GOP sets up huge target for budget ax

can you imagine if the democrats tried to cut the military budget. i can just hear them screaming about how the dems are supporting terrorists and weaking the country.

maybe if they stopped using that as a litmus test??

You mean exactly like the Democrats are going to scream that Republicans hate the poor and minorities and want them to starve and die.

Pot, meet kettle.

I don't believe the Republicans want the poor and minorities to starve and die. I'm sure they simply want them to know their place, be happy with what they have and not make demands for better working conditions, higher wages or affordable health care.

You're so fulla shit it's coming out of your mouth and typing for you.

Know thier place? Yes, we want that and everyones place is not in poverty.

In the story they said everything else would take an average cut of 20%.

Taking things back to 2008 levels

There was still almost a half trillion dollar deficit in 2008. Not good enough.

It's a start...a step in the right direction.

My whole point is, if that's not where they planned to end it and call it a victory I'd be fine with it. But with defense, social security and medicare completely off the table they aren't going to go any further than that. Ever. And if you're running on fiscal restraint and balancing the budget, setting politically motivated rules from the start that everyone knows make it impossible is a no-go for me. They were never serious in the first place, obviously.

All welfare kills.

It removes the need to be responsible and held accountable for your actions and in-actions.

welfare should be a leg up, not a handout.

but to do that, we'd have to make it so people don't have to pay back what they got once they're employed; the programs would have to be time-limited; we'd have to provide day care so single mothers could get on their feet workwise...and job training programs...

but people won't do that.

I've been saying that for decades! And evertime, every single last time, I talk about that I'm called a racist. So I gave up.

Hunger is a great motivator, and hungry kids an even better motivator.

The hand outs keep the truly poor, on a short leash. For decades I've said cut the hand outs and put money into helping people get some actual job training, and start doing that at 16. School, books, class rooms, teachers that teach a subject w/o deep knowlege of it's use turn many kids off.

Honestly. How much formal education do you need to be a plummer, carpenter, or a mechanic? And why do you have to be 18 to wait to go to school for these trades?

More vocational training as part of K-12 education has been something I've wanted for a long time.

I don't believe in hunger as a motivator though. I don't begrudge temporary support, particularly in economic downturns. When you live in an area with 15 - 20% unemployment, you can't sell your home and lose your job through no fault of your own, no amount of hunger or motivation will manufacture a living that just isn't there.

DoD isn't the only way for government to create private sector jobs. Infrastructure projects are another. And two years ago, if I were the incoming president, the first thing i'd have done is create jobs project after jobs project ... all with huge signs in front of them saying... 'your federal tax dollars at work'... instead of the giving in to the tax cut noise...

I thought he did. Isn't that what all the spending bills were about?

It didn't work. All it did was get union members more work and the people that didn't have or lost jobs were SOL. And still are.

no that isn't what the bill did. in fact, the 'stimulus' was more tax cut than anything else.

you see a high speed train being built? you see roads being done?
as for the stimulus not working... they did a half-assed job b/c he thought he'd play nice with the right. but it worked to the extent that everyone agrees that it kept things from being way worse.

Yes. A union is re-working a local bridge. Nothing to do with safety or structure. They put a 2nd layer of concrete on the concrete barriers, drill holes and are putting up a non-safety fence for the sidewalk and re-paved a turnlane. It was supposed to be done Sep 1st, they had a sign and everything. They took the sign down in mid Oct, and are done yet. How much you think that's over budget?

speed train? How many people take trains? All the people that I have met that take trains were on the train I was taking.

Hey they couldnt even defund ACORN.
A Judge stepped in and stopped them .

If they cut anything Id be shocked.

Meh, and they screamed it anyway. Why should what a loud relative fringe of whackaloons choose to scream have any effect on actual governing? If it's not that they'll just scream about something else. Like Kenyan birth certificates. Hell with 'em.

The real deal is about pork, pork, pork.

Squeecky wheel and all that.

The DoD isn't just about pork. It's the only way for government to create private sector jobs.

Everything our military uses was built by a civilian working for other civilians.

That does not excuse price gouging and spending money on things we don't need, or impoving things that don't need to be made better, just to replace them.

Then we should figure out a better way to create those jobs. DoD is a one way street and if the hardware isn't used people start screaming about waste. Hence the cavalcade of ridiculous military action.

If we are going to waste that kind of money..it should be done on something that might really benefit us in the end..like space travel.

Now that is funkin funnay!

At the risk of being called names I will expose my ideas.

Take 1/2 of what we cut from other programs and put it into grants for higher learning.
Not just for colleges, but for trade schools. Lets be honest, it's incredibly hard for an inner city kid to get an education that will prep him for most colleges. But learning a trade, that's hands on, and almost anyone can figure out a trade.

However the grants will have requirements. Must maintain a passing grade, mustn't miss a lot of school. Failing for not trying, means no welfare, nothing, ever again. No more free ride for life, make it or find a dead end job and feed yourself.

It would take years to pay off, but I think it would work long term.

welfare should be a leg up, not a handout.

but to do that, we'd have to make it so people don't have to pay back what they got once they're employed; the programs would have to be time-limited; we'd have to provide day care so single mothers could get on their feet workwise...and job training programs...

but people won't do that.

I've been saying that for decades! And evertime, every single last time, I talk about that I'm called a racist. So I gave up.

Hunger is a great motivator, and hungry kids an even better motivator.

The hand outs keep the truly poor, on a short leash. For decades I've said cut the hand outs and put money into helping people get some actual job training, and start doing that at 16. School, books, class rooms, teachers that teach a subject w/o deep knowlege of it's use turn many kids off.

Honestly. How much formal education do you need to be a plummer, carpenter, or a mechanic? And why do you have to be 18 to wait to go to school for these trades?

More vocational training as part of K-12 education has been something I've wanted for a long time.

I don't believe in hunger as a motivator though. I don't begrudge temporary support, particularly in economic downturns. When you live in an area with 15 - 20% unemployment, you can't sell your home and lose your job through no fault of your own, no amount of hunger or motivation will manufacture a living that just isn't there.

true. we couldn't implement it full force now. But it needs to be done sooner better than later.

Cost cutting measures:

Bring the soldiers home

No more discretionary spending

No more Faith Based spending

Nix the School Breakfast and lunch program. Parents can pack a lunch

Put NASA and the ARTS on HOLD for 7 years

Saving the animals have to wait and the polar bears can roam on the land they have now

No more subsidies

Boycott products manufactured in other countries until they return manufacturing here

Cost cutting measures:

Bring the soldiers home

No more discretionary spending

No more Faith Based spending

Nix the School Breakfast and lunch program. Parents can pack a lunch mine did

Put NASA and the ARTS on HOLD for 7 years Mabey not NASA, they do make usefull tech.

Saving the animals have to wait and the polar bears can roam on the land they have now the bears don't need help. The story about them dying off was just that, a story.

No more subsidies

Boycott products manufactured in other countries until they return manufacturing here

What faith based spending do we have?

Hopefully it is a big axe...
....And, Obama is CARRYING IT!!!!!

November 5, 2011

Obama vs. Funding Requests

"In a move that could escalate hostilities with Congress, President Obama may be planning to use his executive authority to publicize special funding requests that lawmakers make for pet projects.

A memo that the White House has floated on Capitol Hill would require executive branch agencies to make public any letter from a member of Congress seeking special consideration for any project or organization vying for government funding. National Journal obtained a draft copy of the executive memo.

The threat to name and shame would potentially cut off another avenue members of Congress have for influencing government spending in their own back yards. It comes at a time that Obama is ratcheting up his campaign rhetoric against Congress, which he blames for blocking his efforts to stimulate the economy, on the eve of his 2012 reelection effort.

In the draft language, the administration couches the move as an extension of its efforts to eliminate congressional earmarks and promote government openness and accountability."​

john_boehner_crying_little_.jpg

92.gif
. :woohoo: .
92.gif
. :woohoo: .
92.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back