GOP stares down Obama; Obama blinks. GOP wins.

The gop was threatening a filibuster on both unemployment benefits and tax cuts for all Americans. They could have allowed the tax cuts to sunset but Democrats wanted an UB extension.

Sorry, all of America now knows why the wealthy are getting tax cuts from the gop.

clearly he has no concept of how things get to a vote in congress.

still and all, obama should at least have tried to hit them in the face like they deserve....

same as any other schoolyard bullies.

He should hit them but it just isn't him. He'd rather try and work together.

why would anyone work with people who perceive working with them as weakness?

Um, the Dems still control Congress and teh White House. They didnt have to compromise with anyone. It was Democrats who forced this.

The gop was threatening a filibuster on both unemployment benefits and tax cuts for all Americans. They could have allowed the tax cuts to sunset but Democrats wanted an UB extension.

Sorry, all of America now knows why the wealthy are getting tax cuts from the gop.

All the Dems had to do was convince, what, 3 GOP senators to go along with them? But it was not the GOP, it was Dems themselves that have had enough of Obama/Pelosi/Reid and their radical agenda.

keep repeating yourself... you still don't know what you're talking about.

F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R

it doesn't get to the floor without 60 votes.

want to try to recalculate?

that said, he should have made the rightwingnuts look like what they are instead of giving in without so much as a pretense at a fight.

Last edited:
I was watching the news last night when the "Breaking News" flashers went up on Fox, CNN, MSNBC.

President Obama was about to announce the big news regarding the Bush tax cuts. You know, the tax cuts that were only for the "rich", but which also cut taxes for the middle class. Still dont understand how if Bush only cut rich people's taxes, and it were to have expired, the middle class would see a tax hike. Guess Bush cut taxes for.....everyone? Oh well, on to the news.............

President Obama got punked last night. It was after 6, so the Ed Shultz show was on, and I just had to watch as ole Ed's head almost exploded with anger. Obama cut taxes for the rich, for 2 years. Not only that, but the GOP also negotiated a 2% payroll tax cut for all Americans!!! That means everyone's check goes up 2% in January!!!! Less money to welfare, more money to me!!!!

And what did the Dems' get in return? A 13 month extension of unemployment. Although these unemployed refuse to take the jobs that are out there (pizza delivery, jail staff, grocery bagger, etc), they will get another 13 months of gov't money.

Which means in Jan 2012, unemployment runs out, while tax cuts stay until Jan 2013, thus eliminating a bargaining tool Obama would have had then, while in the midst of a presidential campaign. He dug his own hole on this one!!!

It's actually quite sad to watch an United States president get punked this badly. I wish you all could've seen the left wingers on MSNBC just in shock last night after their beloved Savior caved in to the GOP.

But I'll end with this. Obama did the right thing. He knew fighting the GOP would result in a loss, which he suffered anyway. He knew the tax cuts were the right thing to do. And he did it. Just one more sign of the downfall of modern liberalism. The heroic savior of liberalism, Barack Hussein Obama, has caved in to the GOP.

And I'm gonna be 2% richer in January!!!:lol:

Thank you GOP!!!

President Obama had better find ways to cut loopholes, or otherwise raise more money in taxes. Because the unemployment extensions were neccessary, but they need to have been paid for. All the tax cuts should have terminated. That was the only fiscally responsible course. And I state that as an upper middle class earner.

Once again, the Republicans asserted their financial irresponsibility, and the President went along with it. A pox on both of them.

Hilarious, the Dems can do whatever they want... they control the Senate and the WH.

But, it is the GOP.

Absofuckinglutely Hilarius.

yeap the cons won again.

They got what they wanted ,MORE tax breaks for the wealthy.

They threatened to shut down EVERYTHING unless the rich got more money.

They were willing to hang all Americans out to dry and fuck the economy to get tax breaks for the wealthy.

They won.

Now in the next congress what will you say if the dem minority uses the same exact tactics to get what they want?

You will rail and scream and there will be NO END to the cavailing.

You will pretend that NO ONE ever did anything like this before.

They had to include gop tax cuts for the rich in order to get Dem unemployment benefits and a lousy 2% tax cut for middle America.

That is how this deal will be perceived and really, perception is everything.
What else will Obama cave on? I hope it's ObamaCare.

