GOP scrambles after two representatives illegally cast votes without taking oath

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
GOP scrambles after two representatives illegally cast votes without taking oath - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

In their second day in power the Republicans are already struggling with a major error. United States Representatives Pete Sessions (R-TX) and Mike Fitzpatrick (R-PA) both failed to attend the swearing in ceremony as required by the United States Constitution. Despite not swearing in, both representatives have been casting votes as if they were legal. The Republicans passed an important rules package and a number of procedural motions to repeal health care reform using the votes of Sessions and Fitzpatrick. Technically, that could invalidate all of the business of the House for the last two days. Ironically, the Republicans read the United States Constitution to open the House session today, but no one must have been listening to the portion which requires House members to be sworn in before performing their duties. As soon as the Republicans did discover their error late this afternoon they immediately went into recess to try and resolve the matter.

But wait, it gets better:

However, a unanimous consent motion, by definition, requires the consent of the minority. As a result, Republicans are literally forced to go to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to ask her if she will consent to the motion.

But wait! It gets even better!

The story gets worse for Republicans when it comes to the reason for the two men's absences. Both were somewhere else in the Capitol Building with about 500 supporters for a "victory lap" event.

I guess reading the Constitution didn't help much. :lol:

um, didnt you already have a thread on this?

and this is no big deal to me

Did I have a thread on this? Where? This is different from the House violating their own house rules, this is the GOP not following the Constitution. :lol:

well SOMEONE has one or two

LOL

I'm sure you can see the irony and humor in this. The irony part being not only did the GOP read the Constitution on the floor but they failed to follow it from the first vote that took place. The humor part being not only were the two representatives taking a "victory lap" but now they have to go ask Nancy Pelosi of all people to not make them look even more moronic. :lol:

well SOMEONE has one or two

LOL

I'm sure you can see the irony and humor in this. The irony part being not only did the GOP read the Constitution on the floor but they failed to follow it from the first vote that took place. The humor part being not only were the two representatives taking a "victory lap" but now they have to go ask Nancy Pelosi of all people to not make them look even more moronic. :lol:
small potatoes

and its already taken care of
and they DID take the oath
just they wernt on the house floor when they did it so it wasnt done right
they have since done so

Last edited:
small potatoes

The GOP brought this upon themselves though.

If they didn't read the Constitution out loud and not have these two doing a "victory lap" when they were suppose to be sworn in then this probably would of barely made a mention.

The funniest thing to me is that they watched the swearing-in on television from the Capitol Visitors Center with their hands raised. :lol:

Did they really think this would count?? God help us all!! What a couple of bozos.

The funniest thing to me is that they watched the swearing-in on television from the Capitol Visitors Center with their hands raised. :lol:

Did they really think this would count?? God help us all!! What a couple of bozos.

Are they Palin endorsed politicians?

I raised my hand too, therefore, I'm now a Congressman.

Last edited:
um, didnt you already have a thread on this?

and this is no big deal to me

Of course it isn't they are not demoncrats.

Technically they should be charged with a crime or at least ethics violations.
um, what "crime"?
and are you really serious?
:lol:

Are YOU serious? If they were not sworn in, how can they vote? It sounds really dishonest to me that they weren't there to be sworn in, and then to vote ANYWAY! It's like they are making a mockery of our whole process, and they are the ones who are supposed to be keeping it together. It's like a soccer player scoring a goal in a game when he wasn't on the roster that was given to the refs. The goal would not count and that player would be disqualified. As that analogy carries over this example, the vote should not count, and there should be SOME penalty given to those people. That is a serious level of idiocy.

Last edited:
small potatoes

The GOP brought this upon themselves though.

If they didn't read the Constitution out loud and not have these two doing a "victory lap" when they were suppose to be sworn in then this probably would of barely made a mention.

Did we see you throwing a stink when Pelnazi when carrying a gavel in a charade outside of the capitol??? Thought not

Hypocrite

And before you spout of your uber-partisan bullshit... I think BOTH events are small potatoes

Are they Palin endorsed politicians?

They must be. My belief is that to do well in ANY job, a person must have common sense. And those two dummies showed that they certainly don't have it. It's hysterical what they did but also kind of troubling, isn't it???

Of course it isn't they are not demoncrats.

Technically they should be charged with a crime or at least ethics violations.
um, what "crime"?
and are you really serious?
:lol:

Are YOU serious? If they were not sworn in, how can they vote? It sounds really dishonest to me that they weren't there to be sworn in, and then to vote ANYWAY! It's like they are making a mockery of our whole process, and they are the ones who are supposed to be keeping it together. It's like a soccer player scoring a goal in a game when he wasn't on the roster that was given to the refs. The goal would not count and that player would be disqualified. As that analogy carries over this example, the vote should not count, and there should be SOME penalty given to those people. That is a serious level of idiocy.

It really is. How they got this far is just amazing. And why is it not upsetting conservatives?? They are defending them!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back