GOP Senator block bill to make BP pay

Good. Somebody took a stand against passing an Ex Post Facto law to punish BP.

AGREED! Southern states will LOVE anyone that keeps BP from paying for the damge that the southern states will be incurring. You know, the South, the solid rock that the GOP is counting on in 2010 and 2012. STONEWALL! THE GOP NEEDS TO STONEWALL AS MUCH AS THEY CAN.

AGREED! Southern states will LOVE anyone that keeps BP from paying for the damge that the southern states will be incurring. You know, the South, the solid rock that the GOP is counting on in 2010 and 2012. STONEWALL! THE GOP NEEDS TO STONEWALL AS MUCH AS THEY CAN.

What do you not get about the ex post facto exclusion in the constitution? Any revison of the cap made after an event happens is unconstitutional.

Hasn't BP already paid more than the 75M "cap" (for some reason I remember a 1 billion cap as well).

Yeah, because we certainly wouldn't want them to pay to clean up their own mess or anything. Whatever happened to "personal responsibility"? Does that not apply to large corporations?

What do you not get about the ex post facto exclusion in the constitution? Any revison of the cap made after an event happens is unconstitutional.

Hasn't BP already paid more than the 75M "cap" (for some reason I remember a 1 billion cap as well).

The cap will matter a whole lot when folks on the gulf run out of money this fall because they couldn't fish in oily water. Yes, they will understand the cap and just allow BP to walk away. Keep thinking that...:clap2:

BP, Haliburton, and the oil drill owner will be paying for years, as will us tax payers. So how is the GOP going to spin that one?

According to Cali G....there is NOTHING to worry about. BP has promised to clean all of this mess up AND so far they have already spent $450M. Based on the pictures of the Gulf and the oil leak...I would say they are not getting a very good return on their investement.....

Product my post where I said this. I want evidence that I have said there is nothing to worry about. Don't go and find one and then say 'what you are saying here is....' I want to see the exact post where I have claimed that.

I can tell you, you will not find that post because I have not posted such crap. Again, you are a fucking liar. Are you retarded or something - genuine question. Is lying a mental issue that you have? Do you even recognize that you're lying?

I really despise liars.

Be weary there Girl! Where were you when the GOP and the tea party were sending out lie after lie about the HC reform bill? The GOP has the most developed manner of spinning a lie to apear true that I have ever seen. I guess it is a talent that has been perfected over the years.

The Senate Bill is going to be interesting. How does the GOP serve two masters? How do they assure themselves the vote in Alabama, LA, and Miss by appearing concerned about the oil spill and at the same time bow to their oil industry masters. They are going to have to do some fast stepping to get out of this one! I LOOK FORWARD TO IT!

They better hope that BP plugs the well, cause this is getting bigger and bigger. Sonner or later their Hypocrisy is going to start spewing just like the oil! :clap2:

Fuck off with your 'Girl' label, you sexist ass.

The liars I referred to are the posters named. Each one of them has lied consistently about this. This thread is not about the GOP or healthcare reform, it is about the oil spill.

Let's start with this one where you tell us all how the BBC is reporting that:

Hey aren't you the idiot who swore up and down ex post facto applied to civil law - in spite of a very clear Supreme Court ruling to the contrary?

Hey, aren't you the idiot who keeps claiming that BP have to be forced to clean up? Fucking idiot.

For the record, according to the BBC, the clean up has already cost BP in excess of $300m. I see no sign of them refusing to pay for the clean up and yet you still scream about them being forced to pay for it.

The moron cap fits you. Wear it with left wing pride.

Let's start what, you fucking moron?

Your post doesn't actually make sense. Color me shocked pink. Who'd have thunk it?

The damage is going to last decades. Maybe all profits should go to paying the bills?

They wont and all the companies combined will never pay the cost of this mess.

Idiots will defend them and they will get off without paying.

Everyone knows it but few will admitt it.

There are Americans who are more concerned about corporations (even foriegn ones) more than they care about this country.

I just cant understand how any American voters can be sooo fucking stupid.

Probably in much the same way wealthy plantation owners managed to convince the regular folk of the time that it was in their best interest to fight and die so that they, the well heeled, could maintain their lavish lives of leisure and civility.

Hey, aren't you the idiot who keeps claiming that BP have to be forced to clean up? Fucking idiot.

For the record, according to the BBC, the clean up has already cost BP in excess of $300m. I see no sign of them refusing to pay for the clean up and yet you still scream about them being forced to pay for it.

The moron cap fits you. Wear it with left wing pride.

Your post doesn't actually make sense. Color me shocked pink. Who'd have thunk it?

You're pink because you are embarrassed that I cuaght you in a lie, not that you are shocked....but it's OK. We all know it.

Oh...and just so you know, I was instructed not to respond to your creepy PMs and neg reps. Otherwise, I would have. All in good time, bitch.

Product my post where I said this. I want evidence that I have said there is nothing to worry about. Don't go and find one and then say 'what you are saying here is....' I want to see the exact post where I have claimed that.

