GOP Senator: White House Encroaching on First Amendment

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Deliver us from 1984.

ABC News’ Rick Klein reports:

A Republican senator is calling for the White House to suspend a new project that asks members of the public to flag “fishy” claims about President Obama’s health care plans, arguing that it raises privacy concerns and will serve to chill free speech.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, is sending a letter to the White House today asking the president to “cease this program immediately” -- or to explain how Americans’ privacy will be protected if e-mails are forwarded to the White House as requested.

“I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests,” Cornyn writes

GOP Senator: White House Encroaching on First Amendment - The Note

No kiddin, it's an encroachment on the 1st amendment. I wonder what all those flaming liberals have to say about this, they usually take up the cause when it comes to stuff like this. I will bet they will either be silent or defend it to the hilt, because it's their guy doin it.

Deliver us from 1984.

A Republican senator is calling for the White House to suspend a new project that asks members of the public to flag “fishy” claims about President Obama’s health care plans, arguing that it raises privacy concerns and will serve to chill free speech.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, is sending a letter to the White House today asking the president to “cease this program immediately” -- or to explain how Americans’ privacy will be protected if e-mails are forwarded to the White House as requested.

“I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests,” Cornyn writes

Interesting, that the GOP suddenly developed a concern for citizens' privacy.

Deliver us from 1984.

Interesting, that the GOP suddenly developed a concern for citizens' privacy.

I'm more concerned for the possible stifling of free speech.

As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. And so to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and we are ready to lead once more. Barack Obama

Those words seem to have a hollow ring to them when you compare it to someone so willing to violate the 1st Amendment rights of others if they don't happen to agree with him.

As a civil rights attorney and professor of constitutional law, Obama has a keen understanding and deep appreciation of our nation’s core values and guiding principles. Obama will be a fierce defender of the fundamental American values of freedom and equality under law.
Source: Campaign website, ObamaForIllinois.com, ?On The Issues? May 2, 2004

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ53s_Zyr04&mode=related&search=]YouTube - CNN - bush Violated 1st & 4th Amendments, Oath, & Lied[/ame]

What I want to know is where is all the righteous anger over the same violations that Bush was accused of daily for such things. This tactic is right out the Saul Alinsky playbook and needs to stop right away and is a large over reach of authority on the part of the president and if this were Bush , or any other Republican he would be BBQ'd in the media for this sort of thing. So it's time that people held their leaders to the same standards and it's time this President realized that he is the president of every American and not just the persident of those that voted for him.

Forum List

Back