GOP support a raise in taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Skynet, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Skynet

Skynet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Two top Republican lawmakers said Wednesday they don't support extending a payroll tax cut as a way to stimulate the economy -an idea the White House is weighing– because they don't believe it helped create jobs and that money is needed to shore up Social Security and Medicare.

- Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee, and Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas

GOP lawmakers say no to a payroll tax cut extension – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

uh oh! you mean tax cuts dont stimulate the economy?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    I don't support tax cuts, and I am a staunch conservative

I say raise the taxes on everyone on every dollar earned to be the exact same as the very top rate.... but somehow, with everyone having an equal stake in the game of taxation on every dollar earned.. I think you would see an extreme call for lower taxation and reduced government spending

3. Skynet

Skynet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    im actually in favor of a flat tax as well. no free loaders and no one taking advantage of the system. although i disagree with making it the top rate. i say we make it a reasonable 20-25% for all. no deductions or tax credits.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Fine... a 20% flat rate... but I suggest the top rate so the freeloaders and entitlement junkies can feel the same pain they wish to impose on the 'evil rich'

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    IN theory it sounds viable..

However...

1)Housing value will plummet as there wqill be no tax advantage to having a mortgage..and as a result, rent prices will increase as well
    2)Donations to philanthropic organizations will plummet
    3)Investment into lower developed communities will become extinct with the elimination of LIHTC (Section 42)....resulting in an increase in undesireable areas.

That is just the tip of the iceberg

6. Skynet

Skynet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    the issue i have with the top rate is that last year my effective tax rate was close to 30% as a single male. while many of the "top tax bracket" people paid less than 20%. theres too many deductions and loops hole for the upper tax bracket. just make it a flat reasonable rate. then if the fed wants to raise taxes, they will need a 75% vote, and it can be raised by a maximum of 1% for 2 years at a time before it reverts. if you wanted to keep the rate at the higher rate, you would again need a 75% majority.

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    eliminate all deductions... that is a bullshit part of our tax system as well...

And the argument that charity will drop?? I don't think that should ever be a reason to justify unequal treatment by government, Jarhead... sorry

8. Skynet

Skynet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    mortgages wont plummet, owning a home in the long run is still a better option than renting.

donations wont plummet, your just shifting the burden from the government to the individual, and if the individual has more $, then its up to him to decided how to use it.

the ghetto will always be the ghetto, until people start educating themselves more and raising their income levels which lead to a better quality of life for all.

9. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    I don't think a graduated tax system constitutes 'unequal treatment;' after all, every person is subject to the same tax code, and high earners pay the same on their lower scale earnings as anyone else. I pay 35% of everything in excess of $379,150 - Of course in my case that's 35% of zero.

If a person's entire earnings were taxed at the higher rate once you break the threshold (which perhaps some of you think they are... Divey did :)), perhaps you'd have a case.

I do agree we shouldn't be protecting charity via the tax code however, especially since so many 'Non-profit organizations' are at best only tentatively so.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    I hope these guys get kicked out of office the next election cycle. Tax increases are too easy. Serious Social Security reform is needed now, otherwise we'll just prolong the inevitable again.