I can tell you, you will not find that post because I have not posted such crap. Again, you are a fucking liar. Are you retarded or something - genuine question. Is lying a mental issue that you have? Do you even recognize that you're lying?

I really despise liars.

Be weary there Girl! Where were you when the GOP and the tea party were sending out lie after lie about the HC reform bill? The GOP has the most developed manner of spinning a lie to apear true that I have ever seen. I guess it is a talent that has been perfected over the years.

The Senate Bill is going to be interesting. How does the GOP serve two masters? How do they assure themselves the vote in Alabama, LA, and Miss by appearing concerned about the oil spill and at the same time bow to their oil industry masters. They are going to have to do some fast stepping to get out of this one! I LOOK FORWARD TO IT!

They better hope that BP plugs the well, cause this is getting bigger and bigger. Sonner or later their Hypocrisy is going to start spewing just like the oil! :clap2:

Fuck off with your 'Girl' label, you sexist ass.

The liars I referred to are the posters named. Each one of them has lied consistently about this. This thread is not about the GOP or healthcare reform, it is about the oil spill.

girl label, bwaaahahahah, could you be more pathetically unaware?

GOP Senator Blocks Bill to Make BP Pay - The Daily Beast

Follow the money, my friends. Follow the money...

I don't care if BP goes under! They need to pay and reimburse anyone that is harmed due to their incompetence and the greed that has allowed all of the oil industry to run roughshod over regulators for decades. The damage to the Gulf is going to add up to BILLIONS!
hahaha! That is awesome! wtf is wrong with the GOP?

You're pink because you are embarrassed that I cuaght you in a lie, not that you are shocked....but it's OK. We all know it.

Oh...and just so you know, I was instructed not to respond to your creepy PMs and neg reps. Otherwise, I would have. All in good time, bitch.

What lie did you 'cuaght' me out in? Exactly what did I lie about?

And... again, stop lying about me PMing you. Why on earth would I PM you? Fucking fool, you don't know the difference between a neg rep and a PM, do you? Idiot.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. BP is already liable for the clean up costs. The $75M limit is for "damages".

There is also a fund into which oil companies have been paying for years to cover "damages":

People can also pursue claims in state court and file for damages through the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which was established after the Exxon Valdez. The fund, which collects 8 cents from the industry for every barrel of oil produced or imported to the U.S., has about $1.6 billion available to cover damages.

BP could face billions in oil-spill costs - Yahoo! News

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. BP is already liable for the clean up costs. The $75M limit is for "damages".

There is also a fund into which oil companies have been paying for years to cover "damages":

People can also pursue claims in state court and file for damages through the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which was established after the Exxon Valdez. The fund, which collects 8 cents from the industry for every barrel of oil produced or imported to the U.S., has about $1.6 billion available to cover damages.

BP could face billions in oil-spill costs - Yahoo! News

Indeed, if they are liable, they'll be paying out a HUGE amount. And.... deservedly so.

Indeed. We already have laws in place. Passing an Ex Post Facto law which shreds The Constitution just so a few politicians can engage in political grandstanding is hypocritical in the extreme.

Indeed. We already have laws in place. Passing an Ex Post Facto law which shreds The Constitution just so a few politicians can engage in political grandstanding is hypocritical in the extreme.

I suspect it is more about self preservation.... because it deflects from the hard questions.... like 'who signed off on the drilling'.

It's also to deflect attention away from the Obama Administration's incredibly slow response - note how they are all parroting that they were there on Day One. It's a lie.

The DC buzz has been that the White House went into a tizzy over the Katrina comparisons. They are desperate to deflect blame.

It's not going to work.

Last edited:
It's also to deflect attention away from the Obama Administration's incredibly slow response - note how they are all parroting that they were there on Day One. It's a lie.

The DC buzz has been that the White House went into a tizzy over the Katrina comparisons. They are desperate to deflect blame.

It's not going to work.

"Incredibly slow response" from a Federal Government that per the Constitution is not required to clean up oil leaks? What the hell MORE did you expect our Government to do anyway?

Ahem.

If the Left is going to criticize Bush for Katrina (a situation in which federal, state, and municipal jurisdiction caused initial confusion and delays) - then at least have the intellectual honesty to hold the Obama Administration responsible for a lax response to a situation which was clearly in Federal jurisdiction.

Ahem.

If the Left is going to criticize Bush for Katrina (a situation in which federal, state, and municipal jurisdiction caused initial confusion and delays) - then at least have the intellectual honesty to hold the Obama Administration responsible for a lax response to a situation which was clearly in Federal jurisdiction.

Or...if the right is going to hold up the Constitution and state that the document does not support heathcare for everyone, then at least have the intellectual honesty to hold the same document up and admit our Federal government has no responsibility here..

It's not going to work.

"Incredibly slow response" from a Federal Government that per the Constitution is not required to clean up oil leaks? What the hell MORE did you expect our Government to do anyway?

How about NOT sign off on the drilling without ensuring it had appropriate safety procedures? Just a thought.

Forum List

Back