GOP Rep: NRA Plan To Put Guns In Schools Would Create ‘Orwellian Surveillance State’

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) blasted National Rifle Association (NRA) Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre’s plan to put armed guards in school, worrying that it would lead to “an Orwellian police state in America.” Paul, a libertarian most famous for his numerous presidential runs, connected the NRA proposal to onerous TSA regulations in statement on his official website:

Furthermore, do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance cameras, metal detectors, X-ray scanners, and warrantless physical searches? We see this culture in our airports: witness the shabby spectacle of once proud, happy Americans shuffling through long lines while uniformed TSA agents bark orders. This is the world of government provided “security,” a world far too many Americans now seem to accept or even endorse. School shootings, no matter how horrific, do not justify creating an Orwellian surveillance state in America.

While Paul’s right to highlight the troubling implications of the NRA proposal in terms of expanding police presence and power, the armed guards plan also wouldn’t work as a practical matter. Schools with armed guards have been the victims of several mass shootings. There probably aren’t enough adequately trained police officers to do the job. And more guns in schools could very well make the problem worse.

GOP Rep: NRA Plan To Put Guns In Schools Would Create 'Orwellian Surveillance State' | ThinkProgress

I agree that the federal gov't putting armed guards in schools may create an 'Orwellian surveillance state'. However, this part of the thinkprogress link, 'Schools with armed guards have been the victims of several mass shootings. There probably aren’t enough adequately trained police officers to do the job. And more guns in schools could very well make the problem worse' seems rather non-sensical. Let's begin by saying that the lefty solution to deem areas as 'gun free zones' has been an obvious magnet for maniacs to feel emboldened with unchecked access to kill school children.

Yes, Columbine did have security that didn't help...apparently they were at lunch themselves...poor planning? Enlighten me on further incidents of armed guards being victimized; and have they signed up for such job against their own volition? To suggest that a responsible adult able to protect the children is a bad idea, offers no logic and reason. Every adult, should lawfully be able to self-defend, and every child deserves the protection of responsible adults of whose custody they are in.

Characterizing Ron Paul as a spokesman for the GOP is a deliberate deception by the OP. If Mr. Paul doesn't want to live in a country with airport security, etc. he should move to Antarctica. His "Orwellian" reference to armed guards at schools is equally ridiculous, since a large number of schools already have them. Is there any evidence that they are more Orwellian than other schools? I like a lot of what Mr. Paul says, but he undermines his own credibility when refusing to deal with reality as it currently exists.

I think what some people seem to be forgetting is the fact that the NRA can only make suggestions -like any other special interest group, they do not implement policy. Get a grip people.

I think what some people seem to be forgetting is the fact that the NRA can only make suggestions -like any other special interest group, they do not implement policy. Get a grip people.
Of course the NRA does not implement policy, they can only back it with their voice. What is your point exactly? 'Get a grip people'...what are you saying with your blanket ugliness?

Of course the NRA does not implement policy, they can only back it with their voice. What is your point exactly? 'Get a grip people'...what are you saying with your blanket ugliness?

blanket ugliness? Blanket ugliness is using a tragedy to further an agenda... That's blanket ugliness!!! The gun control nuts are getting quite ugly in their efforts to abolish people's Constitutional Rights, and Freedoms playing upon other people's emotions over a tragedy. Despicable if you ask me... That's my point. Now feel free to STFU.

blanket ugliness? Blanket ugliness is using a tragedy to further an agenda... That's blanket ugliness!!! The gun control nuts are getting quite ugly in their efforts to abolish people's Constitutional Rights, and Freedoms playing upon other people's emotions over a tragedy. Despicable if you ask me... That's my point. Now feel free to STFU.

Thanks for articulating. I always prefer clarity over agreement. In this regard, I agree with your support of gun rights. 'Get a grip people' doesn't explain your position well, nor does commenting on the NRA's lack of voting on policy. But hey, glad to see you are on the side of common sense. Specifics are helpful.

Forum List

Back