GOP scrambles after two representatives illegally cast votes without taking oath

GOP scrambles after two representatives illegally cast votes without taking oath - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

In their second day in power the Republicans are already struggling with a major error. United States Representatives Pete Sessions (R-TX) and Mike Fitzpatrick (R-PA) both failed to attend the swearing in ceremony as required by the United States Constitution. Despite not swearing in, both representatives have been casting votes as if they were legal. The Republicans passed an important rules package and a number of procedural motions to repeal health care reform using the votes of Sessions and Fitzpatrick. Technically, that could invalidate all of the business of the House for the last two days. Ironically, the Republicans read the United States Constitution to open the House session today, but no one must have been listening to the portion which requires House members to be sworn in before performing their duties. As soon as the Republicans did discover their error late this afternoon they immediately went into recess to try and resolve the matter.

But wait, it gets better:

However, a unanimous consent motion, by definition, requires the consent of the minority. As a result, Republicans are literally forced to go to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to ask her if she will consent to the motion.

But wait! It gets even better!

The story gets worse for Republicans when it comes to the reason for the two men's absences. Both were somewhere else in the Capitol Building with about 500 supporters for a "victory lap" event.

I guess reading the Constitution didn't help much. :lol:
For the record, these two representatives voted "present" and their present votes have been nullified.

Two Republicans vote 'present' in healthcare test vote - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

You teabag heads can neg rep me until the cows come home. I don't care. I will continue to give an honest opinion. Grow up.

Forum List

Back