I would call it a 'sort of Win.' Extending Unemployment Benefits another 13 Months is going to cost this Nation big-time. More Debt is not a good thing for this Nation. I am a bit surprised the President and Democrats caved on this though. They still have the numbers in Congress. The new Congress doesn't come in till January. The Democrats could have done anything they wanted. So this is surprising. But i'm not celebrating too much. These Unemployment Benefits are gonna come back to bite us in the end. But if you're into Bipartisanship,i guess it is a Win.

They had to include gop tax cuts for the rich in order to get Dem unemployment benefits and a lousy 2% tax cut for middle America.

:eusa_hand:

"Lousy 2% tax cut?"

$100,000 X 0.02 = $2,000

Sarah, please send me a lousy $2,000, if you don't want it.:cool:

so I guess your republican heros dont need the tea party anymore?

They have sooo impressed you with their ability to get tax breaks for the 2%ers that you can now claim a party reunited?

How does tax breaks for the wealthiest people in our country line up with helping sara palins REAL Americans and balencing the budget?

so I guess your republican heros dont need the tea party anymore?

They have sooo impressed you with their ability to get tax breaks for the 2%ers that you can now claim a party reunited?

How does tax breaks for the wealthiest people in our country line up with helping sara palins REAL Americans and balencing the budget?

The arguments are laughable.

We must give 3.2 trillion in tax cuts to the middle class because we are in dire straights, but we can not give 700 billion in tax breaks because we are in dire straights.

Maybe you clowns will come to some sort of realization, but it remains doubtful.

It's a Win for Bipartisanship but it could be a big loss for the country. Extending Unemployment Benefits another 13 Months is going to cost us. How do we pay for it? More Debt isn't the answer. I always support Tax Cuts but i don't see this deal being a net-positive for the Nation. Nothing has changed with their spending. Maybe things will change starting in January when the new Congress clocks in for work. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

In this case perception happens, I think, to mirror reality.

Obama faced either cutting off unemployment, and not extrending on tax breaks for billionaires, or folding to help out nearly 2,000,000 American families whose suffering would have started THIS MONTH.

And that needs to be played up come next election cycle....makes one wonder who fell into who's trap politically.

I was watching the news last night when the "Breaking News" flashers went up on Fox, CNN, MSNBC.

President Obama was about to announce the big news regarding the Bush tax cuts. You know, the tax cuts that were only for the "rich", but which also cut taxes for the middle class. Still dont understand how if Bush only cut rich people's taxes, and it were to have expired, the middle class would see a tax hike. Guess Bush cut taxes for.....everyone? Oh well, on to the news.............

President Obama got punked last night. It was after 6, so the Ed Shultz show was on, and I just had to watch as ole Ed's head almost exploded with anger. Obama cut taxes for the rich, for 2 years. Not only that, but the GOP also negotiated a 2% payroll tax cut for all Americans!!! That means everyone's check goes up 2% in January!!!! Less money to welfare, more money to me!!!!

And what did the Dems' get in return? A 13 month extension of unemployment. Although these unemployed refuse to take the jobs that are out there (pizza delivery, jail staff, grocery bagger, etc), they will get another 13 months of gov't money.

Which means in Jan 2012, unemployment runs out, while tax cuts stay until Jan 2013, thus eliminating a bargaining tool Obama would have had then, while in the midst of a presidential campaign. He dug his own hole on this one!!!

It's actually quite sad to watch an United States president get punked this badly. I wish you all could've seen the left wingers on MSNBC just in shock last night after their beloved Savior caved in to the GOP.

But I'll end with this. Obama did the right thing. He knew fighting the GOP would result in a loss, which he suffered anyway. He knew the tax cuts were the right thing to do. And he did it. Just one more sign of the downfall of modern liberalism. The heroic savior of liberalism, Barack Hussein Obama, has caved in to the GOP.

And I'm gonna be 2% richer in January!!!:lol:

Thank you GOP!!!

You are truly an american idiot.

Where were you complaining about the national debt when Obama was spending trillions on stimulus programs that have obviously failed?

You're evading the issue, lad.

Remember that I think that stimulus money welll spent IS a good idea.

Recall that most of my objections to OBAMA have to do with how badly that stimulus money was spent.... not that it WAS spent

It YOU who objects to all stimulus programs based on your POV about macro-economics.

So this compromise ought to piss you off on TWO fronts IF you're truly concerned with the national debt.

Are you truly concerned about that national debt?

