GOP superdelegates: It's over, Romney is nominee

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DaGoose, Apr 7, 2012.

1. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    GOP superdelegates: It's over, Romney is nominee - Yahoo! News

So it looks like the GOP tree is done being shaken and Mitt Romney is now considered the top man for the job of toppling President Obama.

The GOP dug deep and has decided that Mitt Romney best fits who they are as a party and best represents the conservative voters.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. RightWingFerret

RightWingFerret BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Something to keep in mind, regardless of who Romney chooses for VP, odds are he will jump another 4/5/6 points in the poll against Obama. Although alot of republicans/conservatives aren't 100% thrilled over Romney, they will most likely be very happy to see either McDonnell or Ryan as VP. Whomever is VP will be seen as future President. Just like if Rubio is VP, we can plan on seeing Rubio win in 2016 (assuming Romney passes the torch, he will probably retire by then).......lets just wait and see what happens, but hope Romney doesn't wait too long to choose,,,

3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,064
    Ummm, not really.

Usually, they announce the Veep Pick around the convention, and teh nominee gets a slight bump because that's all people talk about for a while, and that's when folks most seriously consider it.

For instance, when McCain picked Palin, he got a slight boost up, but quickly sank down again by the end of September.

I should also point out that only two sitting Vice Presidents have gotten elected in their own right in our entire history. Martin Van Buren and George H. Bush.

More to the point, I just don't see any Veep pick that is going to resolve Romney's major problems. - Weird religion, weaselly flip-flopping, slimy business practices, dog torture.

Getting down to cases -

Rubio- Thin resume, has a foreclosure and a bankruptcy in his file. Also lied about his parents and why they left Cuba. Palin with a Tan. Nominating a Cuban-American is not going to help Romney with Mexican-Americans, which is where he'll need the help in swing states.

McConnell- A non-starter after he got hip deep in the whole trans-vaginal ultrasound controversy.

Ryan- Are you kidding? Seriously? Now, I repsect the fact that Ryan is one of the few guys who is talking openly about what we are going to need to do to get solvent, but that just about opens the door to the "He wants to starve granny" commercials Obama wants to run so badly.

4. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Romney is a republican through and through.

there just are not enough fiscal and Constitutional conservatives to push the agenda.

this will be Clintons 6th term.

5. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Rubio isn't interested, but it sure would be great to see democrats attacking him because he's hisipanic. Palin was easy because women are easily led against women, hispanics not so much.

6. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Nobody would need to attack him for his race. They would attack him for his awful policy choices...like the Rubio/Blunt amendment.

Being Hispanic wouldn't help him or Romney....he's Cuban (and if you don't think that matters, you haven't been paying attention)

I hope he picks the zombie eyed granny starver...

7. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Even more tellingly, Walter Mondale briefly pulled ahead of Ronald Reagan in the polls after the 1984 Democratic Convention.

I remember the Palin boost. I remember that it was almost all attributable to a surge in support from older women, which lasted until Palin opened her mouth.

8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,538
    Up to some months ago, I did not think that a Mormon could be the nominee of a party, much less the social jerkoff far right religious conservatives' candidate. Maybe world peace is possible.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,064
    Romney is the nominee fully on the basis of Blue State delegates from states he has no real chance of carrying in November. That just shows the flaw in the system that allows a guy with only 37% support to become the nominee.

He's going to lose to Obama and lose badly.

Where you been, Jakey, I missed you, man!

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,538
    Hi, JoeB/caaaammmmpppppbeeeellllll! How you doing? Romney has an uphill battle, for sure. I remember when you said he could not get the nomination, and you were working your social libertarian butt off for everybody but Romney. Any of the others -- particularly Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum would not have gotten 41% of the general vote. So time will tell about Romney.