GOP Rep Suggests Teachers Should Be Armed With Assault Rifles

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
A Republican Congressman suggested that had the teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary been armed with assault rifles, they could have prevented Friday’s massacre and saved lives.
Appearing on a special Fox News Sunday dedicated to the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) said that an armed teacher or principal could have taken the killer’s “head off before he can kill those precious kids”:
GOHMERT: Having been a judge and reviewed photographs of these horrific scenes and knowing that children have these defensive wounds, gun shots through their arms and hands as they try to protect themselves, and, hearing the heroic stories of the principal, lunging, trying to protect, Chris, I wish to God she had had an M-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out and she didn’t have to lunge heroically with nothing in her hands and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids. [...]

GOP Rep Suggests Teachers Should Be Armed With Assault Rifles | ThinkProgress

I think police cruisers need to hang out in school parking lots during the school day when they are idle. Don't be idle in a shopping center or convenience store during the day. Be in a school parking lot.

We need to ask our schools to do police work too that way we can double cut their pay

A Republican Congressman suggested that had the teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary been armed with assault rifles, they could have prevented Friday’s massacre and saved lives.
Appearing on a special Fox News Sunday dedicated to the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) said that an armed teacher or principal could have taken the killer’s “head off before he can kill those precious kids”:
GOHMERT: Having been a judge and reviewed photographs of these horrific scenes and knowing that children have these defensive wounds, gun shots through their arms and hands as they try to protect themselves, and, hearing the heroic stories of the principal, lunging, trying to protect, Chris, I wish to God she had had an M-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out and she didn’t have to lunge heroically with nothing in her hands and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids. [...]

Congressional or no congressional approval, if I am a teacher, I am going to think about carrying a concealed firearm. If I have not had training, I am going to get trained on how to properly use a firearm.

Maybe we can employ the people who no one else wants hire so we can pay them even less to teach and protect our kids.

Hmmmmm......... no one wants to hire insane people.

We could really save some tax dollars

I think police cruisers need to hang out in school parking lots during the school day when they are idle. Don't be idle in a shopping center or convenience store during the day. Be in a school parking lot.

That was actually a common practice up until a few years ago. Parents at many schools complained that it scared kids and made parents worry about if something bad was happening, causing panic. So....mayors and city councils told chiefs to stop doing it. They want cops out of sight/out of mind....until evil hits.

We need to ask our schools to do police work too that way we can double cut their pay

You raise a valid point.

We hear cries now for the teachers and cops to do more to stop this.

Yet...its a free market, and to get people willing to do more and more...we must compensate for it.

Republicans now want teachers, already overworked in many places especially non-union places, to take on the duties of a cop, and have to recieve combat training to handle that gun in a chaotic environment?

Our society must COMMIT to stopping this, or ACCEPT it and move on. We cant have our cake and eat it too on this one.

how many on the right would be willing to pay teachers more for this "extra" service they are to perform?

He's right too.

The only way to stop a determined madman who is not afraid to die is to slay him when he starts to be a threat. Many shooting incidents have happened in "gun free zones". There's the problem. Such designations did nothing to stop determined madmen not afraid to die. So we must allow teachers who want to be armed to get trained and certified.

The only way to stop a determined madman who is not afraid to die is to slay him when he starts to be a threat. Many shooting incidents have happened in "gun free zones". There's the problem. Such designations did nothing to stop determined madmen not afraid to die. So we must allow teachers who want to be armed to get trained and certified.

Exactly, I can't help but think how many lives the janitor, (or any of the teachers) could've saved with one good shot, rather than running around telling everyone to hide and hope the animal didn't see them.

Forum List

Back