GOP sets up huge target for budget ax

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Two Thumbs, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    NYT: GOP sets up huge target for budget ax - Politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com
    By JACKIE CALMES
    The New York Times

House Republican leaders are so far not specifying which programs would bear the brunt of budget cutting, only what would escape it: spending for the military, domestic security and veterans.

I'm glad to see Vets avoided the ax, and I knew domestic security wasn't going to be touched (many, if not most, sea ports are undermanned).

I'm a little concered that the military, the DoD, gets a pass. Seems foolish to give it a pass. Or are the Reps using hindsight? Are they looking back at the last time there were DoD cuts and saying they won't let that happen to our Servicemen and women again.

The rest of the story kinda desends into partisan hackery.

Like these gems;

Such across-the-board cuts “would have very damaging implications for the long-term growth of the economy and the long-term future of our work force,” said Jacob J. Lew, Mr. Obama’s budget director. He is preparing the administration’s budget for the 2012 fiscal year, which would continue a three-year freeze of the same domestic spending at 2010 levels. In other words; We refuse to admit dumping all that money had little effect and we want to keep doing what didn't work b/c we can't admit we were wrong. :(

“If you look in areas like education, if it was applied across the board it would mean eight million students would have their Pell grants reduced by an average of $700,” Mr. Lew said. “You obviously could make policy not to do that, but then you’d have to save a lot of money somewhere else.” If you can't come up with $700 over a school year, you may not be prepared for adulthood.

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,426
    in other words, they have no intention of cutting anything that would actually have an effect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Hopefully it is a big axe...

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,001
    They should be using chain saws not axes. I thought we were supposed to be embracing technology here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    In the story they said everything else would take an average cut of 20%.

Taking things back to 2008 levels

6. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    And hopefully the axman doesn't get tired.

7. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    What was the 2008 deficit again? And with the beating the economy took over the last 2 years, are receipts anywhere near 2008 levels?

Face it, you're not going to have any real effect from any budget cuts as long as the military is a sacred cow. Hell, as long as there are any sacred cows. Line by line with every single line item on the table is the only way you'll ever do it.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,426
    exactly. how do you not curb pentagon spending?? weapons systems that we have no need for... no bid contracts. seems to me that should be the FIRST thing you cut...

so what will they cut? schools? yep.

money they give to the states? yep.

federal agencies? yep. (which is how we ended up with the BP spill.. but that shouldn't deter them, right??)

FTC? yep... let china send in all that lead infected stuff for kids.

heaven forbid they should actually do anything useful.

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I agree with you. BUT, that is not how it's done. The last time the DoD fell under the ax, servicemen and women lost thier jobs, most of it done illegally, and we were not fully prepared for the next war. Everyone does what's easiest, get rid of people, not the hard stuff like; close overseas ports and bases, fine tune the equipment we use, limit the doubling of things, go over contracts so we are not paying $400 for a toilet seat or $250 for a hamer, or $800 for a bronz screwdriver.

10. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    There's a reason they picked 2008 spending levels, you know. Blame, blame, blame. And nothing else.

The problem is, when (and if) they strip away any new spending levels from the past 2 years they're still going to be faced with a massive deficit, a bloated bureaucracy, and all of the other things they blame on the Dems. It will change absolutely nothing, except to underscore the point that from a fiscal point of view we've been screwed for 30 years and by both parties.

When the old bullshit games haven't worked before, why play them now? If they were serious, they'd be looking at everything - and the DoD is the biggest, most bloated target.