GOP Rep Calls Pell Grants 'Welfare of the 21st Century'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SgtMeowenstein, Apr 2, 2011.

1. SgtMeowenstein

SgtMeowenstein BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I know that to people other than rabid right-wingers this will come as no surprise, but I thought I'd point it out. Yet another reason not to trust Republicans.

2. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Hey man, I'm on the left side of the fence, but I do in fact agree that there need to be some sort of stipulations on the money we hand out for education.

I have seen way too many people get publicly funded college degrees in fields like "philosophy", and then go on to do nothing with it, because they never should have gotten it in the first place.

What the hell is the point of the public paying for a college degree if the public then sees no benefit from said degree?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Calling Pell Grants "Welfare" is going a bit too far, of course, but the man does have a point.

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    Are there any requirements connected with these Pell Grants? Grade/graduation requirements and such? If not, there should be . . . don't you think?

The more federal money given to schools the more the schools increase their costs. It's a never-ending cycle that does squat to lower the cost of a college education.

What if the fed got out of the college game altogether and colleges actually had to compete with each other for students? Costs would drop significantly. This is all one big bullshit game.

The fed just increased Pell Grants with the 'savings' they garnered by eliminating the bank's role in the loans/grant process. They used more than half of the -- what was it, $67 million or something -- and rolled it into Pell Grants. They changed the eligibility requirements on the FAFSA too. You used to have to list the exact amount of your assets (how much you had in the bank, cd's etc). This year it just asks 'are your assets less than $50K', with no specifics. More people will likely qualify under this rewording.

Why shouldn't there be requirements that students have to meet in order to receive federal money?

5. SgtMeowenstein

SgtMeowenstein BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +67
    There are requirements. They're called 'financial requirements'. If you're poor enough, you get a grant. Whether or not a person actually does something with that education is irrelevant. You can't make anybody do anything. Pell Grants were designed to give low-income people a chance at higher education. Is that not honorable enough?

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Some dont want the American people educated.

7. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    I agree that it's hyperbole, except in some situations it literally is "welfare." I know of a specific case:

Mommy and Daddy paid for tuition, room and board, food, and "a little" entertainment money for 4 years. Junior got an AA degree and then changed his major 5 times. After Mommy and Daddy cut him off, he took a year research internship that provided housing and a food stipend (none count as income). He did that internship in the Dominican Republic processing mail for Doctors Without Borders.

At 23, he was considered a full-fledged adult and having no income history. He qualified for a $13,000 Pell Grant each year he was a full time student and qualified for government sponsored interest and payment deferred loans. He spent 2 more years (all the time left that he was eligible) completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in History. He got $26,000 in grants and $32,000 in loans. When he went looking for a job, he realized he couldn't afford to make the payments on his loans on minimum wage. He was never considered for anything higher because he didn't have any skills and refused to shave or get rid of his dreadlocks ("smart people don't conform"). He was stuck, he need to eat and needed a place to live. An academic advisor gave him a solution, Graduate School. So he enrolled for a Master's in Social Work, which allowed him to get another $13,000 per year in grants and $20,000 per year in loans. His tuition, fees, campus housing and books were free because he also enrolled in a state program which exchanged education for a commitment to work for a state agency for 3 years upon graduation.

When he was scheduled to start his dissertation, he was sent a packet outlining the different places in Florida he was going to be sent to work for 3 years and the salary - $38,000 per year. He was a bit flustered because there was no way he could afford to live on that and pay on his $82,000 in student loans. He dropped out before graduation, one dissertation shy of an MSW because if he graduates he has to work in a job he can't afford to have. He doesn't have any official job because if he has any reportable income he has to start paying on the loans. He lives in his mom's house (his dad is dead and his mom lives in a nursing home) and has roommates that pay rent. He plays tambourine in a band, still has those dreadlocks. The lead singer says that they practice in the garage, which is why they have a tambourine player. :tongue:

Can the $108,000 he got from the government be considered welfare? I think so. Upper middle class family, too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  8. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    "Poor" is relative though. A 25 year with no income but very rich parents who pay for everything is considered "poor."

The girl who lives behind my parents gets welfare, Section 8 housing (which she rents out under the table to her friends), and food stamps. She "occasionally spends the night" in her old bedroom still made up like a that of a 1987 teenager, lounges at the pool, and drives "Dad's" pink Mercedes. She's 40 and has been working the system ever since she was 22 and got laid off as a factory supervisor.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I'm not a Republican, I'm a Conservative; but I would like to see them done away with as well.

Please show me the specific line item in Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution allowing the Federal Government to legislate or spend money on EDUCATION. Until you can do that, these monies and ALL OTHER Federal Education spending need to be cut completely out of the budget; and all Federal Educational legislation, including No Child Left Behind needs to be declared void as unconstitutional.

We shouldn't be handing out money through the government to begin with, but I would like to see a lot more of the private educational financing groups go down the road you're suggesting, LWC.

It's not about being Honorable. It's about being Legal and Constitutional. If YOU want to take extra money out of your pocket to pay to educate others, GREAT. Have at it. I wish you the best of luck with that. I have no kids. I never will. Why the hell should I be paying for these kids to go and spend 4 years of drunken revelry?

No. Some of us just don't want to pay for the education of other people's children. There used to be a time in this country where, if you wanted your kid educated, YOU paid for it. They got whatever level of education you could work out to pay for. That is what we ought to be going back to.

10. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,414
    Spending 4 years in college for a General Studies degree isn't educated.

Watse your own money and time.