GOP spends $178,000,000.00 to save $60,000 on Florida drug tests for welfare

What’s more, the Florida law is actually costing rather than saving the state money. Only 2 percent of welfare recipients actually failed the drug tests, which means Florida will reimburse the 96 percent of recipients the $30 for the drug test. Florida will now owe “about $28,800 – $43,200 monthly in reimbursements.”

Ohio state Rep. Tim Grendell (R) said today that he will introduce legislation requiring Ohioans in need of unemployment benefits, welfare, or other government aid to take a drug test first. Patterned on Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s (R) new law, the bill, Grendell says, will force those seeking state aid “to pay for the drug tests” upfront — a payment that would only be repaid “if they pass.”

Ohio GOP Rep. Wants Drug Tests For Anyone Who Seeks Unemployment Benefits

Only 2 Percent of Florida Welfare Applicants Fail Drug Test

Alabama's Republican lawmakers are pushing to require people who apply for welfare to take drug tests, like Florida just has.

OUR VIEW: If the idea is to protect taxpayer dollars, why limit drug testing only to those who apply for welfare? | al.com

------------------------------------------------------

Look at that. The idea is so bad and so stupid, other Republicans are rushing to do the SAME DAMN THING. Hilarious! And they wonder why I'm critical of Republicans. They probably had a "gut feeling". Or looked at a tree.

"Billionaire-asshole-governor Rick Scott of Florida recently imposed mandatory drug testing on welfare applicants, arguing that people on welfare are much more likely to use drugs. Except it turns out, they're not:..."

LOL

Nice Article Rdeanhole

How about "Tampa Bay Online"? Oops.

Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results | TBO.com

A 2008 study by the Office of National Drug Control Policy also showed that 8.13 percent of Floridians age 12 and up use illegal drugs.

Newton said that's proof the drug-testing program is based on a stereotype, not hard facts.

"This is just punishing people for being poor, which is one of our main points," he said. "We're not testing the population at-large that receives government money; we're not testing people on scholarships, or state contractors. So why these people? It's obvious-- because they're poor."

Scott's office did not respond to a request for comment.

Punishing people for being poor = Republican's #2 public policy priority. It's cheap at any price.

So the real question in this thread is: Can rdean read?

With a rate of 2%, it won't save shit and will cost a, pardon my expression, a "boatload" of money. Drug tests are expensive. You have to buy all those little bottles and gloves for people handling those little bottles. Then you need labs and technicians and secretaries and accountants and buildings and.......well, you get the picture.

A boatload of money? I thought it was going to cost $178,000,000? The fact of the matter is that drug testing will SAVE Floridians a small amount of money. The fact is...you were too stupid to understand that one hundred seventy eight million dollar figure you quoted was the total cost of welfare for Florida, not the cost of the drug tests.

You SHOULD apologize for starting this string...but I won't hold my breath.

Can you imagine that the ENTIRE state of Florida, where the sun always shines, would only have to pay 178 million for all the people living there who recieve welfare???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dum dum

I would be shocked if it were less than 5 billion.

This is why Republicans aren't good at economics. They don't have a clue about the scope of what things cost. 178 million? Hilarious.

And you've got Diamond Dave agreeing with you. Double hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a rate of 2%, it won't save shit and will cost a, pardon my expression, a "boatload" of money. Drug tests are expensive. You have to buy all those little bottles and gloves for people handling those little bottles. Then you need labs and technicians and secretaries and accountants and buildings and.......well, you get the picture.

A boatload of money? I thought it was going to cost $178,000,000? The fact of the matter is that drug testing will SAVE Floridians a small amount of money. The fact is...you were too stupid to understand that one hundred seventy eight million dollar figure you quoted was the total cost of welfare for Florida, not the cost of the drug tests.

Can you imagine that the ENTIRE state of Florida, where the sun always shines, would only have to pay 178 million for all the people living there who recieve welfare???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dum dum

This is why Republicans aren't good at economics. They don't have a clue about the scope of what things cost. 178 million? Hilarious.

Wrong definition of Welfare, dum dum.

This program is for Cash Benefits recipients.
AFDC

Dum dum

if you read into the articles you would realize that this program is only the direct cash payments to those in it. It doesnt include the food stamps, housing allotments and any of the other programs. it is only for TANF (Temporary Assitance for Needy Families.) which is basically a check directly given to the recipients as a supplement to the other benefits.

