist that there's no coverage for a huge number of Americans completely ignores the fact that there IS coverage. A family of three can make around $4000 a month and have their health insurance subsidized (and I mean HUGELY subsidized) and if they make anything less than that, they can get full coverage for all their kids and any pregnant female in the household.

They can get Medicaid for the entire family if they are truly destitute. If the primary wage earner was ineligible for unemployment, then THAT individual is ineligible, but the rest of the family can still get coverage.

Moral of the story...if you have a job don't no-call no-show, dumbfucks, or you might find yourself without money or health care. But only for yourself. We don't punish the rest of the family for the fact that the primary wage earner is a loser.

Also, the health coverage for the kids lasts for a year. So if you get coverage for your kids when your income is relatively low, then go out and get a good job that pays $5000 a month, guess what? The kids' coverage is protected. And if YOU have medicaid and get a job which DQs you when your coverage period is up, you are eligible for EXTENDED medical benefits as an incentive to go back to work. We have lots of people who get medical, then go back to work, and are able to maintain their medicaid or OHP for an entire year, EVEN if they have insurance through their work.

We HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THE WORKING POOR, people. It's there. The only people who are struggling with health care are the middle class people who make more than enough to purchase insurance on their own. It might mean they need to trade their $500 a month vehicle down for a less expensive car, but this is the problem the people who are screeching about no insurance have...they insist on hanging onto those expensive cars that cost them a fucking fortune, using credit cards like they're going out of style, buy into houses they can't afford, then expect the government to pay for their health insurance.

And the truth remains completely ignored. Forget the tin foil hats, the idiots who insist there's no health care for the poor are wearing lead ones.

O is decimating his party. Several are behind in double digits for the upcoming midterms. It'll be interesting to see how many fall on the sword for this guy. I'd suspect the ones who want to keep their jobs will be running away from reconciliation as if it were the plague.

We HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THE WORKING POOR, people. It's there.

Bullshit. There is absolutely such thing as affordable health care NOR health insurance. Show me a link where my brother, a sous chef, who makes $12 an hour (which is well above minimum wage, is it not?) can afford health insurance or health care beyond a basic clinic. Most restaurants only offer health insurance to management, you know...I (and he) would love to know. Oh yeah, it doesn't exist. Last I checked, it costs upwards of $300 a month for a shitty, bare bones policy if you buy it on your own. Even I couldn't afford that, and I'm considered middle class-soon to be lower class. If my employer didn't offer matched health care benefits, I wouldn't be able to afford insurance NOR health care, either and that's a fact.

Last edited:
remember the good ole days when you silly right wing fuckers "just wanted a vote on the issue" in congress without all the silly little politiking?

Oh how times a change, eh you silly fucking right wingers?

:lol:

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, it doesn't exist. Last I checked, it costs upwards of $300 a month for a shitty, bare bones policy

There's people out there that spend more than that on a FUCKING CELL PHONE. BUT OH MY GOD... CAN'T SPEND ANY MONEY ON MY HEALTH CARE!!! You progressives are all the same.

Bullshit. There is absolutely such thing as affordable health care NOR health insurance. Show me a link where my brother, a sous chef, who makes $12 an hour (which is well above minimum wage, is it not?) can afford health insurance or health care beyond a basic clinic. Most restaurants only offer health insurance to management, you know...I (and he) would love to know. Oh yeah, it doesn't exist. Last I checked, it costs upwards of $300 a month for a shitty, bare bones policy if you buy it on your own. Even I couldn't afford that, and I'm considered middle class-soon to be lower class. If my employer didn't offer matched health care benefits, I wouldn't be able to afford insurance NOR health care, either and that's a fact.

How he or you can afford health care???

Funny... I can find basic plans for people... and those are fine...

And here's a little hint, if you need more money to pay for something for your own personal upkeep..... GET A SECOND OR THIRD JOB TO PAY FOR IT.... advance your skills to become more in demand....

Hell.. You can work in a Sheets MiniMart for more than 12/hr... Sheetz, Inc. Shift Supervisor Job Listing in Leesburg, VA | 1191342 | SnagAJob.com (And they offer bennies)... You can bar-tend or wait tables for more than that

Affordable Health Insurance - How To Buy Private Health Insurance

remember the good ole days when you silly right wing fuckers "just wanted a vote on the issue" in congress without all the silly little politiking?

And the leaching progressive chimes in...

What??? A progressive WORK???????? No, they want YOU to work so they can sit on their ass all day and WHINE.

Funny... I can find basic plans for people... and those are fine...

Basic plans for $300 are rediculous and you know it. I refuse to work 2 or 3 jobs on top of my full time job in order to be able to afford to go to the doctor when I need to. That is not a life.

Employer doesn't have health insurance? Find a different employer. Can't afford top tier insurance? Make more money.

Don't sit back and expect others to pay for it for you.

So, my brother should give up a career he loves because you neocons who lick the arses of the health insurance industry have decided that he's not worthy of health insurance. Nice. So what is the cut-off. $70K a year is what you need to make in order to afford health insurance on your own? Isn't the average salary in America $40K?

Oh, and my cell phone plan is around $75 a month and it's my only phone. I don't own a car and take public transit everywhere. I live in Brooklyn to save money and take my lunch to work. REAL extravagant, I am.

Employer doesn't have health insurance? Find a different employer.

Most restaurants don't offer health insurance unless you're management. In fact, many entry-level jobs don't. You also don't get a break on health insurance if you are:

1. Free-lance
2. A contract employee
3. Own your own business
4. Working retail (except for management)

That's a lot of people who can't afford health insurance.

So, my brother should give up a career he loves because you neocons who lick the arses of the health insurance industry have decided that he's not worthy of health insurance. Nice. So what is the cut-off. $70K a year is what you need to make in order to afford health insurance on your own? Isn't the average salary in America $40K?

Oh, and my cell phone plan is around $75 a month and it's my only phone. I don't own a car and take public transit everywhere. I live in Brooklyn to save money and take my lunch to work. REAL extravagant, I am.

Nobody is saying he or you should give up the jobs you like... only that when you exercise the FREEDOM to do so, you need to stop bitching that you are not earning what you would like to and stop bitching about whether you can pay for your own personal upkeep

If your want of insurance is great enough, there are ways you can get it and pay for it

But nice try

Oh.... and you show your ignorance by the improper use of the term 'neocon' yet again.... you are indeed an ignorant fuck... try looking up what a neocon actually is, instead of just trying to lump anyone against your stances as a 'neocon' because it sounds nice and derogatory to you

Employer doesn't have health insurance? Find a different employer.

Most restaurants don't offer health insurance unless you're management. In fact, many entry-level jobs don't. You also don't get a break on health insurance if you are:

1. Free-lance
2. A contract employee
3. Own your own business
4. Working retail (except for management)

That's a lot of people who can't afford health insurance.

And what they earn and what they allegedly can or can not afford is everyone else's responsibility except for their own

:rolleyes:
Cuckoo

Forum List

Back