Deflection. Evasion.
If you're concerned about deficits, why weren't you screaming when Obama was spending trillions on waste and fraud.
There is no such thing as "well spent" when it comes to the government.

Its not me who has been telling people that stimulus money was a mistake, its been you. My complaint wasn't that it was spent but that it was misspent.

It is also not me who claimed that extending taxbreaks would be good for the economy, either.

I was bitching about the fact that those tax breaks were being paid for by borrowing money, however.

So let me ask you again...are you happy that in order for us to give unemplyment cecks we have to borrow still more money?

I can tell you that I am happy that we've extended unemployment even though I am not happy that we've got to borrow to do so.

And are you satisfied that we will ALSO be borrowing more money so that billionaires can continue not to pay those additional taxes?

Simply questions, really.

Why won't you answer them, Rab?

A simple yes or no will do, but naturally I hope that you'll amplify your answers with explanations for why you feel that way, too.

Last edited:
The evil Bush Tax cuts according to the U.S. Treasury Department:

Treasury Department analysts credit President Bush's tax cuts with shifting a larger share of the individual income taxes paid to higher income taxpayers. In 2005, says the Treasury, when most of the tax cut provisions are fully in effect (e.g., lower tax rates, the $1,000 child credit, marriage penalty relief), the projected tax share for lower-income taxpayers fell, while the tax share for higher-income taxpayers will rise.

•The share of taxes paid by the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers fell from 4.1 percent to 3.6 percent.

•The share of taxes paid by the top 1 percent of taxpayers rose from 32.3 percent to 33.7 percent.

•The average tax rate for the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers fell by 27 percent as compared to a 13 percent decline for taxpayers in the top 1 percent.

Source: U.S. Treasury, Office of Tax Analysis

Last edited:
You're evading the issue, lad.

Remember that I think that stimulus money welll spent IS a good idea.

Recall that most of my objections to OBAMA have to do with how badly that stimulus money was spent.... not that it WAS spent

It YOU who objects to all stimulus programs based on your POV about macro-economics.

So this compromise ought to piss you off on TWO fronts IF you're truly concerned with the national debt.

Are you truly concerned about that national debt?

Deflection. Evasion.
If you're concerned about deficits, why weren't you screaming when Obama was spending trillions on waste and fraud.
There is no such thing as "well spent" when it comes to the government.

Its not me whose been telling people that stimulus money was a mistake, its been you.

It is also not me who claimed that extending taxbreaks would be good for the economy, either.

I was bitching about the fact that those tax breaks were being paid for by borrowing money, however.

So let me ask you again...are you happy that in order for us to give unemplyment cecks we have to borrow still more money?

I can tell you that I am happy that we've extended unemployment even though I am not happy that we've got to borrow to do so.

And are you satisfied that we will ALSO be borrowing more money so that billionaires can continue not to pay those additional taxes?

Simply questions, really.

Why won't you answer them, Rab?

A simple yes or no will do, but naturally I hope that you'll amplify your answers with explanations for why you feel that way, too.

Jesus for the last time cuts cost nothing, spending is the cost. Freakin tax braks, my only concern is that congress gets to keep spending a billion a year on perks.

BTW the cuts should go forward to force the governments hand in spending. Just think whether dems or repubs lead. The deficit will remain about a trillion a year.

Yahoo a countdown to collapse.

The evil Bush Tax cuts according to the U.S. Treasury Department:

Treasury Department analysts credit President Bush's tax cuts with shifting a larger share of the individual income taxes paid to higher income taxpayers. In 2005, says the Treasury, when most of the tax cut provisions are fully in effect (e.g., lower tax rates, the $1,000 child credit, marriage penalty relief), the projected tax share for lower-income taxpayers fell, while the tax share for higher-income taxpayers will rise.

•The share of taxes paid by the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers fell from 4.1 percent to 3.6 percent.

•The share of taxes paid by the top 1 percent of taxpayers rose from 32.3 percent to 33.7 percent.

•The average tax rate for the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers fell by 27 percent as compared to a 13 percent decline for taxpayers in the top 1 percent.

Source: U.S. Treasury, Office of Tax Analysis

MEME Alert.

Those statistics mean nothing... They would be comparable even under a flat tax. The upper echelons pay a disproportionately high percentage of total tax collected because they make a disproportionately high percentage of wages. Do I need to break it down mathematically, or can you just take my word for it?......

(just take my word for it)

Forum List

Back