Dum dum

if you read into the articles you would realize that this program is only the direct cash payments to those in it. It doesnt include the food stamps, housing allotments and any of the other programs. it is only for TANF (Temporary Assitance for Needy Families.) which is basically a check directly given to the recipients as a supplement to the other benefits.

Thanks
I keep forgetting they renamed AFDC - Aid For Dependent Children
:cool:

If it's keeping people of drugs, it's worth it.

827.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Dum dum

At this point I'm guessing someone dresses you when you get up in the morning...feeds you a yummy breakfast...and then makes sure you're out front when the little yellow school bus comes to pick you up. Don't forget your drool rag...

Last edited:
Today is another day people. Don't tell me you still don't understand that 178 MILLION is the cost of the "piss for bucks" program in Florida? Welfare costs are billions NOT millions.

Only 2 percent of welfare recipients actually failed the drug tests, which means Florida will reimburse the 96 percent of recipients the $30 for the drug test. Florida will now owe “about $28,800 – $43,200 monthly in reimbursements.”

Further proof that rightie ideology is based primarily on fear of the possibilities rather than fear of factual reality.

2%? The non welfare recipient population probably tests positive for illegal drugs at a higher rate than that!

How much money is spent on other anti-drug programs?

The only people that would complain about this are the fat, lazy, pot smoking, liberal welfare addicts.

What about Republican tax payers who are having their money wasted?

Many of those Republicans are on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. When they say they want benefits cut, they don't mean theirs, they mean "colored people".

What’s more, the Florida law is actually costing rather than saving the state money. Only 2 percent of welfare recipients actually failed the drug tests, which means Florida will reimburse the 96 percent of recipients the $30 for the drug test. Florida will now owe “about $28,800 – $43,200 monthly in reimbursements.”

Ohio state Rep. Tim Grendell (R) said today that he will introduce legislation requiring Ohioans in need of unemployment benefits, welfare, or other government aid to take a drug test first. Patterned on Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s (R) new law, the bill, Grendell says, will force those seeking state aid “to pay for the drug tests” upfront — a payment that would only be repaid “if they pass.”

Ohio GOP Rep. Wants Drug Tests For Anyone Who Seeks Unemployment Benefits

Only 2 Percent of Florida Welfare Applicants Fail Drug Test

Alabama's Republican lawmakers are pushing to require people who apply for welfare to take drug tests, like Florida just has.

OUR VIEW: If the idea is to protect taxpayer dollars, why limit drug testing only to those who apply for welfare? | al.com

------------------------------------------------------

Look at that. The idea is so bad and so stupid, other Republicans are rushing to do the SAME DAMN THING. Hilarious! And they wonder why I'm critical of Republicans. They probably had a "gut feeling". Or looked at a tree.

You started a whole thread about this lie?

Today is another day people. Don't tell me you still don't understand that 178 MILLION is the cost of the "piss for bucks" program in Florida? Welfare costs are billions NOT millions.

Your source sets the high range of reimbursements at $43,200 a month. You say the government of Florida is spending $178,000,000 on drug testing. So what you're trying to tell us is that you believe with all your heart there are actually 4,120 (178,000,000/43,200) months in a year. :cuckoo:

I hope Ohio does start Drug testing people who want free money.

Last time I heard a number the nearest city had 57% of the population on some type of Government assistance. I'm quite certain that more than 2% of them would fail a drug test. Fact is I find it next to impossible to believe that any random group in the USA today would only have 2% fail a drug test. Just the people on USMB it would have to be at least 40%.....

Your source sets the high range of reimbursements at $43,200 a month. You say the government of Florida is spending $178,000,000 on drug testing. So what you're trying to tell us is that you believe with all your heart there are actually 4,120 (178,000,000/43,200) months in a year. :cuckoo:

This is rdean.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0cvqT1tAE]Teen Talk RARE "Math Class is Tough" Barbie! Working! - YouTube[/ame]

And WHY are welfare costs 'BILLIONS'? It adds to the deficit of TRILLIONS tht we don't have doesn't it?

You are pathetic Deany...you want people given money off the backs of others with NO strings.

*WRONG ANSWER*

The people that PAY the fucking bill off thier sweat equity should demand NO LESS than to scrutinize those on the dole to ensure that the safety net isn't a fucking hammock.

Forum List

Back