GOP puzzled as Michael Steele courts diplomats

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
GOP puzzled as Michael Steele courts diplomats - Jonathan Martin and Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

The Republican National Committee is trying to set up meetings between Chairman Michael Steele and foreign ambassadors to the United States, according to an e-mail obtained by POLITICO — an effort that has puzzled diplomats as well as fellow Republicans.

An RNC intern sent a message late last month to at least one ambassador on behalf of Neil Alpert, a senior finance aide, with little explanation.

RNC spokesman Doug Heye declined to comment on why Steele would want to set up individual meetings with the foreign diplomats, whether he’s had any meetings with them, and if he would continue to pursue such get-togethers.

But one European embassy official told POLITICO his embassy had received the generic-sounding message in a general inquiry in-box and indicated that he didn’t know what to make of the note.

It is illegal for foreign nationals to contribute to American candidates or political parties.

Steele has long sought to cultivate foreign officials. As Maryland’s lieutenant governor, he spent more than $60,000 of state money for at least seven trips overseas including to France, Austria, South Africa and Israel.

He still retains support among some members of the party committee — who control his fate as chairman — but the upper ranks of the GOP have largely written him off and have begun hoping he’ll only be a minor distraction in the final months before Election Day.

:lol:

Thoughts USMB?

another "positive" gop thread by the self proclaim non partisan modbert

obama goes on a world tour before his presidency....thoughts? oh wait, thats a dem, its ok....nevermind

steele is a tool...i've never liked him and don't understand half of what he does and what he is doing here makes zero sense...

wasn't he a democrat once?

obama goes on a world tour before his presidency....thoughts? oh wait, thats a dem, its ok....nevermind

steele is a tool...i've never liked him and don't understand half of what he does and what he is doing here makes zero sense...

:lol: I thought the GOP didn't like Steele. You don't, and I know Frank doesn't.

Odd, how is going on a world tour before he's President of the United States and trying to get money from diplomats for a political party which is illegal by the way the same thing?

i'll speak in modbert language

busted.jpg

:lol: I thought the GOP didn't like Steele. You don't, and I know Frank doesn't.

Odd, how is going on a world tour before he's President of the United States and trying to get money from diplomats for a political party which is illegal by the way the same thing?

You'd think Steele might have learned from the Clinton Administration's shady dealings:

Justice Department investigators believe they have established such a link, based on testimony provided by California businessman Johnny Chung. Chung, who made hundreds of thousands of dollars in questionable contributions to the Democratic National Committee, began cooperating with the Justice Department after pleading guilty to campaign-related bank and tax fraud charges in March. Chung reportedly told investigators that a significant portion of his 1996 contributions came from China's People's Liberation Army by way of Liu Chao-Ying, a lieutenant colonel who also is a top executive of Beijing's state-owned aerospace company, China Aerospace. That same year, the Clinton administration was making it easier for American commercial satellites to be launched by Chinese rockets--a move that benefitted Liu's company.

:lol::lol::lol:

says the liar who can't man up and apologize and instead posts pictures after picture saying the same thing....so i am just trying to communicate with you down at your level

liar2.jpg

GOP puzzled as Michael Steele courts diplomats - Jonathan Martin and Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

The Republican National Committee is trying to set up meetings between Chairman Michael Steele and foreign ambassadors to the United States, according to an e-mail obtained by POLITICO — an effort that has puzzled diplomats as well as fellow Republicans.

An RNC intern sent a message late last month to at least one ambassador on behalf of Neil Alpert, a senior finance aide, with little explanation.

RNC spokesman Doug Heye declined to comment on why Steele would want to set up individual meetings with the foreign diplomats, whether he’s had any meetings with them, and if he would continue to pursue such get-togethers.

Steele has long sought to cultivate foreign officials. As Maryland’s lieutenant governor, he spent more than $60,000 of state money for at least seven trips overseas including to France, Austria, South Africa and Israel.

He still retains support among some members of the party committee — who control his fate as chairman — but the upper ranks of the GOP have largely written him off and have begun hoping he’ll only be a minor distraction in the final months before Election Day.

:lol:

Thoughts USMB?

IIf those in the GOP call for him to step down you liberals will call them racist.

That's great Yurt, but I do hope you're not going to spam my thread with things irrelevant to the topic. :eusa_whistle:

Just wait. It will happen those on the left will one more time call the GOP racist for telling a blackman to step down. Thats how you liberals work.

I hope the GOP keeps Steele. :)

But if they let him go, I'm sure they'll get someone just as good. Like Sarah Palin. :D

Just wait. It will happen those on the left will one more time call the GOP racist for telling a blackman to step down. Thats how you liberals work.

But if they let him go, I'm sure they'll get someone just as good. Like Sarah Palin. :D

Thanks but your approval of Sarah is not needed. but thanks anyway.

what they need is to find the republican equivalent of howard dean. huaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Forum List

Back