GOP Representative Cliff Stearns: "Sell off the National Parks"

Yes, another conversation. :)

Do you eat pork by any chance? Seafood?

Immie

I eat a lot of fish and wild game. No, I don't observe prohibitions on pork or shellfish.

I do with regards to shellfish, but that is because I am deathly allergic to it and the last time I took a bite by mistake, I spent the rest of the evening in the hospital getting adrenaline shots trying to keep me alive.

Immie

Ouch.

I love clams and oysters and crabs and shrimp....if it comes from the ocean, I'll likely eat it. Course, I'm likely to eat all sorts of critters, for that matter.

Must be repaid.
I take personal responsibility seriously.

There are no absolutes in this world. I take reality very seriously.

Well I personally will absolutely pay all my debts.
That is an absolute for me.
All my debts are already paid.

my name is Earl :D

Well, I have no debts either, own my home out right and pay hard cash. But I also forgive most people that owe me. I do not lend to my brother and take interest from his poverty or need either. I give to my brother what is mine to give and I forgive his debts. Therefore, "debts must be repaid" is surely not absolute.

I'm not sure what to think.
There are some national parks that need to remain. There are some (the petrified forest for Godsake) that are not much more than glorified wasteland.
Not a good precedent to set.

Yes, and I suspect that we hold a lot of this land simply because it is wasteland. The stuff that would fetch us any sort of price will have timber and resources on it. I suspect the BLM stuff out west is near worthless, in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, the 'waste land' out west contains much of the mineral treasure of the US. And huge resources in potential energy. Most of Nevada is a desert, nearly worthless for agriculture of any kind, with not enough water available even for domestic use. Yet is has extremely high potential for geothermal, solar, and wind power generation. Since this is our land, the revenue generated by charging utilities the same kind of fee that farmers charge for land use, could go either into the general fund, or into much needed repair to the National Park facilities.

Those seeking to extract natural resources.

Well yes but you know, most of the resources on public land are contracted out to private industry anyway. We (the public) retain ownership but the jobs created from any contracts to take timber or resources are still created. The only thing that transfers in a sell off of land for resource potential is that some corporation or individual takes the profits rather than the public.

We, the public, don't own anything. The government owns it.

"A government of the people, by the people, for the people". I know. Radicalism to those that believe in a "government of the corperations, by the corporations, for the corporations''. That was tried out in Italy and other nations about 75 years ago. I believe that is what you are advocating, Kevin.

Well yes but you know, most of the resources on public land are contracted out to private industry anyway. We (the public) retain ownership but the jobs created from any contracts to take timber or resources are still created. The only thing that transfers in a sell off of land for resource potential is that some corporation or individual takes the profits rather than the public.

We, the public, don't own anything. The government owns it.

"A government of the people, by the people, for the people". I know. Radicalism to those that believe in a "government of the corperations, by the corporations, for the corporations''. That was tried out in Italy and other nations about 75 years ago. I believe that is what you are advocating, Kevin.

I don't believe that you have any idea what I'm advocating, especially considering that post wasn't advocating anything. It was a simple statement of fact.

How much am I offered for the Statue of Liberty?

all federal lands should be divided "fairly" amongst u.s. families

social justice and equality of outcomes for all !!!!!! lol

I thought of the Joni Mitchell song.

Big Yellow Taxi

by Joni Mitchell

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel *, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone