GOP stares down Obama; Obama blinks. GOP wins.

The gop was threatening a filibuster on both unemployment benefits and tax cuts for all Americans. They could have allowed the tax cuts to sunset but Democrats wanted an UB extension.

Sorry, all of America now knows why the wealthy are getting tax cuts from the gop.

All the Dems had to do was convince, what, 3 GOP senators to go along with them? But it was not the GOP, it was Dems themselves that have had enough of Obama/Pelosi/Reid and their radical agenda.

keep repeating yourself... you still don't know what you're talking about.

F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R

it doesn't get to the floor without 60 votes.

want to try to recalculate?

that said, he should have made the rightwingnuts look like what they are instead of giving in without so much as a pretense at a fight.

Dumb broad. All they had to do was convince 3 GOP senators to go along with them and there could be no filibuster. How hard is that? Snowe, Collins, McCain, Hagel--all of them have a history of voting with the Dums.
But nice to see you are all in favor of bipartisanship and working for the good of the country.
Loon. :cuckoo:

Dear fucking asshole, they could not convince any of YOUR republicans to do what was right.

They all just wanted to do NOTHING but get tax cuts for the wealthy.

Deflection. Evasion.
If you're concerned about deficits, why weren't you screaming when Obama was spending trillions on waste and fraud.
There is no such thing as "well spent" when it comes to the government.

Its not me whose been telling people that stimulus money was a mistake, its been you.

It is also not me who claimed that extending taxbreaks would be good for the economy, either.

I was bitching about the fact that those tax breaks were being paid for by borrowing money, however.

So let me ask you again...are you happy that in order for us to give unemplyment cecks we have to borrow still more money?

I can tell you that I am happy that we've extended unemployment even though I am not happy that we've got to borrow to do so.

And are you satisfied that we will ALSO be borrowing more money so that billionaires can continue not to pay those additional taxes?

Simply questions, really.

Why won't you answer them, Rab?

A simple yes or no will do, but naturally I hope that you'll amplify your answers with explanations for why you feel that way, too.

Jesus for the last time cuts cost nothing, spending is the cost. Freakin tax braks, my only concern is that congress gets to keep spending a billion a year on perks.

BTW the cuts should go forward to force the governments hand in spending. Just think whether dems or repubs lead. The deficit will remain about a trillion a year.

Yahoo a countdown to collapse.

I'll reiterate here: There are no "tax cuts." Maintaining the current rate is not cutting taxes. It is not raising taxes. You might as well say we have to pay for the higher tax rates because they were short of full confiscation.

They had to include gop tax cuts for the rich in order to get Dem unemployment benefits and a lousy 2% tax cut for middle America.

That is how this deal will be perceived and really, perception is everything.

In this case perception happens, I think, to mirror reality.

Obama faced either cutting off unemployment, and not extrending on tax breaks for billionaires, or folding to help out nearly 2,000,000 American families whose suffering would have started THIS MONTH.

And that needs to be played up come next election cycle....makes one wonder who fell into who's trap politically.

Memo: This was used by the Dems in the last election. You see the result.
Yes, by all means play the class warfare card in 2012. It'll be President Palin for sure.

maybe you are not aware of what most Americans think aboout these tax cuts for the wealthy

Unemployment Benefits are meant to run out. You're not supposed to be on Unemployment forever. There is a limit. 2yrs. is enough time to have found a job. I've heard all the excuses,but 2yrs. really is enough time. Extending these Unemployment Benefits is going to cost Billions & Billions In Tax Dollars. I'm not sure these Tax Cuts will mean much at the end of the day. The spending is still way out of control. This deal will likely be a Net-Loss for Americans in the end. But hey,the People supposedly wanted Bipartisanship. Well here's your Bipartisanship. Enjoy.

My quick assessment: Too Little Too Late.

A two year extension is not long enough to instill sufficient business confidence to expand payrolls; and the inflationary impact of the Fed's monetary policy (for the first holiday season in history, gasoline is expected to be above $3 nationwide) will gobble up the lower taxes and/or consumers will use the taxes to save or pay off debts.

Four legs are needed for economic recover:

- Low and fair taxes
- Decreased spending to match tax receipts
- Sound monetary policy
- Rule of law with regulations within the law

A two year extension is not long enough to instill sufficient business confidence to expand payrolls; and the inflationary impact of the Fed's monetary policy (for the first holiday season in history, gasoline is expected to be above $3 nationwide) will gobble up the lower taxes and/or consumers will use the taxes to save or pay off debts.

- Low and fair taxes
- Sound monetary policy
While I agree, the alternative to not passing the extension would have been worse. The average family would lose about $500/mo. That's a lot.

maybe you are not aware of what most Americans think aboout these tax cuts for the wealthy

Maybe you are not aware of what most Americans thought of the Democratic Party in the last election.

TM is not aware that the majority of Americans are not fooled by the class warfare spin which equates a marketing director married to a nurse in a major metro area with Warren Buffett.

- Low and fair taxes
- Sound monetary policy
While I agree, the alternative to not passing the extension would have been worse. The average family would lose about $500/mo. That's a lot.

It's a step in the right direction. But it is not a full solution to the economic morass.

- Low and fair taxes
- Sound monetary policy

It's a step in the right direction. But it is not a full solution to the economic morass.

No. I agree. A full solution would involve things that the present administraiton would never do. Reducing regulations and making the regulatory regime more business friendly would be a huge step. But that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

So they arrived at a compromise, did they?

The rich won, the unemployed won and Obama lost?

Seems to me if you're truly somebody who is really a fiscal conservative that believes the national debt is a problem, then it's America which really lost.

Where were you complaining about the national debt when Obama was spending trillions on stimulus programs that have obviously failed?

You're evading the issue, lad.

Remember that I think that stimulus money welll spent IS a good idea.

Recall that most of my objections to OBAMA have to do with how badly that stimulus money was spent.... not that it WAS spent

It YOU who objects to all stimulus programs based on your POV about macro-economics.

So this compromise ought to piss you off on TWO fronts IF you're truly concerned with the national debt.

Are you truly concerned about that national debt?

almost nobody gives a rats ass about the deficits.

Not the dems, not the GOP, not the teatards.

I bet the deficit reduction subcommittee is spitting up blood this morning. We have taken a step away from deficit reduction and there will be no return until we default.

Esp with this issue poised to be front and center in the 2012 election.

Shame on everybody who participated, everybody who cheers and more shame on those who cheered while they pretend to give a shit about the deficit.

Unemployment Benefits are meant to run out. You're not supposed to be on Unemployment forever. There is a limit. 2yrs. is enough time to have found a job. I've heard all the excuses,but 2yrs. really is enough time. Extending these Unemployment Benefits is going to cost Billions & Billions In Tax Dollars. I'm not sure these Tax Cuts will mean much at the end of the day. The spending is still way out of control. This deal will likely be a Net-Loss for Americans in the end. But hey,the People supposedly wanted Bipartisanship. Well here's your Bipartisanship. Enjoy.

it was 99 weeks, they added 15 months to it. Totaling about 3 years. This nation is in terminal decline. Both parties are destroying the economy and catering to illegals to maintain their grip on power.

Dumb broad. All they had to do was convince 3 GOP senators to go along with them and there could be no filibuster. How hard is that? Snowe, Collins, McCain, Hagel--all of them have a history of voting with the Dums.
But nice to see you are all in favor of bipartisanship and working for the good of the country.
Loon. :cuckoo:

i am neither dumb, nor a 'broad', nutbar.

bi-partisanship? what bi-partisanship?

what did mitch mcconnell give up?

what are you loons going to say in 2012 when the deficit has exploded because you refuse to tax rich people?

and don't say they create jobs... if that were the case, those jobs would have been created over the last 10 years. rightwingnut :cuckoo:

So they arrived at a compromise, did they?

The rich won, the unemployed won and Obama lost?

Seems to me if you're truly somebody who is really a fiscal conservative that believes the national debt is a problem, then it's America which really lost.

Big time.

But this sort of thing is like a football game to conservatives. No matter the real world consequences.

I know why President Obama went along with this. He really wanted to help people. But it was the complete and unmitigated wrong thing to do at the wrong time.

Okie dokie all you rich fuckers out there, lets see that job creation machinery startup and get everyone back to work, in these United States I mean, not the third world.

If unemployement doesn't drop to 6% or below in the next three month you will be considered failures.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back